Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:20 PM

17 posts, read 45,975 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be relocating from SoCal to the Seattle area. I will be working near the Boeing plant in Renton. I am a single female professional and don't have to worry about children and schools. I am looking for a safe neighborhood to live relatively close to the Boeing plant in Renton. I am a looking for a short commute. I am looking to first rent, check out the areas, and then hopefully buy a townhouse. I am a fairly active person, and am seeking an area to live that I will be in proximity to singles activities. I love the outdoors and play volleyball. I love the outdoors and the greenery in the area and I understand that it is cheaper to live in Seattle than SoCal, so that is one of the reasons I am considering this move. I will be retiring in about 4-5 years, so I would like to hopefully make this my retirement destination. Does anybody out there have any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate any comments and thank you in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Since I'm from So Cal, tell me what places/neighborhoods you like there - then I can give you a comparable area here

If I was single and professional (even if I did work in Renton) I wouldn't live there. My first choice would be Queen Anne

Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Hi, thanks for the post.

I currently live in the South Bay, near LAX in Torrance. I like walking on the beach, going out to eat and doing activities with my singles group. I play vlleyball on the beach, so I would like to continue playing volleyball if I can, I like going to 24 hour fitness and going on walks. I enjoy the outdoors. Where is Queen Anne? How much would you say a 2 bed/2 bath townhouse would be. Living in LA, I hate the commute, so I wanted a fairly short commute in Seattle. How did the change of weather affect you, I know Seattle is rainy, and it is sunny most of the time here...did you have any probs getting accustomed to the weather? How long have you been in Seattle, would you ever move back to SOCAL?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:01 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
Having moved from SoCal (San Diego, but grew up in Orange County) to Seattle, I just want to warn you that it's cheaper to buy a house in most parts of CA than it is in the Seattle area right now. The housing market hasn't been as hard hit up here as it is in CA. My parents are finding 3bd/2ba townhomes in Aliso Viejo/Laguna Hills for between $190K to $250K right now, and there's nothing in that price range in a comparable area around Seattle that I've found. I live on the Eastside, which to me is like the Orange County of the Seattle area, and townhouses in my neighborhood are still going for $500K and up. I also haven't found most other aspects of cost of living (groceries, gas, electricity, etc.) to be that much cheaper either. The no state income tax up here, is nice, though.

I would think for volleyball, you'll have to find someplace to play indoors. I've yet to see what I'd consider a "real" beach here in WA. Plus, with the weather, I'm not sure how much volleyball you'd want to play in the rain.

As to the weather, I actually don't like being hot, so I quite enjoy the weather up here, however during the winter, some days (like today) I do get sort of lethargic and don't really want to leave the house, which is a good thing I work from home, or I think I might take a lot of sick days.

V. =)

Old 11-06-2008, 04:20 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar1373 View Post
Hi, thanks for the post.
How did the change of weather affect you, I know Seattle is rainy, and it is sunny most of the time here...did you have any probs getting accustomed to the weather? How long have you been in Seattle, would you ever move back to SOCAL?
don't ask her. She detests the weather in Seattle.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
There are some apartments and condos a little North of the factory on Lake Washington Blvd that are very close to Gene Coulon Beach Park. You can use google maps to zoom in on that area to see what it looks like. A bit farther North is Kennydale which is a decent area with good views of the lake.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I've seen beach volleyball played at Greenlake and at Ali Beach in West Seattle. Both are nice areas to live, Alki being the closest thing Seattle has to a California beach town...
And I'll second what AzDreamer said about that area of Renton. They're just finishing up The Landing near Gene Coulon Beach park and that will contain a lot of apartments and restaurants and retail. they just opened up a 14 screen movie theatre there.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 AM

Thanks to all who have replied. For those of you who know SoCal, looking for a place similar to Torrance in the South Bay, about 20 miles southeast of LAX. Just looking for some place that is fairly safe and a view of a lake would be great. I had been to Seattle to visit many years ago, so I am really not familiar with any of the areas. What would be the best place if I worked in Renton? I have heard Bellevue and Isaquaah are nice? I really appreciate your inputs, I would also want to be in close proximity to shopping like Costco, TJ Max, and my fitness gym 24hour fitness. I also prefer the cooler weather, and don't like it when it gets so hot down here.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 AM

Thank you Veronika, Azdreamer and Ira500. What areas are considered the Eastside?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Yeah yeah yeah - I detest the weather. But I think she'd like a WOMAN's perspective FROM So Cal.

YOu'll find on this board alot of disagreement on the weather - BUT you won't from many Californians that moved here. Every friend that I had from Calif - has already moved back - LUCKY!

And yes we are moving back. It's just harder for me, because I have children and family (taking the kids out of school , and moving them, AND away from grandparents is not easy)

Yes the lack of sun really effects a sunny californian. You should seriously research S.A.D (Seasonal Affected Disorder/Depression) - it is a long long time of cold wet/moist weather here.

I grew up in (Los Angeles) Westchester by Marina Del Rey. When you keep saying South Bay - it makes me think of SF. Torrance to me is more the Valley area. I went to college in Northern Calif. And moved up here 4 years ago.

I became severely depressed and I had never been depressed before. But I was 32 and had a toddler - so I was really homebound. I think if single without kids, it would be a different story. But outdoors up here is - in the rain, in the mud etc. So do you like going out - fully packing layers upon layers of clothes on just to go outside? If you are like me, you like wearing spring dresses etc. It was very hard for me to wear layers - I wasn't used to being so heavy with clothes (IN MAY!!!!)

I'm sure there's got to be volleyball somewhere - but that's a VERY VERY Beach Calif thing - it's not really big up here. Beaches up here are not like in Calif - even the sand is different. Actually it's not really sand up here - it's more like alot of little itty bitty pebbles.

But maybe you can find some indoor sports you'll like - try this website Meetups.com

EIther way - don't try and bring your Calif lifestyle up here thinking you'll be doing the same stuff. Your lifestyle and the way you do things will utterly change. It's a different culture up here (as I'm sure it would be anywhere if someone relocated)

OH! ANd my skin and hair totally changed!! The humidity and moisture up here just torn it apart! Not to mention the lack of sun, makes my skin shallow and dull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area