U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 04:19 PM

43 posts, read 155,377 times
Smile I'm Black and was born in Seattle. Why was I?

I was born in Seattle but I grew up and live in Atlanta where it's 60% black. I'm black too.

But everytime I say I was born in Seattle dudes wanna laugh and clown my ass. Now I don't remember too much about Seattle but I know the areas where I lived.

I lived in Kent, Skyway, Tukwila, Federal Way, and a lil stint in Central District. What are these places like? What are the demographics?

I'm a little confused too because my family is poor. My mother was on Section 8 and we had all the public assitance you can think of in Atlanta yet I don't remember it being that bad in Seattle. We only could afford apartments but I don't remember it being as bad as it was down here.

I would really appreciate responses.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:17 PM

62 posts, read 367,318 times
I noticed a post about racial statistics in Seattle, that means nothing. Certain areas contain a more concentrated population of certain races. If you want to live around black people, live in Renton, Federal Way or South Seattle. Belleuve, Kirkland and much of the East Side is white and Asian. Lots of Mexicans live in Kent and Renton, and lots of Indians (from India) are in Kent as well. Much of the north end is white and arab. I am white, but have a lot of black friends and they all moved to Renton and South Seattle to "be around their people" as they put it to me.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:19 PM

62 posts, read 367,318 times
Add on to my previous reply:

Be prepared for a much more "tough" and "street" version of blacks, please don't think I am being racists because I am not, I am just giving you the truth. The south is much more polite, many of the blacks here are more "thug" and gangsta than what you would see in the south. Maybe they feel they have to prove something. I am not sure. I have a lot of black friends and that is what they explained to me when we were having a discussion about it because we have all been to the south and noticed the blacks are different than the ones up here in how they behave etc.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:16 PM

4,520 posts, read 8,060,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martina26 View Post
Add on to my previous reply:

Be prepared for a much more "tough" and "street" version of blacks, please don't think I am being racists because I am not, I am just giving you the truth. The south is much more polite, many of the blacks here are more "thug" and gangsta than what you would see in the south. Maybe they feel they have to prove something. I am not sure. I have a lot of black friends and that is what they explained to me when we were having a discussion about it because we have all been to the south and noticed the blacks are different than the ones up here in how they behave etc.
Martina26 you have no clue. You are not giving anyone the truth. Of course you do have to mention that you have black friends. You are being racist and don't even realize it. I lived in urban areas all across North America and being black myself I can tell you first hand that blacks here are no more rough, gangsta or thuggish than anywhere else. You need to stop the BS.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:59 PM

