Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 AM

81 posts, read 285,232 times

Advertisements

I just visited Seattle for a week last month. I'm from LA, but I had been traveling around Europe for several months and was ready to be surrounded by loud obnoxious Americans upon my return. But then I flew up to Seattle.

And I was impressed. I walked around downtown, and people actually made eye contact with me and smiled, imagine that! None of those glares I'm used to, which say "how dare you even glance at me; don't bother me, I'm too important". Everyone was so genuine. And the drivers! They all made full stops at stop signs, waited for pedestrians to cross, and signaled before changing lanes instead of swooping across the freeway to make their exit.

I don't know if everyone there is like this all the time or only during those days without precipitation, but luckily or not, I brought some sunshine with me. It really makes those great trees on the gorgeous mountainsides shine even more brightly green upon the peaceful lakes and sound.

I just want to say thanks to everyone in Seattle. What an awesome city. I will definitely return, probably just as a visitor, since I can't handle temperatures below 55 and my brain just can't wrap itself around the idea that water can fall from the sky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM

474 posts, read 1,455,324 times
Default How refreshing!

Thanks much for the post.

It becomes tiresome to read all of the negative, gloomy posts here that don't correspond at all to my experiences in this city.

Be careful though - those smiles you saw from people will be attacked as disingenuous by certain posters on this board

Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Yes Salty, I agree -- thank you, Strategery! It's so nice to hear someone say that we are as nice as we know we are
Our friendliness and relaxation are the major reason I felt the fairly rhapsodic enjoyment you express, and so chose to plant my roots here over 20 years ago, and I still love the people, the clouds, the trees, the air. Thank you, Strategery.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 PM

37 posts, read 129,425 times
Wow! Now I feel homesick. I miss Seattle!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Renewal View Post
Wow! Now I feel homesick. I miss Seattle!
I second that emotion!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery52 View Post
I just visited Seattle for a week last month. I'm from LA, but I had been traveling around Europe for several months and was ready to be surrounded by loud obnoxious Americans upon my return. But then I flew up to Seattle.

And I was impressed. I walked around downtown, and people actually made eye contact with me and smiled, imagine that! None of those glares I'm used to, which say "how dare you even glance at me; don't bother me, I'm too important". Everyone was so genuine. And the drivers! They all made full stops at stop signs, waited for pedestrians to cross, and signaled before changing lanes instead of swooping across the freeway to make their exit.

I don't know if everyone there is like this all the time or only during those days without precipitation, but luckily or not, I brought some sunshine with me. It really makes those great trees on the gorgeous mountainsides shine even more brightly green upon the peaceful lakes and sound.

I just want to say thanks to everyone in Seattle. What an awesome city. I will definitely return, probably just as a visitor, since I can't handle temperatures below 55 and my brain just can't wrap itself around the idea that water can fall from the sky
We experienced exactly the same thing in Seattle. It was amazing, and so refreshing! People smiling and saying hello ... courteous drivers who come to complete stops for pedestrians in the middle of a busy street ... nobody honking and screaming at you if you don't jackrabbit your car the split second the light turns green. After several years in DC, I didn't think people like this even existed anymore! What a total blast of fresh air. The absolutely gorgeous scenery only made things even better. My wife and I are looking for a place to move next year, and I think we may have found it.

Amazing city. I offer my thanks as well to all you Seattleites who made your city so welcoming and inviting.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 PM

439 posts, read 1,242,102 times
Out of all the bad things I hear about Seattle drivers, I've always found them to be among the most courteous.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:41 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,352 times
Seattle is a completely different place (people included) in summer.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:26 PM

64 posts, read 250,976 times
According to many on this forum, summer in Seattle is July and August. He visited in June.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:58 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joplinlb View Post
According to many on this forum, summer in Seattle is July and August. He visited in June.
But he did say he brought the sunshine with him. So he was here when it was sunny and when it's sunny here, people's dispositions are bit sunnier as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: