U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 43,147 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning on moving by the end of this year to Seattle.

Can someone from the Mid-Atlantic, tell me what they like and don't like about the area? And also, what do they miss about DC? (likes and dislike)?

DC is pretty dynamic, a lot of things to do both indoors and outdoors. However, it has gotten to be expensive and traffic is ridiculous.

If you could let me know if Seattle is worth the change, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
Rate this post positively

Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 AM

629 posts, read 807,419 times
Seattle aint cheap, and the traffic can be real bad. What they consider to be BAD neighborhoods, are a joke from the BAD ones back east. Seattle is one of the safest major cities in the country. The summer weather in Seattle, will feel like the fall weather in DC. Alot less sunshine during the winter than the east coast (I'm sure u already know that). Seattle and the surrounding areas, are some of the most beautiful that you'll see in America. Seattle is 2nd next to San Fran, as far as being the most educated city in the country. I think you'll love it out there. Especially if u are going to be making a good buc.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 AM

4,246 posts, read 8,273,444 times
Fairfax county isn't exactly DC, its the gross sprawly outer suburbs of DC. I'd say Fairfax county is more akin to Issaquah, if Issaquah was even more beige. To take the analogy further, Bellevue and Kirkland are like the Arlington/Alexandria areas.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 AM

Thank you both for the insight and the analogy. I googled Bellevue and in some ways (location and building wise) it is like Arlington.

I currently, live in Vienna and commute by metro to DC which during rush hour could take more than an hour. Driving during the weeked on Rt. 66 could take at least 30 mins downtown (w/o traffic) and w/ traffic could take forever to get just about anywhere

I visited West Seattle recently, and I like the fact that it only took 15 mins by bus downtown, and the bus rides are free from within downtown.

Things I'm really looking for if I do decide to make the big change are:
1. Nice, safe trails to run/bike
2. Good school to pursue a second major (preferably in business admin.)
3. Reasonable single/town house that is safe and within close proximity to the city
4. A 24 hr gym

The one thing I’ll miss about DC
Is it takes me approx 2 hours to get to
- the mountains for camping or snowboarding
- the beach for body/skim boarding
- the city for a good night life (add 2 hrs to NYC)

Would Seattle offer just about the same? Your input is greatly appreciated!

-Jessica

Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 AM

The part about missing the mountians, camping, and snowboarding around the DC area, was that a joke? Im serious, was that a joke? I'm not a camping outdoors type. But, the Pacific Northwest is the best in the country for that stuff. Do see any snow capped mountians from anywhere in the DC area? How old are u? Im asking cause of the nightlife question.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:04 AM

I think I had my serious face on when I typed that They do offer it right around October on to March, and rafting is best around this time of the year.

I guess, I haven't really explored much of Seattle/Washington state. I do like the fact that it is close to Oregon, Canada and even California - if I do need to get away sometimes.

PS: I'm 25 y/o SF

Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Ya, camping in that part of the country, is almost like the people in the bible belt, going to church! It's a religion to alot of them people in the pacific northwest. Being 25, I dont think the nightlife will come close to comparing to DC. You cant have everything though. Not to say u cant go out and have a good time though.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:23 PM

367 posts, read 1,223,659 times
I highly recommend visiting Seattle in the winter time before making the decision to move there. I've been to Seattle several times on business, and I dread going there during the winter. It's constantly gloomy, rainy, and the daylight is short. However, with the snow capped mountains all around it makes for beautiful scenery.

As far as traffic, DC metro is definitely worse. But Seattle has its share of traffic. I think a lot of it has to do with its road infrastructure - Seattle has a lot of 2 or 3 lane freeways, which is small compared to other major cities.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 PM

8,389 posts, read 10,482,541 times
But Seattle has mild winters and it is much warmer than Chicago and Montreal. I prefer rain-clouds, but warm over freezing cold and some sun (it is very cloudy in the winter in Chicago and Montreal as well). You should dread going to Chicago and Montreal during the winter. Seattle is fine

Last edited by Botev1912; 09-08-2008 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM

1,626 posts, read 6,441,245 times
As has been discussed before (I would guess about 300 times ), we're all a bit different when it comes to climate preferences. But I personally find it much easier to deal with the long, gloomy but mild winters here than with the sweltering, muggy summers in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area