Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:28 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Seattletony Yeah don't come to Seattle looking for 300 days of sun that shouldn't be a news flash and no one ever said it doesn't rain in Seattle but making a blanket comment like it rains a 11 months out of the year yeah thats informative and accurrate. Statistics tell the tale because you say one thing I say another. Back up what you say with numbers and facts not random knee jerk comments.
That's pretty mean, Seattletony. I don't know if you were raised there or not, but many people don't know what it is like there, and especially if they are coming from a totally different environment. It is obvious you love the wetness there (I have frequently referred to it as "wetness" and "grey clouds"). I have lived in many different environments, and I think it is fair, and proper, for me to give my OPINION based on my experience. Statistics are NOT accurate. Statistics also do not reflect how an area is prepared for various kinds of weather (i.e. Colorado -- most people think of it as snow, but that's only in the ski areas -- being from Buffalo, I KNOW what snow is, and it is NOT what is on the Front Range of Colorado).

You may not appreciate people who do not agree with you citing their opinions based on their factual experiences, however, this is what people are asking about. You are way too defensive about it.

For whoever reads this, just learn to sort through things, and try to find people you know (not just on message boards) who have actually experienced the place(s) you intend to relocate to. That is best, if possible.

I tend to listen more to others who have experienced a wide variety of things, especially in relocation issues, because I can bounce it back to them, and ask, "Is it like this place, or that place...?" or whatever. It gives me a better perspective.

And, it is true that to follow statistics is misleading....contrary to those who say they're not. People who have lived in humidity and then go to a low humidity place are quite surprised at the difference between 80 degrees with humidity, and 80 degrees without humidity -- it's a significant difference.

When I moved to Arizona, I literally called Time and Temperature every day for a year because I could not figure out what temperature it really was! It would say 72 degrees on the thermometer, but it felt like what 52 degrees felt like to me back east. And 95 degrees, felt like a comfortable 75 degrees there. It was weird. And in Colorado, it could be 40 degrees but it felt like what I was used to for 60 degrees! However, when you statistically look at the weather and if you don't know what those differences are with or without humidity, it is very difficult to accurately assess what you will or will not experience.

This is not meant to be an exercise in futility, and I'm glad that Seattletony started the "What I like/love about Seattle" thread -- it's a good balance.

However, there is no point in criticizing people for legitimately answering a question based on their experience, especially if someone is relocating from an area that one has lived in before and can tell that person the differences involved.

So, that's it folks. Good luck with what you all decide to do. I can see that opinions like mine are not welcome on this thread. Bye.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:48 PM

170 posts, read 847,104 times
Wisteria,

I see the point you are trying to make. For the most part you are right. Just because the temperature is one thing does not mean it will "feel" like that.

However much of what you said was opinion. For you 40 degrees in Colorado may feel like 60 back east but to somebody else it will be freezing. Stating what temperatures feel like to you is subjective.

A better indicator is the comfort index. Take a look at this link:

http://encarta.msn.com/media_701500887/Heat_Comfort_Index.html (broken link)

Accu Weather uses a "Real Feel" indicator to let us know what the air temperature actually feels like as opposed to just what the temperature says. Here is the link to the Seattle page:

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-fo...&zipcode=98101

On the right hand side you can play a video of the weather forcast.

Either way, how a person feels depends on many different factors. As a pilot I have extensive experience with weather and how weather works. To go into detail would take to long, but suffice it to say that variables such as dew point, humidity, and sky cover affect how air actually feels.

Tolerance levels, which is kind of what you were touching on, is like I said subjective and varies according to each person. I'm sure someone from Alaska could go to Colorado and never feel cold again where as someone from Puerto Rico would freeze during 10 months of the year.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
Embraer However much of what you said was opinion. For you 40 degrees in Colorado may feel like 60 back east but to somebody else it will be freezing. Stating what temperatures feel like to you is subjective.

A better indicator is the comfort index. Take a look at this link:

http://encarta.msn.com/media_7015008...ort_Index.html (broken link)

Accu Weather uses a "Real Feel" indicator to let us know what the air temperature actually feels like as opposed to just what the temperature says. Here is the link to the Seattle page:

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-fo...&zipcode=98101 (broken link)

On the right hand side you can play a video of the weather forcast.

Either way, how a person feels depends on many different factors. As a pilot I have extensive experience with weather and how weather works. To go into detail would take to long, but suffice it to say that variables such as dew point, humidity, and sky cover affect how air actually feels.
Thanks for the links -- very interesting. That was my whole point about my posts - it is how I experienced the area, in addition to the "real" information about clouds, etc. And that is why I think it's silly to attack people for their own subjective experiences. I have repeatedly said that I do not tolerate wetness and grey clouds; and it is cloudy a majority of the time in Seattle, and although there are not downpours like in other cities (especially on the eastcoast), it is still wet. It's not an hallucination.

I have tried to indicate where I have lived, and how it has felt for me. I have found it interesting to talk to people from Buffalo and see how they feel about say, Arizona and Colorado - we seem to pretty much agree. So, that is why I have tried to mostly comment to people coming from places I have lived or the climates I have lived in. It gives a more common ground.

As for a "comfort" level, I found it extremely uncomfortable where I am now in Central California for the first few years! I found it COLD! I was not used to living in uninsulated houses with little central heat, and wood stoves. I wasn't used to people not putting their heaters on and I was not used to the chill from the low humidity. I adapted, but fortunately, there is sunshine here so I don't have to worry about SAD.

It's just frustrating -- you try to help people out -- and even those links you so kindly gave, don't really tell you what the feel is because they are from a mutual starting point, but don't give you the difference, say between Florida and Arizona.

That's why I gave up trying to say anything anymore unless it's someone from a similar area because you can compare better. Being from Buffalo, it is an entirely different world of weather in other places, and I find it so interesting, considering I had no idea that snow was so different in different places (i.e. wet and "thick" or flakes, as opposed to "dry" and like little pellets). It's fascinating, actually.

But I realize it's silly to give opinions based on your own experiences in that way. That's why I generally advise people to actually GO to the place they are questioning. I just don't like being attacked for my opinions or being told that statistics are infallible -- statisticians even agree -- they're useful tools depending on the context.

I give up. No more weather threads. I've lived all over the country and I try to only put the weather into the context of "it's like this here, and like that there," and then allow people who have lived in those places see how it might compare. You're right, each person is different, although sometimes cold IS cold, and sometimes hot IS hot, and sometimes, wet IS wet, etc.

Well, I did try to relate my experience, and, unfortunately, some posters take great offense at that. I tried to help, only it is not worthwhile to venture here any longer.

Good luck all. May the force be with you!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Default Embraer

Quote:
And to those who hate Seattle and have moved away:

MOVE ON!

Why even hang out on a Seattle message board if you hate it that much??

So far the following places are better than Seattle according to these gruntled ex residents: Pittsburg, Colorado, Central Texas, and Arizona.
If you are referring to me, I have never lived in Seattle. I don't believe boylocke has either, and we are the only ones who have mentioned Pittsburgh on this thread. (Please note correct spelling, there is an "h" on the end.) I know some Seattleites (sp?) who are extremely defensive about their weather, yet quick to criticize the weather someplace else, e.g. Colorado. Frankly, I would take Denver's or even Pittsburgh's weather over Seattle's, but that is not the point. The point is, it seems to me, most Seattleites know their weather is awful at least 3/4 of the year, but they put a lot of energy into trying to tell us it's not. We aren't stupid.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 PM

170 posts, read 847,104 times
We just got done talking about how people's perceptions regarding weather vary and you come along and ask why Seattle residents don't admit that the weather is awful????

Ever stop to think that what may be awful to you is perfect for others? After all Seattle is one of the largest metro areas in the country, attracts the largest amount of university graduates with BAs and Masters degrees than any other large city, and is the HQ of various large national/international corporations.

All that despite the fact that the weather is awful as you call it? It doesn't add up. We all agree that Seattle's weather is not for everyone. Just like Florida's weather is not for everyone and neither is New Yorks or anyother area's weather going to be for everyone.

Just accept that and move on. Maybe you and Jenbar should get together and discuss how awful Seattle weather is. Right after you finish shoveling the snow from your driveway and Jenbar gathers up enough courage to venture out in the 105 degree heat.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
Quote:
Maybe you and Jenbar should get together and discuss how awful Seattle weather is. Right after you finish shoveling the snow from your driveway and Jenbar gathers up enough courage to venture out in the 105 degree heat.
I don't think I am the only person here discussing how bad the weather is in Seattle - so I don't know why I am constantly getting singled out.

I only JUST moved to Austin - I actually got enough courage to venture away from... THE RAIN! It hasn't hit 105 here yet - but I am looking forward to it. We are an active family - and you won't find us sitting around in the AC all day.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Well again, what's compelling those of us who irritate the select bunch here who only want to hear good things about Seattle to keep responding and not go away and "move on" as tony, pwright, embraer, et al. want us to do??

It's because those nice folks continue to make snide comments that "compel" those of us who didn't/don't like the weather in Seattle, to respond back and not go away.

A lot of this is subjective and we ALL are expressing OPINIONS folks! Nobody necessarily is right or wrong here. We are all guilty of reporting inaccurate facts as it pertains to somebody else's feelings on the subject.

Those of you who want those of us who don't like Seattle's weather to go away and move on, don't necessarily make it easy for us to do so with your comments.

I know it's going to take a lot more than snide comments to make me go away and move on. I get the feeling that Jenbar feels similarly. So I hope we can discuss weather or anything else about Seattle in a civilized manner.

--'rocco

Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Honestly - it probably does feels like "Seattle Bashing", and for that I'm sorry, because when people do "Sacramento Bashing" I get all uppity too

But I still live in Seattle, and because I've been here three years now I feel justified in bashing the weather. It has been literally the most depressing time in my life, and I wish I could move back to California, but I can't.

