U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2009, 04:48 PM

3,261 posts, read 4,169,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I am not suggesting is exclusive to Seattle, but I am writing that it is the mindset that drove us out. Living in Austin, TX it is predominantly liberal but we have not experienced the same kind of mentality that if you don't vote D you are evil. While in Seattle, we actually had a neighbor avoid us for a long time after she learned we were participating the R caucuses.

I am sure it happens in San Francisco too (my sister lived there for over a decade and told me as much - although she is pretty left so it didn't bother all that much) However, I've never lived in SF so I couldn't tell you what it is like there. I imagine that in some parts of the conservative south, you'd find the same thing with the the liberals being ostracized, but again, I've never lived in any of those places so I cannot give a first hand account.
I realize that Austin and Houston do not have the same political environment...however while living in Houston in 1980 and volunteering for the Carter campaign my neighbor made it clear that he did not want anything to do with anybody who supported Carter.

Four years later while visiting friends in Dallas I had several stories about similar incidents...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:26 PM

88 posts, read 148,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I realize that Austin and Houston do not have the same political environment...however while living in Houston in 1980 and volunteering for the Carter campaign my neighbor made it clear that he did not want anything to do with anybody who supported Carter.

Four years later while visiting friends in Dallas I had several stories about similar incidents...

Although, I had friends across the political spectrum when I lived in DC. Of course, that's obviously a very political town, where the different parties and factions tend to mingle more, political debates (even among the laity) are common, and, where Democrats, Republicans, Greens, Independents, etc, congregate in this lollapooloza event that we call national politics.

If course, I refer to this time as the "Golden Era," back when we were just bushy tailed idealists all just trying to figure out this kooky old document that had been kicking around the scene for a while. It was like deconstructionist literature as applied to the Dead Sea scrolls, but we didn't care. We did know this, though the "man"" could not be obdurate by keeping anyone down. Whether it was someone stating the conditions upon which they'd give up their 2nd amendment rights, or that wacky neighbor kid with his goofy hair handing out flyers about the whales and greenpeace (to wit: "the man" oppressing us due to inaction -- see, we're very particular about not only what "the man" does but what "he" does not do as well), we all just sort of occupied the neighorhood and managed to get along. I tend to get emotional as I write this, so please bear with me. I remember those neighborhood block parties where the local chapter president of the RNC cut a rug to that Vanilla Ice tune "Stop! Collaborate and listen." with that nice lady from the Nader campaign. Good times, good times indeed.

That may be one of the few exceptions, and I'm not saying DC isn't also politically polarized.

Last edited by Vells; 12-03-2009 at 05:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area