Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,679,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
here's an odd one for ya.....

why is the sun in Seattle so hot?!?!

its like glaring. I have been in sun before but it seems like the sun beats down on us Seattlites.

Freebird :

When I moved up here I noticed the same thing. I was from a hot climate but the sun in Seattle felt more intense

Here are my theories:

We are more north which is closer to the sun (just guessing)
With all the water moisture in the air it acts like mini magnifying glasses
and the other one, We are so used to NO sun, that it feels stronger when it does appear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,831,877 times
That was my guess, when I noticed the same thing. The sun does seem oddly intense and bright here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
and the other one, We are so used to NO sun, that it feels stronger when it does appear

Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 AM

121 posts, read 535,182 times
For those of you from outside the area...take note of this thread. The temperature is going to be in the 80's or possibly low 90's...or, equal to the normal summer temperature for the rest of the country...and they are issuing special heat advisories and it's a huge story.

That should tell you something about the weather....

Now, a lot of us complain that the weather here sucks most of the year, and now we get a string of AWESOME days...and we complain because it's too hot. I guess people around here are indeed never happy!

But, I will say, having a new baby has required me to actually be a little less enthusiastic about the heat...luckily we can just take him down to the basement where it's always cool and comfortable...but it is indeed less exciting than it used to be...

Old 08-14-2008, 11:00 AM

576 posts, read 1,816,299 times
I ain't complaining.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,043,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Vee View Post
For those of you from outside the area...take note of this thread. The temperature is going to be in the 80's or possibly low 90's...or, equal to the normal summer temperature for the rest of the country...and they are issuing special heat advisories and it's a huge story.

Now, a lot of us complain that the weather here sucks most of the year, and now we get a string of AWESOME days...and we complain because it's too hot. I guess people around here are indeed never happy!

But, I will say, having a new baby has required me to actually be a little less enthusiastic about the heat...luckily we can just take him down to the basement where it's always cool and comfortable...but it is indeed less exciting than it used to be...

Normally I can see Rainier from my dining room, the tops of the Olympics from my front porch, and the Cascades from my backyard...can't see any of them now due to the smog/haze.

Just got to love this weather, Heat Advisories, Smog Alerts, Air Stagnation Advisories...

Old 08-14-2008, 05:49 PM

522 posts, read 2,622,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Vee View Post

I think people wouldn't complain about the heat so much if they had air conditioning. At this moment my house is 88 degrees...ugh. I have been living in the air conditioned bedroom all day with my cat. I know those who have lived here forever say you don't need it, but we need it.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:20 PM

576 posts, read 1,816,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
I think people wouldn't complain about the heat so much if they had air conditioning. At this moment my house is 88 degrees...ugh. I have been living in the air conditioned bedroom all day with my cat. I know those who have lived here forever say you don't need it, but we need it.
The rest of the country has A/C most likely, so it's not as big of an issue. Here, a lot of us don't have A/C, and are used to it being colder (the natives, anyway). Sure, some people think I'm a wuss for finding 90 to be hot, but on the flip side, I laugh at people finding 60 to be cold. I don't even think of ditching my shorts unless it's below 50.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,679,482 times
It's 88 degrees in my house too

It's warm but I'm fine

Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM

854 posts, read 4,135,663 times
It's pushing ninety in my house. We've selected the contractor for doing the heat pump and furnace replacement. Now we just have to straighten out the electrical part, and in goes the heat pump.

Too bad I didn't do all this in June. This is nuts. Ready for cool!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,831,877 times
Our upstairs was in the upper 80s when we got home. Thank goodness we got air conditioning when we moved here and had our house built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area