Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:26 PM

323 posts, read 448,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
The picture was taken in 1970 or 1971. The Seafirst Building wasn't built until 1969. "The box the Space Needle came in" sure dominated the skyline, didn't it? You can barely make it out today.
Sure did. How'd I ignore it? I guess I made my estimate just looking at the vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:35 PM

221 posts, read 203,809 times
Gardyloo, great photo of old skyline and Mt Rainer.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:05 AM

323 posts, read 448,669 times
Default Virginia Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Here are a few...

(I think) Stewart Street between Pike Place and First Avenue
The white brick building was on Virginia between Western and First. Photo taken in 1968. The building on the left could be Harbor Heights:

All day parking there for 75 cents in 1968. It's interesting how many handicapped people park there now (all day for free) and negotiate that steep slope.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:17 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
Interesting photos. The black and white one looks like the early 1960s (no, actually 1970 or 1971). Those buildings were renovated in 1977 and 1981. The Peláez family escaped "political upheavel" in Bolivia and opened Copacabana Café in The Market Triangle Building in 1964. It was built in 1908 and renovated, including adding a balcony, in 1977. It's to the right of the Silver Okum Building, built in 1910 and renovated in 1977. The Sanitary Market, built in 1910, was so named because no horses were allowed inside. Rehabbed and expanded in 1981.

If the white brick building was/is on Stewart it was probably torn down. Its fenestrations don't quite match the building's that houses Antiques At Pike Place. Not Stewart House as it was built in 1986.

The first Starbucks store opened in the Harbor Heights Building, 2000 Western Avenue, in 1971. Corner of Virginia Street. The building was demolished in 1975. The building there now contains the Seatown Seabar restaurant. The Starbucks on Pike Place is the oldest Starbucks that still exists, not the "first", as advertised. It's the fourth Starbucks as there was the one on Western, one near the UW and one on Capitol Hill before it opened in 1974. Not sure about the second and third, but the first one did not sell drinks, just gave away samples.

A couple photos of the first Starbucks store at Western and Virginia (courtesy of Seattle Municipal Archives):

Pine and Pike Place in the 1970s. Beecher's opened on the corner in 2003. Public housing on the right was demolished for Campagne and The Inn At The Market. Note parking in the Arcade:
Man has the skyline changed! Awesome photos!

Old 10-02-2016, 08:27 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
The white brick building was on Virginia between Western and First.
Thanks!

Old 12-03-2016, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,079 times
Default Kalakala and U. District

It's been a few years since any activity here so, for what it's worth........
I had the opportunity to ride the Kalaka mon. thru fri. for a month and the biggest memory I have is the vibration on that ferry. It was cool looking for its time but there was something about it that would vibrate the teeth right out of your head.
As far as U. District, back in 1954 lived in a house towards the north end of the Ave. that was next door to a place called The Hasty Tasty. It was notorious for having the most laden with grease chili in the Northwest. Then in the U. District in the 70's the favorite eating spot was a place called The Great Green Society. That place had the most outrageous pizza I have ever had. Took my son and daughter there when they were in their teens and they still bring it up from time to time.
I just happened to think of another place on the north end of the Ave up around 48th-49th. Can't remember the name of the place but in 1959-60 they served exotic coffee drinks in there. Unheard of stuff like latte's, cappuccino's, demi tasse. It was very dark in there and the kind of place you would go for a special occasion.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
OMG, "Hasty Tasty". My parents would do takeout burgers there in the 60's. We lived just north in Wedgwood, but they always were willing to make the drive for their great burgers. They didn't do the Chili. I wish they would have!

Here is a video timeline of Seattle's skyline. It is a promotional video for a new building which is almost topped out, but still pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oS-3pxBG4I

Old 12-04-2016, 06:10 PM

72,973 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I'm surprised to see this thread revived.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:59 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I think this thread is revived because the city has changed so much in just 40 years. We can argue if it for the better or worse, but there is no argument the change has been great. I tend to think it is for the better, but I understand some old-timers might not agree. I grew up in the city (northend), and prefer to live somewhere else mainly due to COL, but I always root for Seattle as a city.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:34 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
It's much, much better in my opinion. I don't remember much from the 1970s, but the good part was that it was cheap and easier for the middle class. Otherwise it was much more monocultural, today's dense neighborhoods were often not dense at all, we were way more suceptible to economic busts, transit wasn't as good, and things were generally much shoddier due to a relative lack of urban investment after 1930. I've spent some great hours with the photos in the OP, but my main feeling starting in the early 80s was rooting for this place to grow more.

That said, I have warm memories like the old Monorail terminal at Westlake, the old Henry Library on Capitol Hill, overpasses made of heavy timbers, and less general rudeness (fewer stereos blasting, fewer dogs on long leashes tripping people, no "aps").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area