Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:22 PM

297 posts, read 1,032,652 times

Advertisements

That's the first time I've seen pictures of Seattle in the 1970s. I wasn't even born when most of those were taken. In many ways that city of the past seems depressing and boring to me. The new Seattle is much more exciting, diverse, cosmopolitan and fast paced. I think Seattle is better now than it's ever been. I'm truly glad to see the city is living up to it's potential!

The Old 1970's Seattle

The New Seattle (Pictures By Pwright1)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 06:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,178,415 times
Well I agree and disagree. Back then was the "real Seattle". Today it's transplants, techies,wealth and plastic.
I can relate to people talking about how it actually HAD character, you can feel it in those pics. Today it is more of "The place too be". There's good and bad in that.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,112,729 times
A lot of the emotional content has to do with "artsy" black and white photography for ye olde Seattle, versus warm color for the modern Seattle. B&W makes things look more grim .... and, well .... colorless. Heh.

Ahhh, don't get me started on Cold War propaganda.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 PM

700 posts, read 2,589,525 times
I think there will always be a disconnect between generations based on what is visually represented. 20 years from now the "youngsters" will be looking at pictures of Snoop Dog et al and say "Why did men used to wear so much jewelry? weird..." and " Was there no belts back then? their pants are so droopy!" Dont even get me started on the current preppie, popped collar, orange skin look with flip flops in winter ...oy vay!

I remember when I was a boy I asked my Grandmother " What was it like living in the world before there was color?" referring to the black and white pictures. I was shocked to learn the truth.....

I will always reflect and be melancholy for my days of youth in the black and white streets of Queens and summer days on Jones Beach. I was no happier or sadder, I just had not learned the difference.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,057,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
my days of youth in the black and white streets of Queens and summer days on Jones Beach.
I spent a lot of time in Forest Hills and Flushing, including roller skating on the sidewalks -- and a lot of summertime at Jones Beach.
Where were you?
And you and your wife and I have to stop meeting like this at all the things we have in common!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:10 AM

700 posts, read 2,589,525 times
My parents lived in Flushing when I was born (Go METS!)
I was raised mostly in Levittown/Bellerose/Jamaica/Huntington

My old man was from Jackson Heights/Corona/Sunnyside/Bed Sty

Come from an Irish/Italian family of Cops, Firefighters and Restaurant Workers.....
Wouldnt trade a minute of it.

Everytime I drink a YooHoo or read about a "Black and White" ...I get misty.
(I just wanted to add the "Black and White" so we stay on the photo topic...hehehe)
Actually the photos do remind of Queens a little.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,178,415 times
Flushing is still decent. Down by Shea it's a little busy/shady, but go east on Northern Blvd and it's still a great neighborhood! I worked in Jamaica in the 90's, it's shot! Bed Sty Brooklyn is one of the baddest places in NY.
But yeah, some of those pics "do" resemble parts of NYC YEARS ago.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,012,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
A lot of the emotional content has to do with "artsy" black and white photography for ye olde Seattle, versus warm color for the modern Seattle. B&W makes things look more grim .... and, well .... colorless. Heh.

Ahhh, don't get me started on Cold War propaganda.
Oh?

You picked up on that as well?

And, I agree...............

Now for weird: looking at the OP's link showing 1970's Seattle in all of its B & W glory-----------subconsciously, I must have been 'plugging in' the missing colors of the rainbow. To me: back then the place was indeed more 'colorful'---------pun intended

Old 09-07-2008, 12:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,012,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
My parents lived in Flushing when I was born (Go METS!)
I was raised mostly in Levittown/Bellerose/Jamaica/Huntington

My old man was from Jackson Heights/Corona/Sunnyside/Bed Sty

Come from an Irish/Italian family of Cops, Firefighters and Restaurant Workers.....
Wouldnt trade a minute of it.

Everytime I drink a YooHoo or read about a "Black and White" ...I get misty.
(I just wanted to add the "Black and White" so we stay on the photo topic...hehehe)
Actually the photos do remind of Queens a little.

Having visited Queens, NY 40+ year ago---------I now understand what you mean. Especially the 1964 Worlds Fair, etc.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 AM

260 posts, read 923,513 times
Cysewski's photos are some of the best.

Cindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Earlier today I was sent a link to a website full of for the most part 1970's Seattle.

This was Seattle, as few people on this forum will have seen it...and it brought back a lot of memories…this was Seattle many years before it hit the national stage.

Seattle was much more of a “working city” back then, very little polish and glamour, and in some ways I miss it greatly.

Looking at some of these pictures it almost feels as if I've been away for many years and now I've come home...

Pre-restoration Pike Place Market

First Avenue (Skid Road)

Pioneer Square

Downtown Seattle

The rest of the collection can be found here:

cyesewski.com|Wondering in Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area