Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 AM

300 posts, read 1,210,887 times

Advertisements

This may be all of Lake Washington school district, I'm not sure, but it's definitely the case in Redmond that the schools let out at 12:30pm on Wednesdays and close (no after school activities) throughout the school year.

Nobody seems to know why, and everyone I've talked to that's impacted by it hates it because it screws up child-care arrangements.

Anyone know what the story is here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Wouldn't the school be the first place to ask?....

Schools - early dismissal on Wednesdays

Last edited by allforcats; 09-05-2008 at 03:06 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 09:37 AM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
My high school had late starts instead of early dismissals on Wednesdays.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:48 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,103 times
Issaquah School District does this too. I was told that they are teacher in-service afternoons. My sister is a teacher back home and said "must be nice" since she has to do in-service stuff at home every night. LOL I am sure alot of working parents don't like it either having to find care.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
When I was researching school districts during our move in July 2007 I remarked to my neighbor about the half day deal in Issaquah Schools. My neighbor taught in CA and now teaches in Austin, TX and said that they did this in CA or that they were considering it. It meant less full in-service days off during the year if it was spread out every Wednesday. Seems true...in Texas, we had lots of days off for conferences, in service days, etc. and have far less full days off here. Something negotiated for in their contract I believe according to her. I know my kids love having a short day mid-week as it gives them some recharge time and I work from home so it works for me but it can be hard for working parents. However, I guess if they took total days off, you'd have to be off work as well taking vacation. Not a good look either way. BTW, how do working parents handle half day Wednesdays? Are there daycare options or do employers let you telecommute that day? Seems like it would be a widespread issue at least for Eastside working parents?

Last edited by texastrigirl; 09-06-2008 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-06-2008, 11:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
When I was researching school districts during our move in July 2007 I remarked to my neighbor about the half day deal in Issaquah Schools. My neighbor taught in CA and now teaches in Austin, TX and said that they did this in CA or that they were considering it. It meant less full in-service days off during the year if it was spread out every Wednesday. Seems true...in Texas, we had lots of days off for conferences, in service days, etc. and have far less full days off here. Something negotiated for in their contract I believe according to her. I know my kids love having a short day mid-week as it gives them some recharge time and I work from home so it works for me but it can be hard for working parents. However, I guess if they took total days off, you'd have to be off work as well taking vacation. Not a good look either way. BTW, how do working parents handle half day Wednesdays? Are there daycare options or do employers let you telecommute that day? Seems like it would be a widespread issue at least for Eastside working parents?

The nice thing about the Bellevue school district is they have after care on Wednesdays at our local Boys and Girls club. There is a bus that takes students directly to the club and this particular club in Bellevue has a great reputation from what I hear from other parents. They offer this throughout the week in addition to Wednesday. Also, our school has a program on Wednesdays called "Wacky Wednesday" and kids sign up for different programs throughout the day you pre-sign up for in advance that keeps students in school as if it were a regular school day. They offer classes like sports, art, chess, choir, martial arts and several others and it changes every quarter. You do have to pay for these extra curricular activities but it's reasonable. During the ski season there is a ski bus that takes students skiing after school on Wednesday. If Issaquah doesn't do this maybe someone can bring up this option at the next PTA Meeting and contact the Bellevue school district to find out how this was set up. Can't hurt to ask the Principal. Working parents really rely on this convenience. I am sure they are not very happy right now with this strike that has been going on for the past week and we already got word, no school on Monday. UGH!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 PM

300 posts, read 1,210,887 times
Well, at least you're not alone in that boat. I'm sure lots of people are having problems with what to do with their kids.

Maybe if a few parents in Bellevue get together and trade days when they'll watch all the kids, people wouldn't have to take day after day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area