U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2008, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 18,418 times
Default Looking to move to the Seattle area

My family and I are looking into a possible move to the Seattle area. We are in the early stages of looking--we are looking for jobs in Seattle and Tacoma area. I have been reading some of the postings and am a little worried about the cost of living in the area---are there suburbs that are a little less expensive? My husband is in IT and I am in marketing/broadcasting. Since we have just started looking it is hard to say what our combined income will be, but we are hoping it will be $80K or more. Any advice on areas that would be good to live. We have 2 kids (ages 3 and 1) so we need good day care and good schools soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 05:59 PM

7,976 posts, read 13,464,197 times
Closer to Tacoma, the Steilacoom area and Gig Harbor have lower priced houses than Seattle/Bellevue and have good schools. Closer to Seattle, areas that cost a little less but have good schools:
Maple Valley has the Tahoma school district, and Bothell, Kenmore, and Woodinville share the Northshore school district. Shoreline also has a good school district.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 PM

23 posts, read 40,162 times
80K can get you pretty far, the tough part is the kids.
Just stay out of the inner-city, not the best place to raise a child.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 PM

300 posts, read 772,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDRE View Post
My family and I are looking into a possible move to the Seattle area.

[snip]

We have 2 kids (ages 3 and 1) so we need good day care and good schools soon.
Oh buddy, you would do very well to try calling around on the daycare before you get here. We were shocked when we got here at the lack of capacity the area has for daycare (at least on eastside, including Woodinville).

I don't know where you're moving from, but we were also shocked at the costs of daycare here. The daycare that we were able to lineup in Dallas that was about $600/mo wound up costing anywhere from $1200-$1800 a month here (for infant care). It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison in the setting/what was offered, but it wasn't 2 to 3 times better than what we had in Dallas. We had a 3-to-1 ratio in Dallas, and a 4-to-1 ratio here, for one.

Some of the places we looked at had 2 year waiting lists for infants. Since your kids are all over 1 year old, that will probably help as the ratios go up, but it may still be tough to find a spot you'll be happy with. In fact, depending on what you wind up doing, it may be cheaper to just get a nanny to watch all three kids at home. I know of a number of people who do this once they have more than one kid to take care of because it works out in their favor in the end.

We thought we had planned everything out in advance, had a lot of information and assistance, and still got caught by this... bigtime. And since you can't work and watch kids at the same time, it can really screw up income plans.

All that said, you shouldn't look at this as a deal-breaker to coming here. This area can be a great place to raise kids. You just have to really call around and plan ahead because of the lack of adequate capacity in daycare services around here.

I still say anyone who opens a Tex-Mex Restaurant/Daycare will make a mint here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area