U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 55,073 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Seattle. I would like to find out about some of the best residential neighborhoods, so that we can check those out during our next visit.

We are looking for something with excellent schools, quiet neighbors, and walkable streets. We are native New Yorkers in our late 20s, with two very small children. We are used to a metropolitan lifestyle, and would not want to live in a very rural community. We would like to buy a 3/4 bedroom house, for under $550.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,223,105 times
HMMMMMM - do you mind suburbs? Or do you want a more urban feel.

As with any city - the "excellent" schools are in the suburbs, or as it is here in Seattle "The Eastside"

Do you mind a commute? And when you say quiet neighbors - so you mean the same family style neighbors or do you mind a younger crowd or DINKs around you?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 55,073 times
In New York, there are a lot of good schools in the outer boroughs. I am not sure what there is as far as "outer boroughs" in Seattle, but we definitely don't want to be TOO suburban.

I am not sure what DINKs are, but we want a family kind of neighborhood, although we don't mind a younger crowd. The good schools are really a deciding factor here, and in my experience, the youthful trendy neighborhoods, while fun, usually don't have the best schools.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM

40 posts, read 126,521 times
Default You might be disappointed in the prices here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsheep View Post
We would like to buy a 3/4 bedroom house, for under $550.
The nicest neighborhoods in Seattle would mean Madison Park, Madrona, Mount Baker, Laurelhurst, and others. I live on Queen Anne, a little lower on the scale than these (along with Fremont, Ballard, and West Seattle) and 550K for 3 to 4 bedrooms probably isn't going to happen in these areas. There might be a fixer upper for around that, but the tiny three bedroom next to me, definitely a fixer upper, went for 675K only to be torn down for a larger, $1.5 million+ home.

Probably the biggest factor will be your commute. Look for access to transit and distance from work. Public schools in Seattle have a number of issues. Those in more affluent neighborhoods have fewer issues since the parents have money and energy they can direct into their own schools. I have no information about the private schools available.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,351,304 times
Dual income, no kids.

Quote:
I am not sure what DINKs are, but we want a family kind of neighborhood, although we don't mind a younger crowd.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM

300 posts, read 818,311 times
Quote:
Hello,

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Seattle. I would like to find out about some of the best residential neighborhoods, so that we can check those out during our next visit.

We are looking for something with excellent schools, quiet neighbors, and walkable streets. We are native New Yorkers in our late 20s, with two very small children. We are used to a metropolitan lifestyle, and would not want to live in a very rural community. We would like to buy a 3/4 bedroom house, for under $550.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks!
AFAIK- You're probably looking at some parts of Bellevue, Kirkland, or Redmond to begin with.

Education Hill in Redmond (go onto redfin.com and just type in 'education hill') is a great place to raise kids, you can find houses in your price range, the schools are good, and you're not completely in the boonies.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,223,105 times
We live in the urban part of Seattle in a 1300 sqft house, we are selling for $565K.

If we moved to the Eastside unfortunately we'd have to pay more, and we'd want a bigger home.

Take a look at Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah. Sammamish or Snoqualmie Ridge might be too far and suburby/rural for you - but they are very nice.

If you'd rather be in an urban suburb - live next to me, at Greenlake, Wallingford, Ravenna, Wedgwood, Maple Leaf, Ballard...and although you can find some okay schools, they won't match the Eastside. We have not been impressed on the Seattle Side

Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM

29 posts, read 158,362 times
You should also check out Shoreline, which is just north of Seattle, especially either the Richmond Beach neighborhood or Lake Forest Park. The Shoreline School District is still a good choice. You don't have to go to the Eastside. And, if you and/or your husband work in downtown Seattle, it is a much easier commute from Shoreline than from Bellevue/Redmond, etc. Plus, you can get a bit more house for your money on this side of the lake.

If you want a family-friendly urban neighborhood in Seattle, I recommend checking out either Wallingford or Green Lake. I volunteered at Green Lake Elementary a couple of years ago, and while it is part of the Seattle School District, it seemed like a nice school.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM

8,343 posts, read 14,917,643 times
...And I'll say parts of West Seattle. Great views, lots of good restaurants and parks, good pizza, and while Seattle in general does not have a good school system, West Seattle has some great schools.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,276,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
AFAIK- You're probably looking at some parts of Bellevue, Kirkland, or Redmond to begin with.

Education Hill in Redmond (go onto redfin.com and just type in 'education hill') is a great place to raise kids, you can find houses in your price range, the schools are good, and you're not completely in the boonies.
Is Education Hill HOAfied?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area