Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 AM

18 posts, read 65,593 times

Advertisements

I am a native from Las Vegas, NV. I am looking to move to the Seattle area, not only to escape from the oppressing heat but to look for a better quality of life. My fiance is having a hard time and is extremely hesitate to move. He has moved several times during his childhood (in San Jose/Milipitas area of CA). I am looking at the Seattle area for the culture and outdoor activities, and of course, the change in climate. I am sure this must sound like a broken record by the forum posts asking for advice; however, again I am asking for reviews/suggestions/opinions about Seattle, and looking for some persuasion points for my fiance. I am looking for everyone's opinion, from singles to families.
A little background: I am in the healthcare industry, my fiance is into computers (not programming yet, but learning), he is currently in Quality Assurance for a local plumbing company.

Thank you for your help! Great forum, great information!

Sincerely, Anne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Hi Anne,
A couple of possible persuasion points for your fiance...
It doesn't become 120 degrees here, ever. It stays cool often.
There's lots of green trees and water, tree covered mountains, and lots of outdoor activities. It's much less glitzy than Las Vegas. While some people dress elegantly and tastefully, Seattle is famous for very casual wear.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
Make sure your boyfriend is 100% on board. From a Calif, it's a rough place to be when you are comfortable in the hotter climates.

Sure it's green and lush - but how does it get like that? lots of moist air and cloudy days.

I couldn't hack it - and I got severely depressed living here. If your boyufriend is not 100% on board you might he falls into a funk too. This place is beautiful but it's not for everyone

Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 PM

231 posts, read 587,341 times
I lived in Seattle for 20 years and just moved to Las Vegas last November so I may be a good resource for you. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,911 times
Do yourself a favor and don't do it. It rains constantly, is overcrowded and all-around a lifeless place to be. Look at the Seattle freeze thread. Nice mountain, though.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,232 times
So it's both overcrowded and lifeless all at once? Define lifeless, because when I go for my daily walk to pike place market this afternoon, I don't expect to see much lifelessness.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:32 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
It rains constantly
"Constantly"

So ----- in your experience, rain (not drizzle) falls here 24 hours a day, 365 days a year? Wow!
Statistics and human observation both claim that it doesn't rain that much even in rain forests -- Olympic, Tongass, Amazon, etc.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't do it. It rains constantly, is overcrowded and all-around a lifeless place to be. Look at the Seattle freeze thread. Nice mountain, though.
I am guessing he means something more like "soul-less"

Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I am guessing he means something more like "soul-less"
Regardless of what he means, Seattle is far from "soul-less", or "lifeless".

Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM

658 posts, read 830,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
So it's both overcrowded and lifeless all at once? Define lifeless, because when I go for my daily walk to pike place market this afternoon, I don't expect to see much lifelessness.
In the city itself, people are unfriendly unless you have something to offer them. This is true in any West-coast city I have visited. Towns were better. Get two hours away from the Seattle city limits to meet real people who actually want to know you. Looking less than two hours out will get you out of the city but will not get you away from the city people who moved just outside the city limits... no improvement.

Mass transit is poor here, which contributes to the long commutes and the need to commute from afar.

On the plus side, I moved up from the desert and miss the heat one day per year only (in the middle of May when we wait for summer to arrive), in which case I turn on the bathroom french fry lamp for a few hours (just enough to sweat without a good reason) and whamo, I'm cured!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area