Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times

Advertisements

Extended periods of cloudy weather really bothers some folks.I'm not one of them, but I know some people who it just drives up a wall. But by now, I would hope everyone knows the basics about PNW weather- mild, cloudy, sprinkles and mist. But sunny summers (although they can start late, like this year's.)

Old 08-21-2008, 02:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Quite interesting - I'm on the Sacramento board too, and it's of course been over 80 since May, and over 90 probably since July 1, and they just had a heat wave of 108 for a couple of days

I didn't see ONE post on the weather - I never see posts on the weather...

Old 08-21-2008, 02:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
True. This forum looks like Weather Central, or something... what's the big deal ?
ANY discussion board about the Seattle will ALWAY have a heavy component about the weather - that's just a fact. Seattle weather is a HUGE factor in how much people either like or dislike the area for the simple reason that we have soooooo much cloud cover for soooooo much of the year.

There is just no avoiding a discussion about weather on any Seattle board.

Ken

Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
ANY discussion board about the Seattle will ALWAY have a heavy component about the weather - that's just a fact. Seattle weather is a HUGE factor in how much people either like or dislike the area for the simple reason that we have soooooo much cloud cover for soooooo much of the year.

There is just no avoiding a discussion about weather on any Seattle board.

Ken
True enough, but everyone knows what it is - even before I ever stepped my foot in Seattle I knew. So either you like it, hate it, or don't care - I just don't get why so much time is devoted to discussing it.

But whatever, it's all good

Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
True enough, but everyone knows what it is - even before I ever stepped my foot in Seattle I knew. So either you like it, hate it, or don't care - I just don't get why so much time is devoted to discussing it.

But whatever, it's all good
Actually I don't think most people really know.

I mean, yes Seattle has a reputation for rainy weather, so they know - but they don't really KNOW.

In truth, I don't think most people are prepared for it when they arrive. Reading about it and having to actually live with it are two very different things - that's why so many folks come here only to find they are having problems dealing with the gloom.

Ken

Old 08-21-2008, 03:11 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:

I mean, yes Seattle has a reputation for rainy weather, so they know - but they don't really KNOW.

In truth, I don't think most people are prepared for it when they arrive. Reading about it and having to actually live with it are two very different things - that's why so many folks come here only to find they are having problems dealing with the gloom.

Ken
You're probably right, especially on the part about reading about something vs. experiencing it. Even still, weather is a constant - meaning it stays the same year to year - whereas things like transportation, local politics, sports, construction projects, economy are always changing. But I see what you are saying - this forum is frequented by people new to the city or people considering the move, and weather is a big factor. Gotcha

Old 08-21-2008, 03:13 PM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
Nice pics!!! Seattle is a train wreck. Move along people....nothing to see here....nothing to see...

Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
I didn't know. I'm a highly educated individual, I researched the area top to bottom.

But I didn't think - I couldn't fathum, that I would be absolutely beaten up by the weather.

I loved rain, I loved wearing autumn clothes and sweaters, I loved hiking in the mountains, and camping etc etc. I biked everywhere. All my friend told me I would fit right in!

WHen the weather is cloudy and under 60 degrees, I feel like I'm suffocating now. I feel like I have a tweaked sense of weather - I don't know what's right or wrong or comfy or too hot or too cold, I'm totally confused at what seasons are suppose to feel like anymore. Every thing that I grew up with for weather seems lost or distorted.

How do you expect that? How do you prepare for that? You just have to find out by living here and if it effects you. But I do not wish this on anyone. And for the good people on here that love the weather - I do not wish Sacramento on you, you'd feel the intense hyper-pyscho feelings I do but in reverse...horrible.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:20 PM

61 posts, read 261,006 times
CityGirl, I agree.
You just can't know, regardless of previous experience, until you're there, living it.

I love this type of weather. But I don't know if I will continue to love it after I'm there.

I do hope you get to feeling better, especially since you'll be basking in the heat of Cali soon

Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:

Ken
I would analogize it to having children. Before you have kids, you rationally know that life will change. You rationally know that during that first year, you will be tired. But until you squeeze one of 'em out, you have no idea how life changes or what tired is.

Before you move to Seattle you think, yah it will rain, yah it will be dark and gloomy at times but I can handle it. Then you live here for a few years and you really start to feel it. Maybe it's different for people that have lived here since birth, maybe because they never get used to the sun, they don't know what they are missing. But having moved here at 18 and then spending about two thirds of my adult life here, the lack of light can be physically painful at times.

We just got back from Portland and although it was overcast and rainy there for the entirety of our visit, it didn't seem as gloomy because the clouds were higher it seemed a little bit brighter, despite the gray. Does anyone know anything about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: