Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,130 times

Advertisements

Hello! Our family is relocating to the Seattle area from a VERY small town in Eastern Montana (Glendive), pop. approx. 2,000). We are considering looking for a home in Mill Creek, however, we are in need of something with some sort of land, a huge yard, preferably a 3 car garage or shop, or perhaps something with an acre or so. Any input as to whether or not this is something common in Mill Creek?

We have a child entering 7th grade and would love any personal input as to the schools in Mill Creek, other than the statistics we've found on the internet. We also have a 4 year old who would need daycare. What's the average rate for daycare in that area, hourly or daily?

We also like the Issaquah and Snoqualmie areas and maybe Bothell. Any input on how these suburbs compare to Mill Creek?

My husband will be working downtown, across from Fisherman's Terminal so will obviously need to commute. If anyone has a commute similar to this, what's that like? Specifically the evening commute as he is at work at 4:30 am, not much of a problem I assume.

Since we are moving from a very small town, we would like something with the "small town feel" and something that's relatively safe. Our family will be leaving the town we have all been born and raised in as well as my kids' grandparents on both sides. THis is a HUGE change for us so any input on ANY of my questions would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

If you've read this far, I really appreciate your time. Thanks, Gina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,267 times
There used to be many "horse-acreage" lots in the Mill Creek area. However, those have been transitioning over to dense single-family housing developments. There may still be a few remaining, your realtor should be able to assist.

Mill Creek is a safe, family-friendly community. It has a strong affluent base and nice local shopping and dining services. The commute home from Seattle could be long, if your husband gets off at or before 2:30pm, it would not be terrible - between 30-45 minutes (depending on how you adjust to traffic coming from rural Montana). My sons went to elementary school there for a year and one teacher was great, the other not so (and retired at the end of the year). Schools are not bad; I have heard from high school students that there is a presence of drugs in the high schools among wealthy kids with money to burn.

Personally, I loved living in Mill Creek after they built Town Center. Issaquah and Sammamish are also nice areas, but I've not lived there. One thing that may or may not be a factor is that the bridges to downtown across the lake will eventually (1-5 yrs) have tolls to cross, as one is in need of replacement. Talk has been of anywhere between $2-$6 ea. way.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM

101 posts, read 201,704 times
Mill Creek is way too expensive if you want an acre lot. You should look at Bothell/woodinville/shohomish instead.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Sure: I lived there (Mill Creek) eleven years, until just a couple years ago. Condo life, not what you are planning.

Mill Creek is a bedroom community. Suburbia. I grew up in suburbia (another major city), and chose accordingly. It sure will be a "huge" change: I've knocked around Montana small towns (Kalispell, most recently) and it sure wasn't like western Washington proximal to Seattle-Tacoma.

It boils down to money around here, probably same for any other major city in the U.S. (or world). Closer to the urban core(s) (Seattle and Bellevue) usually means significantly greater expense. Pretty basic supply-side economics, all things considered: better areas are closer to the major employers, who pay more, which leads to less crime, and better schools, and etc. etc. That's where people of means want to live, and are thus willing to pay more for the privilege. Straightforward enough.

To that end, wondering if Kitsap (over the water, west of Seattle) might be smarter money, given your situation. Anything to avoid commuting downtown by car as much as feasible: cannot stress enough what a screw-up the I-5 corridor can be during commute hours, north or south of Seattle. Dealing with ferries isn't easy, either, but may or may not be smarter money. Depends what your time is worth.

Depends on your situation: throw enough money at most problems, they tend to go away.

Best of luck. I'd send a scouting party to spend 3-6 months learning the ropes in the general area, renting an apartment or similar, BEFORE moving everyone out to a large home (somewhere).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area