U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 AM

432 posts, read 1,272,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
It seems like here, the best way to combat mold in the hot humid summer is to run the a/c. In houses I've been in with mold, its usually because the residents don't run the a/c very often (to save $$). In Seattle since there's no a/c, would a dehumidifier work?
Mold in Seattle grows in winter/spring/fall- summer is the dry time and least moldy. Having good air circulation (forced air heat or cieiling fans fans and a wood stove) helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 02:33 PM

99 posts, read 253,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
...and then we have, during only a very short period of the year these giant harmless bugs I've known as skeeter eaters...Supposedly they eat mosquitos, but they sometimes find their way inside and hang out on the wall. They're huge! The size of a small dog!
Huge yes size as a small dog ummm no that there was funny though. I am 39 been here my whole life lived in all areas of Seattle & have never ever seen one the size of a small dog

Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,198,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
It seems likehere (not Seattle), the best way to combat mold in the hot humid summer is to run the a/c. In houses I've been in with mold, its usually because the residents don't run the a/c very often (to save $$). In Seattle since there's no a/c, would a dehumidifier work?
Seattle doesn't have a lot of humidity in the winter, and almost none in summer.
If you put on a dehumidifier in the summer in Seattle, the air would crack and turn to powder

Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 PM

15,784 posts, read 13,499,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Seattle doesn't have a lot of humidity in the winter, and almost none in summer.
If you put on a dehumidifier in the summer in Seattle, the air would crack and turn to powder
Actually Seattle humidity is EXTREMELY high in the winter.
Not particularly high in the summer though (more so than California and the SW, but much less than the MidWest or East Coast.

Take a look (scroll down):

http://www.city-data.com/city/Seattle-Washington.html

Ken

Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 PM

300 posts, read 791,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
WHenever I or my kids get sick we put them in warm air (heaters in rooms). They get those seal coughs. And yes, I do keep myself and the kids indoors most of the year.
Do you mean croup?

If so, that's the last place you want to put your kids into: a dry, heated room.

Croup is treated with high humidity, such as going outside where it's cold and moist, or taking your kid into a steamy shower.

How to Treat Croup at Home - Treating Croup - How Croup is Treated (http://lungdiseases.about.com/od/croup/a/treating_croup.htm - broken link)

Old 08-14-2008, 12:20 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,734,251 times
The Allergy Council rated Seattle #100 on its list of places with the worst fall allergies. Austin TX, where I moved from last year, was #1. So my husband and kids are almost never sick here. Ironically I developed a mold allergy in Austin so it kicks my butt here too March to May. Otherwise we are far less sick in WA than we were in TX. Maybe because the air is way cleaner?? The bugs here are not intimidating at all and I love not having to deal with poisonous snakes, scorpions and GIANT bugs. It's all relative but we have been healthier here on the whole. I don't live in a flood plain, and again, I moved here from a place where flash floods could develop in an hour out of a sunny day but it does flood here occasionally in low lying areas. I think that can happen anywhere.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:21 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,734,251 times
But my BF from TX always jokes with me about getting emails home from school about bears and cougars being sighted...so maybe it's a trade off from bugs and snakes??

Old 02-15-2009, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
Yes there seems to be a major mold problem with living in the PNW area.

I am a San Francisco Native, born and raised, and have been in the Seattle area for 1.5 years to date. I hope this will help you prepare.

Proper disclosure though, I am interested in moving back to California and am in the process of replanning my move back to the Golden State as the Emerald State just doesn't do it for me.

Ok so with that semi-bias put aside, living in an apartment mold seems to be a nagging issue mainly in the bathroom areas. If you are not on top of cleaning up and drying your areas the mold infests like a bad apple. I can definitely smell subtle mold in the air occasionally. Bath towels usually need to be washed after 2 days otherwise they'll carry an awful smell of wet dampness as well. Nothing dries here during every season but Summer, so be prepared to keep the heater on full blast all year long.

Colds are not due to the weather, but due to people infecting each other, so with the rain and heavy winds and freezing temperatures during most of October through May, having people choosing to mainly stay indoors is a breeding pool for germs. The air itself is relatively clean and smells fresh on most wet days, the sunnier days you can see the smog in the air. I don't have allergies so can't give you a perspective from there.

So yeah, having more people stuffed indoors like in the office all day due to the rain will make spreading germs easier, but theres no heavy correlation.

I haven't had a problem with bugs and the ickys. I rarely notice insects, especially in the house they are not there. I would say that I have seen more insect related problems, like ants invading the house while I was in San Francisco and not here in Seattle.

Now back to my own biased opinion. If you are looking for a nice place to live Seattle isn't that bad if you can withstand the S.A.D. and if you like heavy winds. It doesn't rain as much as the news would portray here, but when it does rain it can go on for days on end, and add that to the overcasted skies it really can affect your mood.

I am an indoors person so I don't feel as if the weather has kept me from living the lifestyle that I like, but if you're not too into getting wet, and you like walks in the parks all the time, than its not gonna be fun for you here.

I know homes and rents are cheaper here than a comparable dwelling in California, but I would pay that premium to be in California. The commutes here are the worst.

Come here if you want more for your money, and can trade off the price for the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area