U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 AM

23 posts, read 71,145 times

Advertisements

We are moving to hopefully one of the following areas in a couple weeks as we accepted a job in Bellevue: Lynnwood, Bothell, Bellevue, Kirkland or Redmond.

We have an INCREDIBLY sweet-natured Staffordshire bull terrier/Sharpei mix baby girl and we cannot find a SINGLE rental in ANY of these areas that allow her breed. We are running out of hope! We've called SO many places (can't even count em anymore) that say they are "pet-friendly" and the like, but really they all have breed restrictions.

We need a rental for hopefully no more than $1500/mo (and that's stretching it) that allows her breed (which is often considered the same thing as a pitbull) and is nice and in a safe area, as we are also moving with our baby.

So... any suggestions? We've looked on CraigsList, nwapartments.com, rentals.com, etc, etc.... Are we missing something here or is Seattle and the areas surrounding it totally hostile toward "aggressive breeds?" I mean, just because they are a certain breed, it does not mean they are all bad apples. So frustrating. But I digress... if you know of any places, PLEASE let me know as we are running out of time and options. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 AM

8,327 posts, read 14,840,373 times
Can't you just say that the dog is a " terrier mix", which is true?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:04 AM

3,874 posts, read 11,552,811 times
I absolutely agree with Ira500. Leave out the fancy language. Say she's a terrier mix or a sharpei mis, period. Completely drop "bull" anything. We've had severe problems with some pit bulls in western washington in the past several years, and the word "bull" will stop any landlord.

Do you have this resource? The combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers in and all around Seattle -- click on the little map to drill down to areas and neighborhoods:
NWapartments: Seattle apartment rentals, house rental listings, rental classifieds and other property rentals in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and other Washington areas, cities and neighborhoods

Old 08-11-2008, 03:48 AM

1,964 posts, read 1,669,071 times
I don't agree with the last two posters. I definitely would not lie about or misrepresent your dog's breed(s). If you do that, and (heaven forbid) your dog ever did bite someone for whatever reason, you would be in BIG trouble, not only with the person who was bitten, but also with your property management company. You could get your pants sued off. Not a good idea.

But even if your dog doesn't bite anyone, if your apartment ever does find out that your dog is, in fact, a breed on the restricted list (like if a neighbor complains or a staff member notices your dog's actual breed), you could get evicted for breaching your lease contract. Not a good idea.

Most apartments are going to have breed restrictions, so you're probably, honestly, going to have a difficult time finding any apartment complex that'll allow you to have a breed on their restricted list. You may have more luck with a private rental (ie a house, privately-owned apartment/condo, etc), but maybe not.

The issue isn't so much that the owners/property managers of the apartment complexes don't like certain breeds of dogs, or are lumping them all into a "bad dog" category based on media bias. It has more to do with the property's legal liability and it's insurance policy. Most (if not all) insurance companies put restrictions on (or charge a lot more for policies on) "known aggressive breeds" since statistically, many of the restricted breeds have been involved in a substantially larger number of attacks/bites than other breeds. I read somewhere a while back that dig bites are the most common homeowner/renter insurance claim filed in the U.S. If a property restricts certain breeds, it's most likely doing so because it's insurance company requires it to. Insurance companies want to cut down on the payouts on dog bite claims, so they restrict the breeds most commonly involved in said claims.

I know you love your dog, and you're confident that she's sweet and would never hurt a fly. Unfortunately, insurance companies (and therefore, landlords) don't give a crap about your opinion. It's one of those situations where it probably would've been a better idea to get a different breed and not have to go through all the trouble. Of course, you love your dog and you can't change that now, so you're just probably going to have a very difficult time finding anywhere to rent in most cities, not just Seattle.

Sorry, and good luck.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 AM

3,226 posts, read 9,949,410 times
++ for the response above... that's pretty much what I was going to say! It's not about your specific dog, it's about their legal liability/insurance coverage...

Do not lie or misrepresent the breed of your dog to get around restrictions.

The only thing I have to add to the idea to look at private rentals would be to take your dog through Canine Good Citizen training. Having that certificate could mean a lot in the eyes of a potential landlord and could ensure an easier time of getting a rental.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM

8,327 posts, read 14,840,373 times
...I'm not sure it's lying. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is not exactly the same dog as an American Pit Bull, just similar, and this dog ts a mixed breed, so without seeing how the regulations restricting breeds reads, it's hard yo say...If the breed restrictions don't allow pit bulls, does that apply to any dog that has any amount of pit bull at all, or only pure pit bulls?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Yes, breed bans and restrictions typically refer to pure bred dogs, as well as mixes, and those that have the "appearance" of such banned breeds. That's one reason there is so much controversay with these restrictions and legislations.

I just googled quickly, and what I could find was out of California. I am not sure what the specific state, and/or city restrictions WA may have.

Dog Gone California -- Breed Specific Legislation (broken link)

I also think that when you have a suspected mixed breed, you have to provide some sort of proof from your vet that the dog in question is not on the restricted list. (For example, Boxers - not restricted, but often mistaken for Pit Bulls by clueless people).

Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM

BREED-SPECIFIC LEGISLATION

http://network.bestfriends.org/washi...ews/23633.html

Now this is just state/city - but landlords also have to answer to their insurance companies, that can put restrictions in place as well.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:30 PM

23 posts, read 71,145 times
Thanks for your contributions, everybody, I do understand the restrictions a little better now, but I still can't justify them in my head. It doesn't make it any less difficult, ya know? A real bummer to say the least. At any rate, I do appreciate your suggestions and will take them all into consideration.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 PM

480 posts, read 1,598,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoMama View Post
Thanks for your contributions, everybody, I do understand the restrictions a little better now, but I still can't justify them in my head. It doesn't make it any less difficult, ya know? A real bummer to say the least. At any rate, I do appreciate your suggestions and will take them all into consideration.
Just to inject a little bit of hope into this thread ...

My ex-roommate has a pit bull mix. Believe me, he will never be able to pass as a Pomeranian! And yet, she has been able to find places to live, in both apartments and houses.

My advice to you would be to look at renting a house, and be prepared to go off the beaten path. Walk around in the neighborhood where you want to live and take a note of "for rent" signs. Call the owners and let them know that you have a dog ... and be prepared (exuberant, even!) to show the dog and his sweet temperament off when asked to do so.

While I cannot say for sure how my roomie has managed to find so many places, I think that I can say that part of it has been that Seattle is full of dog lovers ... even the landlords. Never underestimate the power of a properly timed "hang dog look".

As long as you have good credit and good references, you will be able to find a place. Even if you don't, there is still a way where there is a will.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area