Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,249,550 times

Advertisements

Pros:
1. Spectacular natural setting
2. Not too hot and not too cold - temperate climate
3. Not as much crime as other big cities
4. Cultural and educational amenities - becoming more world-class, and UW is a stunning university
5. People who are polite

Cons:
1. Desirable housing is ridiculously costly, to live someplace that gloomy....see next item
2. Depressing weather - too overcast most of the year
3. Infrastructure (roads/bridges) that can't keep up with the growth and late adopters of rail transit
4. Isolated region of the country - only nearby big cities are Portland and Vancouver BC (in another country and you NOW need a passport to get in there)
5. People who are not friendly - self-absorbed, materialistic "lip service" liberals...and too many "granolas"/Subaru drivers who are too packaged to be liberal and can't see how ridiculous they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM

84 posts, read 170,313 times
living in d.c. or northern virginia people would kill for a decent home worth 300k. For a single family home you're looking at 450k and up, and that's just with a quarter of an acre of land. hopefully 300k will stick a little longer and i'll be able to get me a house at that price by the time i get out there (to seattle). it's terribly expensive here. 9% sales tax doesn't bother me with all the taxes we pay here. 5% sales, 2.5% food, personal property is at least 7%. it's impossible to live here unless you work for the government.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM

84 posts, read 170,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
PROS:
Views & access to nature
Educated, liberal culture
Multiple large vibrant neighborhoods that are family centered
Safe and fun place to raise children (lots to offer in parks/arts/education)
Thousands of small independent businesses

CONS:
Poorly organized public transportation. Need better light rail! Buses suck.
Traffic can be horrendous during rush hour (230-630pm M-F)
Expensive housing and of lower quality (old)
Public schools system has lots of issues, private schools very expensive
Bureaucracy at every level of government, change happens slowly

Live in D.C. for a week. You'd be begging to go back to Seattle traffic. Traffic here lasts from 530am-930pm. And even then there's still traffic because of the constant construction going on EVERYWHERE.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 PM

13 posts, read 38,781 times
1) Open minded people
2) the SCENERY, SCENERY, SCENERY
3) the number of recreation options
4) the best summer on Earth (anyone that complains about the weather here has never lived anywhere else)
5) Forward thinking communities

Cons
1) Self absorbed people lacking common sense
2) November and March
3) People that try harder to be cool than necessary
4) the Eastside
5) Housing cost

Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM

13 posts, read 38,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubey21 View Post
living in d.c. or northern virginia people would kill for a decent home worth 300k. For a single family home you're looking at 450k and up, and that's just with a quarter of an acre of land. hopefully 300k will stick a little longer and i'll be able to get me a house at that price by the time i get out there (to seattle). it's terribly expensive here. 9% sales tax doesn't bother me with all the taxes we pay here. 5% sales, 2.5% food, personal property is at least 7%. it's impossible to live here unless you work for the government.
I don't know of any single family homes in the downtown area that would go for less than $400K. Most condos I recently looked at (granted they were new), ran about 730 sq feet for $375K+

Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 PM

35 posts, read 106,720 times
You hit the nail on the head!

If I see one more loser driving a Subaru, wearing a Patagonia jacket and glasses with a beard and the worst possible self-absorbed manners, I might punch one of them. They are just as bad as the neo-conservatives in that they can't even stand to hear another point of view and just pass people off as being less-educated and "elite."

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Pros:
1. Spectacular natural setting
2. Not too hot and not too cold - temperate climate
3. Not as much crime as other big cities
4. Cultural and educational amenities - becoming more world-class, and UW is a stunning university
5. People who are polite

Cons:
1. Desirable housing is ridiculously costly, to live someplace that gloomy....see next item
2. Depressing weather - too overcast most of the year
3. Infrastructure (roads/bridges) that can't keep up with the growth and late adopters of rail transit
4. Isolated region of the country - only nearby big cities are Portland and Vancouver BC (in another country and you NOW need a passport to get in there)
5. People who are not friendly - self-absorbed, materialistic "lip service" liberals...and too many "granolas"/Subaru drivers who are too packaged to be liberal and can't see how ridiculous they are

Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,746,489 times
I find Subaru-driving Patagonia wearing men with glasses extraordinarily sexy. It must be the beard that you find objectionable?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,249,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashley278 View Post
Cons
4) the Eastside
I just love this one. This one will NEVER go away. Another in-towner with the "oh, you live on the Eastide...I'm sorry" mentality. The Eastside is one of my favorite Seattle areas, IMO, which would definitely be better if and when served by rail service to Seattle. There is this conception that Eastside is too conservative, plastic, and cookie-cutter. This vibe is definitely there, that's FOR SURE. Lots of plastic surgeons in Bellevue and Kirkland. However, there is nicer housing stock hidden in way more trees, more places to park, and lots of nice vistas, in addition to intelligent and equally cosmopolitan people. I don't like the older houses in Seattle proper, anything south is not interesting, and up north, really only Edmonds and Mukilteo are nice, though they kind of sit there alone. However, the whole swath of the Eastside is reliably nice.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM

35 posts, read 106,720 times
Then you must be aroused 24 hours a day because they're everywhere. Dare to be different, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I find Subaru-driving Patagonia wearing men with glasses extraordinarily sexy. It must be the beard that you find objectionable?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,599,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashley278 View Post
I don't know of any single family homes in the downtown area that would go for less than $400K. Most condos I recently looked at (granted they were new), ran about 730 sq feet for $375K+
However, there are plenty of suburban areas where 300k gets you a nice single family home. Bothell has a fair number in this range and there are quite a few here in Lynnwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area