Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,987 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to Seattle area for work, all the way from CT.
I was thinking to rent first, being I own a home here in CT. I was wondering what area/towns would give me 30-45m commute to work and I have a little one in school to consider. I've been looking at houses, but everything is recently built (in the lat yr) and they all look the same. Are there neighborhoods/communities with amenties under 300k? Also, what apt complexes are good for kids, that hopefully allow a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 07:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Quote:
Are there neighborhoods/communities with amenties under 300k?
Not IN Seattle.

You can get a condo south of Seattle, very south - for about that price.

Many apartments are dog friendly.

How old is your child?
Freemont, Queen Anne, Ballard, Magnolia are all nice neighborhoods that I would feel ok with having my children live there.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:44 PM

139 posts, read 1,216,514 times
Unfortunately juju, the median prices for homes in the Seattle are somwhere around 459K for around 300K the best you could do in a decent area is purchase a condo. At 300K you can afford a decent condo in good areas such as Magnolia, parts of Belltown, Ballard, Queen Anne, Greenlake, or just about anywhere in the city.

If you don't mind apartment living a condo is a way to go. I would also consider the eastern suburbs i.e. Kirkland, Bothell, Woodinville, Bellevue, and Issaquah due to the good school districts.

Give me specifics and I can give you better direction.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
North Seattle, (Shoreline, Edmonds, Bothell, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood) all of these have plenty of rentals and options in the $300k range. They have kid friendly neighborhoods as well. The commute will vary depending on how close you are to I-5, Lynnwood is right at the I-5 and 405 inner-change, making it convenient to go downtown or the eastside.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM

I wouldn't live in Lynnwood with a child. Also, having just had a child in the Edmonds school district, I wouldn't recommend the Edmonds, Mountlake Terrace or Lynnwood area.

These areas also aren't IN Seattle (they are about 25 miles north at the furthest) - which is what she's looking for.

Additionally, given the commute and traffic, I wouldn't consider Lynnwood "convenient" to either Seattle OR the eastside.

BTW, I just sold a home in the Bothell/Mill Creek area and having had the realtor do a market analysis - there wasn't anything decent and liveable to buy under $350, but more like $380k.

Rents in all of those areas, for homes, were around $1400-1600 and up. (we thought about renting, prior to our decision to move out of the state)

Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 AM

We left Lynnwood last March after living there for 11 years, the schools were not great, but the neighborhood was very kid friendly. I commuted downtown and to the eastside year round. On a good day I could get to either downtown or the eastside in 20 minutes and on a really bad day it could take an hour. Usual commute time for me was about 25 minutes one way. The housing has spiked in the area but Mill Creek/Bothell and Lynnwood are not the same, give Lynnwood a chance it might surprise you.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Mill Creek/Bothell and Lynnwood are not the same
True. Mill Creek is nicer, and more liveable than Lynnwood. I was off of 164th, about 4 miles from I5.

We are talking about a difference of about *maybe* 6 miles, from Bothell/Mill creek, into Lynnwood.

My husband commuted to Microsoft everyday, as you say, year round - for 3 years (from the Bothell/Mill Creek area. Prior to that, it was Issaquah). His commute was NEVER 20 minutes. If we are talking at 10 in the morning, or 8 at night... yes, it could take 20-25 minutes at an average speed. If we are talking normal work time commute, it was never under 45 minutes, and routinely an hour, to an hour and a half.

I don't know what "kid friendly" means to you - but in terms of safety, crime, and general environment, I personally would not choose Lynnwood to live with children (if I had a choice).

Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
True. Mill Creek is nicer, and more liveable than Lynnwood. I was off of 164th, about 4 miles from I5.

We are talking about a difference of about *maybe* 6 miles, from Bothell/Mill creek, into Lynnwood.

My husband commuted to Microsoft everyday, as you say, year round - for 3 years (from the Bothell/Mill Creek area. Prior to that, it was Issaquah). His commute was NEVER 20 minutes. If we are talking at 10 in the morning, or 8 at night... yes, it could take 20-25 minutes at an average speed. If we are talking normal work time commute, it was never under 45 minutes, and routinely an hour, to an hour and a half.

I don't know what "kid friendly" means to you - but in terms of safety, crime, and general environment, I personally would not choose Lynnwood to live with children (if I had a choice).
Nicer is to each his own… I lived closer to the 44th street exit to I-5 which takes at least 10 minutes off the commute from where you are describing, I also usually commuted during peak hours 8:30am and 5:30pm all the way to Elliott Bay, Freemont, Ballard, offices all a ways off the highway.

Kid friendly to me is more than a good school, and I already said the schools were not great. We have 4 children and loved our city for many reasons…
1. nice parks within walking distance
2. safe streets for bike riding and playing
3. the local recreation center features a pool and offers many activities year round check out the CRAZE magazine…
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...reply&p=346090

4. the local library has a great childrens section and features story times regularly
5. free Shakespeare summer events in the park and other free events for kids
6. great places to eat everywhere
8. less than 10 minutes to the Edmonds/Kingston ferry and the beach
9. and don’t let me forget to mention an incredibly low crime rate compared to the national average for its location
http://www.moving.com/find_a_place/c....asp?Zip=98037

Also, since the mall upgrades and the new conference center Lynnwood has been dubbed as a Bellevue look a like which is evident in all the new home construction and the jump in housing prices.

As I said before give Lynnwood a chance…. it might surprise you.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju3327 View Post
I'm considering relocating to Seattle area for work, all the way from CT.
I was thinking to rent first, being I own a home here in CT. I was wondering what area/towns would give me 30-45m commute to work and I have a little one in school to consider. I've been looking at houses, but everything is recently built (in the lat yr) and they all look the same. Are there neighborhoods/communities with amenties under 300k? Also, what apt complexes are good for kids, that hopefully allow a dog.
Lynnwood is also and older community offering both smaller older homes and the new mcmansions. As of today Realtor.com has 224 homes listed in Lynnwood ranging in size from 780sqft to 6000+sqft and from $265k to $700k, some as old as 1940 and some due for completion in 2007.

Apartments are everywhere, and usually a pet deposit is all that is required. To see more details on apartments iand ammenanties offered in Lynnwood go to:
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...gton/Lynnwood/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area