26,250 posts, read 21,358,159 times
I agree. I live in the metro Atlanta area and the notion that blacks are more "gangsta" in Seattle than in other places is just garbage. I used to live in the Seattle area. I should know. I live in the metro Atlanta area now.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 17,535 times
I grew up in Seattle. Cheasty Blvd/Andover st area. I think for me, being black and living in the 60-70's Seattle was the absolute no brainer best place for a kid to grow up. We were so diversified. My neighbors were mostly Black/Asian. Only 2 white families. EVERYONE got along. While Newark/Detroit were exploding Seattle was just chillin. I left Seattle when I turned 18. I have been all over the country and halfway around the world. I live on the East coast now. I live in area of NJ that is relatively safe. Asbury Park (nearby) is tough. But let me say this, I played basketball (street) People who don't know me, it never fails think I came from NY/Chi/Det Philly etc because of the way I played ball and carry myself. I have never tried to front or be someone I'm not. My point is you can be a cool brotha from Baltimore or Portland, it's all relatively the same. You can tell where people are from by their accents...and I have come to realize that cats from Seattle/Portland/Oakland SF/LA sound kinda caucasian. Hey whatever, we were just taught to speak properly. Yeah we use ebonics and listen, I knew/know some Haaaard brothas from Seattle. I know cats from Seattle that can handle living and doin dirt in any city they chose. That is a fact. Seattle should be proud that it does not have the "rep" of being hard. Is Philly, New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore/DC, St. Louis etc..proud of their very high murder rates? They would LOVE to have the peace and tranquility of Seattle. Best thing to happen to Seattle is that it is tucked away from everybody being up north. Keeps the population moderate, and with the gloomy weather, keeps people from overcrowding the place. If Seattle had California weather, with how pretty everything looks on a nice day would probably have well over a million people just in the City alone. Look at what's happening in Phoenix AZ!...Millions of people and the murder rate/crime rate is thru the roof. Phoenix would LOVE to have Seattle low murder rate as well. I just came back from Atlanta. Atlanta is a great place. It actually reminds me of Seattle somewhat. If more blacks found Seattle, it could be West Atlanta. Anyway Pwright1 your photo's really brought back memories (fond) Thanks. Black people DO NOT be embarrassed or clowned by being from Seattle. NO ONE here in Jersey clowns me about Seattle, I can handle my business and clown them. Last thing, I met a cat from LA, while playing Streetball in Virginia. In between games he was telling me how he grew up in LA but never had any problems. I told him I was from Sea-town and he let out an "awww man" I can't stand that place! Turns out that on a visit to Seattle he got carjacked on Rainier. Punk'd down in the South end. He was from COMPTON. Ah well, can happen anywhere. Hope you guys enjoyed my post.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:59 PM

24 posts, read 71,057 times
Thanks for sharing the photographs. Man, made me home sick. I can't wait to return.

Currently, I am in the Summerville, South Carolina, Charleston area. The ratio of races exist if that is what a person is looking for, but diversity in socializing I like and here in the south it doesn't exist. Cincinnati, Ohio (Mason) was the same way too. Total separation.

In my social group in Seattle, whites, blacks - Nigerian and American, Filipino, Japanese, Vietnamese, Russian, Mexican, Indian, Lebanese.

Here, three races. Whites, Black and Latino...and we are all pretty much on our side of the tracks with a few speckles intertwined in "each others" subdivisions. Self segregation I guess. I don't like it.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM

26,250 posts, read 21,358,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeanson View Post
I grew up in Seattle. Cheasty Blvd/Andover st area. I think for me, being black and living in the 60-70's Seattle was the absolute no brainer best place for a kid to grow up. We were so diversified. My neighbors were mostly Black/Asian. Only 2 white families. EVERYONE got along. While Newark/Detroit were exploding Seattle was just chillin. I left Seattle when I turned 18. I have been all over the country and halfway around the world. I live on the East coast now. I live in area of NJ that is relatively safe. Asbury Park (nearby) is tough. But let me say this, I played basketball (street) People who don't know me, it never fails think I came from NY/Chi/Det Philly etc because of the way I played ball and carry myself. I have never tried to front or be someone I'm not. My point is you can be a cool brotha from Baltimore or Portland, it's all relatively the same. You can tell where people are from by their accents...and I have come to realize that cats from Seattle/Portland/Oakland SF/LA sound kinda caucasian. Hey whatever, we were just taught to speak properly. Yeah we use ebonics and listen, I knew/know some Haaaard brothas from Seattle. I know cats from Seattle that can handle living and doin dirt in any city they chose. That is a fact. Seattle should be proud that it does not have the "rep" of being hard. Is Philly, New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore/DC, St. Louis etc..proud of their very high murder rates? They would LOVE to have the peace and tranquility of Seattle. Best thing to happen to Seattle is that it is tucked away from everybody being up north. Keeps the population moderate, and with the gloomy weather, keeps people from overcrowding the place. If Seattle had California weather, with how pretty everything looks on a nice day would probably have well over a million people just in the City alone. Look at what's happening in Phoenix AZ!...Millions of people and the murder rate/crime rate is thru the roof. Phoenix would LOVE to have Seattle low murder rate as well. I just came back from Atlanta. Atlanta is a great place. It actually reminds me of Seattle somewhat. If more blacks found Seattle, it could be West Atlanta. Anyway Pwright1 your photo's really brought back memories (fond) Thanks. Black people DO NOT be embarrassed or clowned by being from Seattle. NO ONE here in Jersey clowns me about Seattle, I can handle my business and clown them. Last thing, I met a cat from LA, while playing Streetball in Virginia. In between games he was telling me how he grew up in LA but never had any problems. I told him I was from Sea-town and he let out an "awww man" I can't stand that place! Turns out that on a visit to Seattle he got carjacked on Rainier. Punk'd down in the South end. He was from COMPTON. Ah well, can happen anywhere. Hope you guys enjoyed my post.

I used to live in Seattle(Everett specifically) and I live in the northern Atlanta suburbs(northern Cobb County) and I would go back to Seattle if I had any kind of steady income(I'm a college student and it's cheaper to stay in GA). For some reason I found more stereotyping of blacks in Atlanta than I did in Seattle. As an African-American who does sound what some people would call "Caucasian", I know what you mean about being clowned. I also know what you mean if more blacks went to Seattle. My father used to work in Everett. He liked it, but he moved because houses were expensive(and this was in the 1990's). Personally, I think if professional blacks in other cities looked at Seattle's potential and see it's crime rates, I think Seattle black population(specifically professionals) would start going to rise. There are undiscovered places everywhere. I think it is the "rain" reputation that keeps the population relatively low.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 PM

431 posts, read 811,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I used to live in Seattle(Everett specifically) and I live in the northern Atlanta suburbs(northern Cobb County) and I would go back to Seattle if I had any kind of steady income(I'm a college student and it's cheaper to stay in GA). For some reason I found more stereotyping of blacks in Atlanta than I did in Seattle. As an African-American who does sound what some people would call "Caucasian", I know what you mean about being clowned. I also know what you mean if more blacks went to Seattle. My father used to work in Everett. He liked it, but he moved because houses were expensive(and this was in the 1990's). Personally, I think if professional blacks in other cities looked at Seattle's potential and see it's crime rates, I think Seattle black population(specifically professionals) would start going to rise. There are undiscovered places everywhere. I think it is the "rain" reputation that keeps the population relatively low.
Having lived in Everett for two years (now north seattle) you have my condolences. There's nothing up there. You and I need to trade places. I'm one of those people who finds seattle kind of lame. Most black people don't even know where seattle is. It's tucked away in the corner surrounded by Idaho, Oregon and Canada. come on now. Nobody wants to move up here when it's so far away from other major cities. When people ask me about seattle I tell them how beautiful and relatively safe city it is. but that's about all it has to offer in my opinion. It's just kind of a blah city to me. If i were over 40 and married seattle maybe an option. But that's a big maybe. But if you're a twenty-something urban professional. nuh uh...NEXT

Old 09-07-2007, 02:58 AM

4,520 posts, read 8,060,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
Having lived in Everett for two years (now north seattle) you have my condolences. There's nothing up there. You and I need to trade places. I'm one of those people who finds seattle kind of lame. Most black people don't even know where seattle is. It's tucked away in the corner surrounded by Idaho, Oregon and Canada. come on now. Nobody wants to move up here when it's so far away from other major cities. When people ask me about seattle I tell them how beautiful and relatively safe city it is. but that's about all it has to offer in my opinion. It's just kind of a blah city to me. If i were over 40 and married seattle maybe an option. But that's a big maybe. But if you're a twenty-something urban professional. nuh uh...NEXT
If most black people don't know where Seattle is then somebody needs to take a geography class. Don't speak for all black people. I know exactly where Seattle is. I know many 20 something urban black professional transplants who love it including me. I had a nice opportunity to move to Atlanta but I don't care for endless suburban sprawly cities with oppressive hot and humid summers. And speaking of surroundings give me Canada, Oregon and Idaho and day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area