If there was a thread like "Hey what's great about Wallingford??" Or "Where's your favortie sushi?" I'd be giving glowing reports...but we talk about weather and I will be down right honest. It sucks.

I know there are great things here in Seattle, but it's been horrible here for me, and I guess I say my opinions in hope that no one else has to go through the sickness from moisture or loneliness from being locked up in my house from being cold - that I had to go through.

Plus I think everyone should state if they have kids too, because that to me is a big factor. It SO MUCH HARDER to go out and do things with small children or babies in the cold, you want to keep them away from the weather that could make them sick and miserable. And as an example EAster Egg HUnts I always did in Calif were sunny and warm and lovely - here last year I was SO PISSED OFF, because we were at Woodland Zoo Bunny Hop and it was DOWNPOURING rain and it was freezing cold and muddy - that is not the Easter Sunday I know - it's crap. And potential people moving here should know these things.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Disrespecting elders with more experience...

Embraer, I know you said you're a pilot -- have you flown in during all four seasons throughout the U.S.?? (and the world?) I'm only curious because for some reason I feel like I'm made to think I'm hallucinating the constant grey clouds, mist and rain in Seattle, when I know I'm not. I am not saying that some people like or tolerate the rain better, I'm only saying that there is a reality to the weather, and if one is prone to reacting to it, that it is fair for them to know the truth so that they can evaluate better. That is supposed to be the point of helping others.

I don't understand why in the world this thread has turned into a defending Seattle weather as great, when the thread was weather misconception? If all of you who have come down on me as a person who lived there for many years and are telling me it wasn't wet and cloudy the majority of the time are truly sincere, then I think this thread should be closed.

It seems that the people who are defending the weather are either those who were raised there (and I know how that is because I was raised in Buffalo, and I know that I thought the winters there were "normal"), or they have never lived there for years at a time.

If we have a pilot here, I hope that he is with an international airline and flies all over the world and can give true insight. I have a hunch, though, that he's not, otherwise, I don't believe the opinion would be as it is. And, as is ignored, I have frequently stated that Seattle has a lot of amenities -- which it does -- it just gets really wearing to trudge through rain, wet, mist, greyness through all the wonderful events that go on there. (And think of dragging little kids along with you through that....) Sometimes it's just the grey, but very often it's also raining or misting. Yes, millions of people live there, and I know of a lot of people "stuck" there because of work, or family, or children, etc., even though they moved there thinking it was the "Emerald City" and would be different -- I know so many people who are still living there, or have moved who are not hesitant at all to agree that the wet and cold get to them.

Many were like me and had visited during a "wet" season (April) for a few days, and although my friends insisted that it had not stopped raining for 6 months prior to my visit, I thought they were deluded -- they weren't -- I just didn't believe them. This is a thread about weather --- NOT about all the great things of Seattle, which there are many. For people who are not weather-reactive, it can be an ideal place to live -- for those who are weather-reactive, it is fair to let them know so if they have choices, perhaps a different weather locale could be more appropriate.

My only point for even trying to put an opinion based on personal experience, not conjecture, was that other people like me will probably move there and then NOT be in a position to relocate once they are either very depressed, or sick (like my daughter), or tired of so little sun and weeks and months of grey misty rain. I thought it only fair to state from someone like myself who has lived in many places that it is really different than what people portray, or people fantasize. It IS a lovely city, and I often felt sad that it was a port town that built up in that one area where the clouds and rain just socked it in -- yet you could go north to Vancouver, and generally it was really nice weather in contrast.

I think they should close this thread, and those of you who have never lived in weather like that, or have never lived elsewhere with very contrasting weather for long lengths of time and can't reasonably compare, can start a bashing thread toward others who have traveled and lived a lot of other places for what appears to be (but is not) trying to steer people from a place, instead of thinking that maybe there are others out there like us who would appreciate an honest point of view from a non-native or someone who has lived in various contrasting kinds of weather.

This sounds to me like teenagers fighting. I am one of your elders and I have 6 decades of life experience and living different places (add it up -- I'm not a youngster). I am ashamed that people are so ready to jump down other people's throats when one has experienced more. Instead of respecting others who have gone through more, we're being made fun of. I find it totally disrespectful and uncalled for.

Thank you.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 AM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times
I lived in Ak for 14 years. kinda similar to Seattle except without all the rain. I have been to Seattle and actually enjoy having a few consecutive days of rain and clouds. Like everyone else has stated (don't understand why none of you can get it into your head!!!) there are those who like Seattle weather, and there are those that won't and don't like Seattle weather. Stop bi***ing about it and go onto something else. Like you don't have something better to do than argue over clouds and rain.

Who cares if you like 105 F and 100% humidity. Who cares if you like 65 F and cloudless skies. Just stop arguing over something so damn silly.

Daniel True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area