Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
It's blatantly obvious that our President is of mixed heritage. A point of my post was that his choice to call himself "black" when it would be every bit as accurate to call him "white" is for political gain. Even his up-bringing is in no way reflective of African Americans in America. He went to a school in Indonesia as a child, and then later went to private schools and then a predominately white college. He was raised by his white mother and white grand-parents.

If the ethnicity of his parents defines him then he's mixed, not Black.
If the ethnicity of his upbringing defines him then he's White, not Black.

The dude named his book after his father who abandoned him, not his mother or grandparents who had to struggle to raise him.

Why?

Political Gain.

I hope you realize the only thing I'm racist against is Politicians (and NYers). They are their own ethnicity all together.

LOL...it is not political gain to call him black..If your as astute as you seem on this then you would wonder why he tends to avoid serious dialogue on AA related issues. As the above poster stated it's called the "one drop" rule. If you have one drop of AA blood then you are considered black by white society. Plus his features are that of being AA, he can not "pass" so why pretend to be something your physically can not do.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM

191 posts, read 510,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
LOL...it is not political gain to call him black..If your as astute as you seem on this then you would wonder why he tends to avoid serious dialogue on AA related issues. As the above poster stated it's called the "one drop" rule. If you have one drop of AA blood then you are considered black by white society. Plus his features are that of being AA, he can not "pass" so why pretend to be something your physically can not do.

Why would you blame white society for his choice to call himself black? The only time I see the "If you have one drop of black you are black" stereotype is from black stand-up comedians.

When did Dave Chappelle becomes the voice for white America?

Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Why would you blame white society for his choice to call himself black? The only time I see the "If you have one drop of black you are black" stereotype is from black stand-up comedians.

When did Dave Chappelle becomes the voice for white America?
If you're relying on comedians to educate you about being black in America, that could be one source for your confusion. Comedians make jokes and while it's based in some reality, it's still designed to be funny and not necessarily be taken seriously.

I am not saying just white society, I'm saying American society as this one drop rule is applied by all whether they be black, white, hispanic or whatever. A mixed B/W person is, for the most part, considered black. Also as zippy mentioned, if your facial features are that of a Black American, then you're a Black American, period.

I also disagree that calling oneself black is political gain. A Black Person has to prove themselves twice as hard to be taken seriously in many circles. Even Obama still has to deal with racial stereotyping despite the fact that he has done everything to try to neutralize race issues regarding himself.

mod interpose: This thread is no longer about Seattle. Feel free to move the conversation to the P&OC forum. Anybody wishing to continue to discuss "Blacks in Seattle," please start a new thread. If anybody wants to discuss a specific post in this thread and it has to do with Seattle, please send me a Direct Message and we will investigate other avenues. This thread is now closed. Thanks.
--'r

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-20-2010 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area