U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 PM

346 posts, read 410,183 times
Default Seattle compared to Chicago?

Hi everyone,

I must say after viewing some of the pictures of Seattle, I was taken away by the beauty of the city. It seems like a very clean, lively, and trendy city.

My question is, how does Seattle compare to Chicago?

What is the climate like in Seattle? Chicago can have some harsh winters which can be trying.

How "pricey" is the housing in Seattle overall compared to Chicago?

Being of Greek descent, I love the Greektown here. Does Seattle have one?

Is there a lot of crime? Chicago has its troubles, and it does get annoying when sizable chunks of your city are offlimits due to high crime. Is the metro area large and widespread or dense and packed? It seems like a younger city than most other cities, is this accurate?

I love Chicago, but Seattle seems to be high on my list of beautiful cities.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 PM

39 posts, read 164,617 times
Pretty good city. Be careful of the southern and eastern parts of Tacoma. Also be careful of parts of Lakewood.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:50 PM

7,972 posts, read 13,450,363 times
Hi GreXican,
Populationwise, Seattle is a much smaller city than Chitown. Crime is lower, although there are parts of town that are more crime ridden than others...I've been lost in Chicago in some bad areas, and was scared to death, and have never felt that level of fear here, even in Seattle's "bad" areas....The metro area is large and widespread. The climate here is milder, with cooler summers and warmer winters, but less sunshine. We don't get blizzards with snow in the winter, but we can have cold, windy, rainy days in the winter and fairly long stretches of skies that are mostly cloudy..
Houses and apartments cost more here. Somewhat less in some of the outlying areas than in Seattle itself, but less expensive than San Francisco.
There isn't a Greektown or a large Greek community, but there are some awesome Greek restaurants, and the St. Demetrious Orthodox church holds a very popular festival every year with absolutely amazing food like galaktabouriko.
Seattle's not as "brash" as Chicago or New York. The people tend to be less "out there", and some people feel that Seattle folk aren't warm and friendly, or that they are reserved, but an awful lot of people like it here...there's a lot of natural beauty around and lots of outdoor activities, from skiing to kayaking to mountainclimbing to gardening, and a vibrant arts/music/theatre scene.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM

500 posts, read 542,471 times
I spent 24 years in Chicago and love it and often heard how similar it was to Seattle, but they're totally different cities. Seattle winters are mild and wet but I love it, much better then Chicago winters and it's never very hot or humid in the summer like Chicago. People ***** about the weather but I think it's the best in the country. Housing is more expensive in Seattle but Chicago has higher taxes but overall Seattle is a little more expensive.

Seattle might have a Greek Town but it probably sucks compared to the west side one in Chicago. Seattle is a mostly white and mostly wealthy city. The lack of diversity is my main problem. Seattle is very safe compared to Chicago, people here freak out because of a couple shootings that take place over a span of a couple months, this city is overflowing with pansies. It's spread out but not a very big city and it's very laid back so you don't get a rush being in downtown like you do in Chicago.

Overall I like Seattle itself and surroundings more then Chicago, but the people here lack any character and are often passive aggressive elitists.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM

3,729 posts, read 5,065,960 times
I've only visited Chicago a couple of times, but our closest friends here attended Northwestern and my cousins live there. I've asked asked my friend how the two compare in the past and she says that Chicago has a more urban feel than Seattle and there is a greater "hustle and bustle" to it. What she and her husband prefer about Seattle is that one only need drive an hour and he can go hiking in the mountains. That said, my thirty year old cousin moved out here for a year and then moved back to Chicago. There was just more opportunity for him there - he is NOT a techie.

Chicago is third most populous city in the country while Seattle is somewhere like 22 or 23. Obviously with a much smaller population we don't have the diversity of a city the size of Chicago. There really aren't ethnic enclaves like there/were in Chicago. There is a Greek community here but it is much smaller.

We have a lower violent crime rate here.

In terms of housing, Seattle is really expensive in terms of homeownership BUT it's not as expensive as Chicago. For instance you can purchase a livable home here about 10 miles from downtown for about $500-600K. I might be wrong, but last time we investigated that market, homes that close in were more expensive. If you have kids, Seattle public schools, even with all of their shortcomings, are decent and safe.

Our winters are not biting cold the way they are in the upper midwest. We sometimes get a little snow and usually lows don't dip below the mid twenties. Of course with these weird weather patterns we've been having these last couple of years I cannot guarantee that will continue to be the case While we don't get the bitter cold, we do get months of gray at a time and for some of us, it can be overwhelming. When I was younger it didn't get to me, but now that I am on the cusp of middle age I have a rough time. But there are plenty of people here (some even as old as me!) that aren't bothered by it.

Finally, we don't have the awesome public transportation options like the L or Metra. We have an ok bus system but buses have to sit in traffic just like cars.

Good luck with your decision and hopefully you will get more posts from people who have actually lived in both places.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,147,815 times
Some things I like about Chicago that Seattle is missing are museums, ethnic food, trains, and Lou Pinella.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM

3,874 posts, read 10,925,157 times
For museums in Seattle, you might want to check out the first 17 pages of the Google listings of museums+Seattle:
museums loc: Seattle, WA - Google Maps

For ethnic food in Seattle, you might want to check out this long list from Afghan to Vietnamese:
Seattle Restaurants | Restaurant menus, reviews and maps on urbanspoon.com

Old 08-06-2008, 02:05 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,073,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Some things I like about Chicago that Seattle is missing are museums, ethnic food, trains, and Lou Pinella.
Seattle has just about any ethnic food you can imagine!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 PM

7,972 posts, read 13,450,363 times
I miss Lou Pinella too.
While Seattle does have just about any ethnic food you can imagine, what Chicago has that Seattle doesn't is cheap, hole in the wall Italian places. In Seattle, Italian food is good, but it's not cheap...We do, however, have an abundance of reasonably priced Thai and Vietnamese food....The Art Institute of Chicago is far better than the Seattle Art Museum...And Chicago has baseball fans that are loyal, and will root for their team no matter how lousy they are...here fans disappear when the Mariners go on one of their inevitable stretches where they lose 20 out of 25 games.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM

658 posts, read 84,847 times
Chicago's mass transit system is far superior to Seattle. Chicago has had the L and rail for a lonnnnnnnng time, while Seattle spends it's mass transit money on studies and envoronmental impact reports. Still no light rail to serve the majority of city workers/dwellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area