Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,004,371 times

Advertisements

Wow ...that is an incredible statement! Can't stand the heat in Alaska, jeez!

It's always been a given that a true Seattlite doesn't use umbrellas or air conditioning.

It's the old saying in western WA that it just doesn't get hot enough for any length of time to justify air conditioning in houses. However, if I ever had another house built in the Seattle area, I'd spend the extra to have central a/c.

It is true that there are just not that many days that you'll need it. One of the reasons is that it almost always cools down in the evenings. The region's natural air conditioning kicks in after the sun goes down on those rare 90 degree days and that onshore flow (the "marine push") just seems to overtake the hot air of the day and it actually gets sort of chilly by midnight. Sure, the inside of the house remains warm but if you keep windows open a crack and get the air flowing with the help of a fan, you'll usually sleep just fine. If you get a string of 90+ degree days, then it sometimes becomes annoying but that's so rare I wouldn't even worry about it.

However, if you just have to have a/c to sleep, there are some apartments that have it. I know I had a/c once in an apartment I rented. Yes, it was nice ...unusual to find but nice.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-21-2007 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 09:19 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,030,093 times
Newbies to Seattle - start shopping NOW for your fans. They are almost non-existant in a couple of months. Those suckers go fast!

I never used an umbrella or AC either. Guess I am a true Seattlite!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Ala

26 posts, read 142,601 times
I'll need an air conditioner. A fan won't be enough for me. I can't stand the heat. That's why I want to move somewhere cool, not hot. That's also why I love the rain and overcast days better than hot, sunny ones. Why I love the idea of Seattle.

I don't mind buying a window unit. I'm just afraid of not finding an apartment with windows the appropriate size and shape to hold it.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 PM

22,858 posts, read 28,106,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
*MOST* homes do not have air conditioning, new and old. It's not needed.
Hardly any homes in the Puget Sound area have A/C. As Jenbar says, most of the year you don't really need it. However, I will disagree in that I think for about 4-6 weeks each summer, you REALLY need it. The heat gets intense, the air stops, the rains stop, and it just gets miserable. And every summer there are reports of burglaries and home invasions because people leave their windows open to escape the dreadful heat.

Some newer homes have A/C, and I know lots of people who are biting the bullet and paying the big bucks to install it, because from about mid-July to mid-August, you are REALLY doing to want it.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:15 PM

22,858 posts, read 28,106,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala View Post
I'll need an air conditioner. A fan won't be enough for me. I can't stand the heat. That's why I want to move somewhere cool, not hot. That's also why I love the rain and overcast days better than hot, sunny ones. Why I love the idea of Seattle.
Where are you at now?

You really ought to visit before you take the plunge. You might discover that you love the idea of Seattle, but the reality itself doesn't quite match up. That was certainly the case for us.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:20 PM

559 posts, read 2,111,570 times
One thing some of you might not have thought of; houses with heat pumps will have air conditioning. We do! And YES, we use it in the summertime. Not much, of course, but I work at home, so AC is a necessity. I told DH that I would not buy a house without AC, period. Being from the South, I not how uncomfortable it is to be hot.

If you're looking for a home, look for one with a heat pump; chances are they'll be the ones with AC. Just a thought....

And I agree--VISIT BEFORE YOU COME. And don't come in the summertime. Visit in the dead of winter. When you see it rain every day--and I do mean EVERY day--you just might think again...

Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,030,093 times
Quote:
When you see it rain every day--and I do mean EVERY day--you just might think again...
Tsk tsk... you aren't allowed to say that on this forum!

Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,004,371 times
That's right!

tony, binky, pwright, et. al., where are you? ...jump on kettles for such a statement! *ah!* expressing such truths and subjective statements are so uncalled for!

--'rocco

Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Ala

I can't buy a house. That is not an option. I can only rent.

I live in the south right now. And I despise the heat. I actually was born and raised in the south and always despised the heat.

It's just, if I needed AC in Alaska where I lived for 6 years before, I'll need it anywhere.
Not everyone's comfort level is the same.

I mean, a lot of people would NEVER consider Alaska because they can't stand the cold. I liked it. But, not for as long as it lasted. Still, others adore Florida due to it being warm/hot all year round; while some would hate that.

Again, I don't mind buying a window unit. But, I know not all apts have windows the right size and shape for one. And that will just reduce my options of apts (counting price and location) all the more.

I do appreciate everyone's input. Sorry I haven't mentioned before.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Ala

My roommie just reminded me that in Alaska, in the summer, the days were SO long. So, the heat stayed almost 24 hours. But, in Seattle, it would end at a normal time. So, maybe the nights WOULD be ok.

Tell me, in the hottest part of the summer, what kind of temperatures are normal during the days and ALSO in the night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area