U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Seattle area
857 posts, read 2,588,558 times
Reputation: 494

Advertisements

When you drive east on 520, between 148th and 202, you can see a mountain east and a bit north of you. Big, cone-shaped mountain. Always white. Can only see it on really clear days.

Looking at maps, I'm guessing this is Glacier Peak, but that's just a guess and I don't know if I'm right or if I'm way off.

Can anyone say for sure what mountain that is?

 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,277 posts, read 4,324,471 times
Reputation: 3072
I think Glacier Peak is correct.

Take a look at this picture, it is labeled as Mt Baker, however somebody left a comment correcting the photographer.

Glacier Peak (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davies/285293085/ - broken link)
 
Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
 
1,570 posts, read 4,289,969 times
Reputation: 598
Not sure about 520, but I can see Mt. Baker from the I-90 bridge on a clear day. From a distance it looks very conical.

Mount Baker (http://www.peakware.com/photos/24l.jpg - broken link)
 
Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Seattle area
857 posts, read 2,588,558 times
Reputation: 494
I thought it was Mt Baker -- someone else told me it was too -- until we did the whale watching from Anacortes. The mountain we could see up there was Mt Baker, and I don't think it's the same mountain.

The one I see from 520 looks to be too far east to be Mt Baker, in my decidedly non-expert opinion. I guess 520 bends north through there so I could be wrong.

It looks to be a standalone mountain, which is why I have a hard time with it being Glacier Peak as depicted in seattlerain's link. That mountain looks like one peak among many. But maybe it's just THAT much higher than everything around it (it is the only one with that much snow on it!) that it looks standalone from the angle I see it from. Hard to say....
 
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,277 posts, read 4,324,471 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
I thought it was Mt Baker -- someone else told me it was too -- until we did the whale watching from Anacortes. The mountain we could see up there was Mt Baker, and I don't think it's the same mountain.

The one I see from 520 looks to be too far east to be Mt Baker, in my decidedly non-expert opinion. I guess 520 bends north through there so I could be wrong.

It looks to be a standalone mountain, which is why I have a hard time with it being Glacier Peak as depicted in seattlerain's link. That mountain looks like one peak among many. But maybe it's just THAT much higher than everything around it (it is the only one with that much snow on it!) that it looks standalone from the angle I see it from. Hard to say....
How far in the distance it it? Mt Baker is going to be appear to be a lot further away than Glacier Peak.
 
Old 08-09-2008, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Seattle area
857 posts, read 2,588,558 times
Reputation: 494
Well, you can only see it on really, really, really clear days. And it looks to be pretty far away.

Surely some of you drive that part of 520 and see it sometimes? It's like driving south on 5 and suddenly you can see Mt St Helens -- Oh! Big mountain! There it is! And it seems SO big that it should be obvious what mountain it is. In the late afternoon/early evening on those super-clear days when the sun hits it, it turns pink. Very pretty.
 
Old 08-09-2008, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,277 posts, read 4,324,471 times
Reputation: 3072
It very well could be Mt. Baker instead of Glacier Peak because usually Mt. Baker can only be seen from the Seattle area on very clear days. I know I can see it when driving across the Snoqualmie Valley on the Woodinville-Duvall Road.
 
Old 08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Tumwater, WA
36 posts, read 140,979 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
It's like driving south on 5 and suddenly you can see Mt St Helens -- Oh! Big mountain! There it is! And it seems SO big that it should be obvious what mountain it is. In the late afternoon/early evening on those super-clear days when the sun hits it, it turns pink. Very pretty.
Are you sure you're not seeing Mt. Rainier when driving south on I-5? Rainier is generally very prominent when driving on I-5 between Seattle and Olympia. It looks like this:
Image:Mount Rainier over Tacoma.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mt. St. Helens, on the other hand, is only a bit over half as high as Mt. Rainier, is much farther south, and looks quite different, especially since blowing its top in 1980:
Image:Mt St Helens.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 AM
 
300 posts, read 809,266 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksproul View Post
Are you sure you're not seeing Mt. Rainier when driving south on I-5? Rainier is generally very prominent when driving on I-5 between Seattle and Olympia. It looks like this:
Image:Mount Rainier over Tacoma.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mt. St. Helens, on the other hand, is only a bit over half as high as Mt. Rainier, is much farther south, and looks quite different, especially since blowing its top in 1980:
Image:Mt St Helens.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, it's definitely not Rainier. It's behind the front (or back depending on your point of view) range of the Cascades looking east.

Poking around on Google Maps, my best guess is Glacier Peak.
 
Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Tumwater, WA
36 posts, read 140,979 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
No, it's definitely not Rainier. It's behind the front (or back depending on your point of view) range of the Cascades looking east.

Poking around on Google Maps, my best guess is Glacier Peak.
I was replying to jenlion's comment about driving south on I-5 (unrelated to the original question).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top