U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2008, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
Default Coming from NYC, what is a fun Seattle area neighborhood

I am thinking about living in the Seattle area. Right now I am staying with relatives in Burien. I dont really like strip mall suburban nature of this environment.
I was living in Bushwick and the LES, but the high rent and mean people drove me out of NYC.
This city is really big and it hard to explore all the neighborhoods without guidance. So, maybe you can help me find a place.
I'm 27, single, and looking for cheap rent. I like to bike instead of drive and maybe have some beer at night. I am looking for an area with visible life on the street, cheap food, and a mix of interesting unique people. An all night taco stand or a vegan cafe would be cool.
I dont mind a dirty or not super-nice neighborhood, just as long as there aren't people being shot everyday.
sorry if this is vague, but it is hard to describe something if you dont know it exists
Thanks
Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM

480 posts, read 1,516,980 times
You should look at moving further north into West Seattle. A good friend of mine moved into the Delridge area about a year ago and loves it to pieces!

Columbia City and Georgetown are probably other candidates for you to look at as well.

Cheap is in the eye of the beholder, but those are probably the three best neighborhoods (a bit gritty but having a core, neighborhood feel to them) for you to look at. Also, they are not that far from Burien, so you would still be relatively close to family.

In general, south of Downtown is cheaper than north of Downtown.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:31 PM

374 posts, read 770,865 times
Default Fremont, Wallingford, et al

As the previous poster stated, North Seattle tends to cost a bit more, but there are always places within your budget if you're renting or sub letting.

Fremont, Wallingford, Eastlake, Phinney Ridge, Capitol Hill, Madrona... all bike-friendly with an active street life. Ballard too, though pretty far West for biking around town.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:45 PM

3,874 posts, read 10,927,382 times
Here's some previous wisdom that might have some ideas for you:

Yet Another "Moving to Seattle" Post!

Intern in Seattle with family - coming from NYC

Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,370 times
Default Nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrow1 View Post
I am thinking about living in the Seattle area. Right now I am staying with relatives in Burien. I dont really like strip mall suburban nature of this environment.
I was living in Bushwick and the LES, but the high rent and mean people drove me out of NYC.
This city is really big and it hard to explore all the neighborhoods without guidance. So, maybe you can help me find a place.
I'm 27, single, and looking for cheap rent. I like to bike instead of drive and maybe have some beer at night. I am looking for an area with visible life on the street, cheap food, and a mix of interesting unique people. An all night taco stand or a vegan cafe would be cool.
I dont mind a dirty or not super-nice neighborhood, just as long as there aren't people being shot everyday.
sorry if this is vague, but it is hard to describe something if you dont know it exists
Thanks
Pat
WOw, sounds weird about NY, there are a lot of places that you can find in Seattle, I suggest to go to Craigslist.com you can find a really cheap places to live, well with roomates, I just move to seattle a few years ago,
I think is a nice city, actually I was thinking about going to NYC in december, any specific places that you can suggest?
well, north seattle is totally different than the south, you should try U-distrit, capitol hill area, or Queen Anne Area, these are a really cool areas to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area