Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times

Advertisements

So, last year, we noticed these little yellow things that seemed to levitate around outside of our town home. They seemed to just dangle in midair, and even to move a bit side to side and up and down. I thought they appeared earlier last year, but I don't know. Well, they were back today, and I accidentally walked into some, and looked down and realized they are some sort of worm. I was so grossed out. They are yellow and very small (less than a centimeter, I think), and they literally seem to just hang in the air.

What the heck are these things?? They're all up and down our street!

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 11:43 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
I think they're small caterpillars hanging from an almost invisible web. I don't know what they are exactly but I try not to walk into them. Do you have a lot of douglas fir trees around?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
I think they're small caterpillars hanging from an almost invisible web. I don't know what they are exactly but I try not to walk into them. Do you have a lot of douglas fir trees around?
I don't think there are a lot of douglas firs up here (in the Issy Highlands), but I don't know trees very well. I know the trees they like to hang around are not evergreens.

I'm going to just tell myself they're harmless and try not to think about it.

V. =)

Old 09-27-2008, 11:25 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
They're not a moth?
...If you want people visiting you to go away, you could always tell them that they are the " Northwest lethal flying black widow worm" and " they only killed 25 people in Washington state this year."

Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 PM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
So, last year, we noticed these little yellow things that seemed to levitate around outside of our town home. They seemed to just dangle in midair, and even to move a bit side to side and up and down. I thought they appeared earlier last year, but I don't know. Well, they were back today, and I accidentally walked into some, and looked down and realized they are some sort of worm. I was so grossed out. They are yellow and very small (less than a centimeter, I think), and they literally seem to just hang in the air.

What the heck are these things?? They're all up and down our street!

V. =)

probably termites....

Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
They're not a moth?
...If you want people visiting you to go away, you could always tell them that they are the " Northwest lethal flying black widow worm" and " they only killed 25 people in Washington state this year."
I hope they stick around until my mother-in-law comes to visit. =)

In all seriousness, though, upon closer inspection, they do seem to be some sort of tiny tiny caterpillar.

V. =)

Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I use to see them in D.C. I think they're all over the place.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:01 PM

16 posts, read 86,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I use to see them in D.C. I think they're all over the place.
Interesting -this whole time, I thought those invisible strands I kept running into while walking my dog were made by especially tiny spiders. I never realized caterpillars were capable of creating that.

FTR, I live in Arlington, Virginia.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Maybe they're silkworms, or dreaded tent caterpillars !

Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 AM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times
They're not the tent caterpillars, I don't think... not many tents around here, like I saw a lot in Dallas.

I have wondered what they are too. They looked to me at first like tiny dead fir needles dangling from an old spider thread, but they're clearly not. We do have six doug firs in our backyard and these things are all over the place, everywhere. Weird! But they don't bother me. The masses of BEES that are still swarming every thing out there bother me, but not these guys. At least not at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area