U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-28-2008, 11:23 PM

4,662 posts, read 4,501,931 times
Default anybody else LIKE Seattle weather?

Am I the only one who likes the ideal of Seattle weather? Granted, I have never been there, but it sounds wonderful...not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter and the clouds, the beautiful clouds!

Cynics look at the sky and say "it's grey"...I look at the sky and don't see grey, I see Silver, marble, platinum and ivory. I love the idea of misty skies and 60s degrees...

As opposed to that evil orb of cosmic death-rays euphemisticaly referred to as "the sun". Got news for you sunworshippers, that tan you get is your body putting it it's puny defenses as those gamma rays come hurdling across the cold, dead vaccum of space to crash into your skins and mutate you in horrable ways (i.e., skin cancer) The sun is so bad for you. Have you ever seen someone who's lived their entire life in the sun? By the time they hit 40, their skin looks like leather! No thanks. All you need is a little vitamin D supplement that you can get at any grocery store for six bucks and you don't need sunlight at all.

Please don't mention SAD, as I do not suffer from it, except maybe in reverse...when I pull back my black curtains in my room in summer and see that the death-orb is in the sky and in force, I loose motivation to go out and prefer to stay behind those curtains with a good book and some candle light.

Also, rain is okay by me, because I say this: At least you don't have to shovel it! Try dealing with snow ten to twelve times a year like here in Jersey. It makes the whole place shut down and driving dangerous, can that be said about a little drizzle?

I move to the NW next year, and personally, the weather is one of the many reasons I WANT to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-28-2008, 11:33 PM

184 posts, read 335,033 times
I don't usually post in "weather" threads anymore because they are in my opinion so stupid...but just wanted to say:

I LOVE Seattle weather. Not just like, but LOVE for the very reasons you mentioned.

Mild temperatures, no heavy snowfalls or excessive sun in your face year round. Believe it or not, no heavy downpours falling on your head 365 days a year like some around here say.

Seattle's weather is in my opinion one of the best in the country along with San Francisco. Some people on this forum (in particular a Girl from a City) absolutely detest the weather and find it shocking that anybody wouldn't detest it as much as her. She believes that everybody MUST suffer from SAD and hate Seattle. Unlike her and others I know that weather is an opinion and each will have their own slice of heaven. What is worse is that these people's opinion of the weather leads to an all around hate for the city of Seattle and breeds strange comments like: Me and my kids never get out of the house because there is nothing to do here. Yet Seattle is ranked as the top 3 cities in the nation in terms of recreational activities. Oh well....

Just as a note: I was looking at this years list of most liveable cities in the world and cities with the highest human development index-many of which are the same- and noticed one interesting fact:

Not one city in the top 24 was from a hot climate. Not ONE in the world. Every city had mild to cool temperatures year round. And guess what the number 1 city was on both lists?

Vancouver, Canada! Seattle's twin on so many levels. Oh, and the highest ranking American cities on the list? Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, and Honolulu.

Honolulu is the only sunny year round city, but even they have mild temperatures compared to the Sauna that is the South, the Oven that is the South West, and the Freezer that is the North East.

Unread 09-28-2008, 11:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,981,474 times
Seattle's weather is one of the best in the US along with San Diego and Portland, OR. San Francisco has perfect weather in fall, winter and spring. Summers are very cool and windy

Last edited by Botev1912; 09-29-2008 at 12:29 AM..

Unread 09-29-2008, 11:42 AM

563 posts, read 513,002 times
I too love Seattle's weather. I have been twice now, once in the Summer and once in the Winter, and loved every minute. That's why I'm trying to move there. Hopefully some day it will happen. I am such a temperature-sensitive person, and Seattle has very mild fluctuations in temperature. When you add on the beauty of the surrounding area, it just makes it a no-brainer.

Unread 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,789,080 times
I love it, except when it gets over 80.

Unread 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM

2,902 posts, read 6,502,060 times
I've been here six weeks and the weather has been nothing but beautiful. Even on those few dreary days, the temperature is still fine and as far as I can tell, it tends to clear up throughout the day just as much as rain.

Unread 09-29-2008, 01:57 PM

3,165 posts, read 3,914,098 times
I'm definitely an unapologetic lover of Seattle's weather!

Unread 09-29-2008, 02:13 PM

330 posts, read 489,687 times
I love the weather when it's early Fall and late Spring; the temps are just right. But what I love about Seattle weather is when there is an overcast sky. If there is one thing I hate more than the traffic, it's waiting for traffic to get moving while the sun is shining down on me and nothing, not a hand or a visor, helps to shield it.

Unread 09-29-2008, 02:52 PM

3,714 posts, read 4,847,537 times
I love it...today!

Unread 09-29-2008, 02:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 742,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Am I the only one who likes the ideal of Seattle weather? Granted, I have never been there, but it sounds wonderful...not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter and the clouds, the beautiful clouds!

Cynics look at the sky and say "it's grey"...I look at the sky and don't see grey, I see Silver, marble, platinum and ivory. I love the idea of misty skies and 60s degrees...

As opposed to that evil orb of cosmic death-rays euphemisticaly referred to as "the sun". Got news for you sunworshippers, that tan you get is your body putting it it's puny defenses as those gamma rays come hurdling across the cold, dead vaccum of space to crash into your skins and mutate you in horrable ways (i.e., skin cancer) The sun is so bad for you. Have you ever seen someone who's lived their entire life in the sun? By the time they hit 40, their skin looks like leather! No thanks. All you need is a little vitamin D supplement that you can get at any grocery store for six bucks and you don't need sunlight at all.

Please don't mention SAD, as I do not suffer from it, except maybe in reverse...when I pull back my black curtains in my room in summer and see that the death-orb is in the sky and in force, I loose motivation to go out and prefer to stay behind those curtains with a good book and some candle light.

Also, rain is okay by me, because I say this: At least you don't have to shovel it! Try dealing with snow ten to twelve times a year like here in Jersey. It makes the whole place shut down and driving dangerous, can that be said about a little drizzle?

I move to the NW next year, and personally, the weather is one of the many reasons I WANT to move there.
Im in phoenix where the death orb is destroying me 340 days a year. I hate the damn thing. I lived in Vancouver wa and enjoyed that silver sky as you do, people think we are crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area