Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Yes yes yes yes yes!!! Accchhhh stop all this sunshine and HEAT!!!!

Okay. It's you and me into the mizzle!
And me to that party. I'm not much of a fan of either sunshine or heat. Last year we went to CA on 9/14 and the weather was much like this. When we returned on 9/17 (my birthday incidentally) it was beautifully chilly. I'm hoping for another nice birthday this year.

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 AM

132 posts, read 390,225 times
Default No way

I am not looking forward to the fall really. Because then I know winters next! I hate Wa winters, all it does is rain rain rain and its pretty dang depressing. Im loving this beautiful weather weve been having! Seattle has been absolutley gorgeous. But I guess I wouldnt mind it getting a little bit cooler.. but I know in a few more months all ya'll will be wishing the sun back!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:50 AM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
No.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:18 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
And me to that party. I'm not much of a fan of either sunshine or heat. Last year we went to CA on 9/14 and the weather was much like this. When we returned on 9/17 (my birthday incidentally) it was beautifully chilly. I'm hoping for another nice birthday this year.

V. =)
I want to join the party too, Veronica and AFC! I think I must have reverse SAD! I loved that week or so in late August when it was cloudy & cool. It was such a relief after the one week mini-heatwave here. I guess I lived in FL for too many years and I've overdosed on sunshine & heat (still over quota). I love fall too! The trees in our neighborhood are starting to show a little fall color which is encouraging. I thought we had a gorgeous and colorful autumn here last year, but that was compared to central FL which has a pretty pathetic fall season. Some complained last year that all the evergreen trees detracted from the foliage color, but I thought the darkness of the evergreens intensified the bright colors by contrasting them. Different strokes...

Anyone have suggestions for a good place for a day-trip to see good fall foliage? Is mid-October generally when color is best?

Lynn

Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
We saw some nice color on the highway to Leavenworth around Oktoberfest time. Also Tumwater Canyon on Highway 2.

The Mt. Baker Scenic Byway (Highway 542?) is supposed to be quite nice in the fall also.

My wife and I are going to New England at the end of this month and are excited about the chance to catch some color in Maine and New Hampshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Anyone have suggestions for a good place for a day-trip to see good fall foliage? Is mid-October generally when color is best?

Lynn

Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times

There's a lot of gorgeous fall colors driving on Route 2 east from Skykomish, especially around Leavenworth and Wenatchee, the Tumwater Canyon area in particular. Nice day trip. And lots of great apples in Wenatchee too.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:48 PM
LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
We saw some nice color on the highway to Leavenworth around Oktoberfest time. Also Tumwater Canyon on Highway 2.

The Mt. Baker Scenic Byway (Highway 542?) is supposed to be quite nice in the fall also.

My wife and I are going to New England at the end of this month and are excited about the chance to catch some color in Maine and New Hampshire.
Thanks for the suggestions, Michael. Do you know if the foliage on Hwy 2 on the way to Leavenworth would be colorful by Oct 10th--or is that too early? I'm thinking it would be fun to go to Leavenworth for that weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday, but we could wait a week or two. I wonder if hotel reservations are hard to get in Leavenworth around Oktoberfest? Maine and New Hampshire should be awesome for fall color! Have a fun trip!

Lynn

Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 PM
LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post

There's a lot of gorgeous fall colors driving on Route 2 east from Skykomish, especially around Leavenworth and Wenatchee, the Tumwater Canyon area in particular. Nice day trip. And lots of great apples in Wenatchee too.
Thanks Ira! Sounds like a fun trip--and I've been wanting to go to Wenatchee for apples anyway.

Lynn

Old 09-16-2008, 12:05 AM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times
That trip does sound great. I'm looking forward to it already. I love fall too, but not sure what to expect of it here.

That said, it can stay summer as long as it wants to, now that we have the AC up and running! We had our trees worked on (dead wood removed, wind-thinning in front of house, dead one removed) and they took a big branch that was the only shade for our giant south-facing window. (they were NOT supposed to take that branch! but no putting it back on now!). Anyway, it heats up a lot faster in here with that branch gone! Very glad we didn't do that till after the new hvac!

Looking forward to seeing some color. I grew up in NW PA with the brilliant reds and oranges and yellows, so I've missed it. I don't expect quite that show here, but just the taste we've gotten the past two weeks is getting my hopes up. I am also curious -- for that Rt 2 drive -- anyone know a general window for when color might be best? No idea whether we're looking at late Sept or at early November.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I am also curious -- for that Rt 2 drive -- anyone know a general window for when color might be best? No idea whether we're looking at late Sept or at early November.

Late September, early October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area