Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:49 PM

68 posts, read 133,844 times

Advertisements

Hi it's me agin Needless Kane and today We are going to talk about Seattle. Seattle is a big and beautiful city no doubt but it seem the rest of the world dosen't think so. I don't understand I know they previously owned boeing but they own other major companies to like Washington Mutual, Starbucks, Costco, and many more. Really though I think Seattle goes unreconized even the GaWc ignores it.

So why can't Seattle be a world class city share your thoughts

I know you guys are tired of my whining but I just want to know how you feel about these issues.

Seattle:

Last edited by Bo; 12-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,694,619 times
Seattle is a nice, clean midsized city with an impressive skyline in a beautiful setting. Beyond that, it's possibly the blandest and most white bread town in the country. Billionaires, high home values and a few Asian people do not a world-class city make. Sorry. A definite plus is the proximity to Vancouver, which is almost a world-class city.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:18 PM

233 posts, read 750,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Seattle is a nice, clean midsized city with an impressive skyline in a beautiful setting. Beyond that, it's possibly the blandest and most white bread town in the country. Billionaires, high home values and a few Asian people do not a world-class city make. Sorry. A definite plus is the proximity to Vancouver, which is almost a world-class city.
Gee, I have to disagree. Vancouver is no more a world class city than Seattle. A sea of highrise condos, more than a few asians and no cultural scene compared to Seattle do not a world class city make. Seattle does not need to be aggressively going after the "world class" moniker because as soon as you have to struggle to be world class you obviously are not. What Seattle does offer is a continuing flow of creativity as seen in its thriving music scene, upstart technology, top notch cultural institutions ( Pac NW ballet, opera, Seattle symphony, film fest, great neighborhoods)

Old 09-13-2008, 12:21 PM

36,629 posts, read 67,173,716 times
We need to stop using that chart as if its the authority on the topic. That is merely a listing of cities based on how many law firms, accounting firms, banking firms and insurance firms have offices there.

Nothing more.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:22 PM

Seattle is definitely a world class city and has all the amenities of one. We love to focus on being world class when most of the world isnt even at our level.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,328,123 times
I definitely think Seattle is one of the jewels of american cities, and one that I would encourage any foreign traveler who is visiting the US for a couple of months to visit. As for being "world-class"...that is such a subjective term that you will get different opinions depending on who you ask. Is it NYC, DC, or Los Angeles? No! But on a beautiful summer day with Mount Ranier visible...it has one of the most breathtaking skylines in the country!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I definitely think Seattle is one of the jewels of american cities, and one that I would encourage any foreign traveler who is visiting the US for a couple of months to visit. As for being "world-class"...that is such a subjective term that you will get different opinions depending on who you ask. Is it NYC, DC, or Los Angeles? No! But on a beautiful summer day with Mount Ranier visible...it has one of the most breathtaking skylines in the country!!!
Definitely. I was up in Seattle in June for the U. of Washington commencement and the place is just gorgeous.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:53 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,777,387 times
Looking at that chart, I am baffled as to how Chicago could be considered an "Alpha" city, whereas Moscow is a "Beta" city.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,052,696 times
How come Seattle isn't a world class city?

BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO BE.
Go away. We don't want the world here, and there's no room.
We are the end of the pioneer trails, the end of the road. Go back where they like your concrete, your stresses, your conflicts, your whining. Leave us alone.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:35 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,694,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
How come Seattle isn't a world class city?

BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO BE.
Go away. We don't want the world here, and there's no room.
We are the end of the pioneer trails, the end of the road. Go back where they like your concrete, your stresses, your conflicts, your whining. Leave us alone.

Too late! The world (aka California) has been coming there since at least the late '80s. Also, there's PLENTY of whining in Seattle and also plenty of concrete. There are surprisingly few trees inside the city limits, except for maybe in the northern part, although you can see plenty of trees off in the distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area