Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,723,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
California isn't the only other place in the world.
Apparently it is. There's Seattle and Portland and California. If you're in one, eventually you go to one of the other two. There seems to be such a rule.

Considering that the world population has doubled in my lifetime it's hardly surprising that everywhere isn't the same as it used to be, and that people who started out in one place have moved to another. Most Californians started out not in California. Most Washingtonians are from somewhere else. It's no secret that most everything west of the Mississippi did most of it's developing after WW2, in the last 60 years. America has a history of going west. Why is everyone always griping that somebody from somewhere else came along and ruined what used to be? No place is the way it used to be.

And BTW I lived in Austin in the late 80's (after 15 years in California ) and back then everybody in Austin was whining about how all the rich Californians were ruining their town. Some things never change......

Old 11-16-2008, 09:13 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Apparently it is. There's Seattle and Portland and California. If you're in one, eventually you go to one of the other two. There seems to be such a rule.

Considering that the world population has doubled in my lifetime it's hardly surprising that everywhere isn't the same as it used to be, and that people who started out in one place have moved to another. Most Californians started out not in California. Most Washingtonians are from somewhere else. It's no secret that most everything west of the Mississippi did most of it's developing after WW2, in the last 60 years. America has a history of going west. Why is everyone always griping that somebody from somewhere else came along and ruined what used to be? No place is the way it used to be.

And BTW I lived in Austin in the late 80's (after 15 years in California ) and back then everybody in Austin was whining about how all the rich Californians were ruining their town. Some things never change......
I have known people who used to live here who have gone to many other states and countries.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,183 times
I'm from Calif - So Cal and Nor Cal, I've never felt unwelcome.

But I also am moving back to California - it's VERY hard to adjust to the weather here. Think before you move here.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm from Calif - So Cal and Nor Cal, I've never felt unwelcome.

But I also am moving back to California - it's VERY hard to adjust to the weather here. Think before you move here.
You don't adjust to weather here; it eats at your constitution from the inside.

The only way I've found to deal with it is have some bigger problem that takes your mind off the weather.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 AM

166 posts, read 489,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Move wherever you want and don't worry about what people think.
That pretty much sums it up for me about anywhere in this Country you wanna go. If people are so petty that they hold against you anywhere you've lived before then that's their problem--not yours.

If you know the area suits you then visit or move there and try it out. I moved here recently after a few years in the Bay Area, and so far haven't been hassled about being a CA transplant. I didn't bring the Pot'a'Gold along though that seems to fire the weird CA resentment.

And if you do 'take the leap' to move up this way, despite what some folks say it is OKAY to miss what you've left behind (i.e. nostalgia). If someone hasn't lived where you've been they have absolutely no reason or right to hold that against you or anyone else. I think there is just way too much hype about this whole hating on CA folks...I haven't seen it here yet, but then again I don't tend to hang around with bitter people or put much stock into myopic opinions.

Best of luck if you move up this way! It's a very interesting and unique place worth trying out.

BTW, if you come up please bring an NHL hockey team along, despite what any would say about not bringing anything CA. Preferably the San Jose Sharks .

Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
You don't adjust to weather here; it eats at your constitution from the inside.

The only way I've found to deal with it is have some bigger problem that takes your mind off the weather.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Once again, very on-topic here.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:03 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,114 times
I don't know how much of what I experienced is dislike towards CA vs. the general Seattle Freeze. From the moment we moved in, our neighbors were rude to us (literally one next door neighbor grunted at me every time I greeted him, and the other won't even make eye contact or acknowledge that I've greeted him).

Anyone that I meet out and about is generally nice if they find out I'm from CA. It's amazing how many other people are, too.

I don't feel an overwhelming "you're not welcome here because you're from CA", it's more like a general, "we don't like new people" attitude.

V. =)

Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,555 times
We are not from California, hence the name, but we are transplants too. The funny thing is that the people who we have befriended out here are all from California, none from Seattle. So I think the more Californians the better!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:27 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
We are not from California, hence the name, but we are transplants too. The funny thing is that the people who we have befriended out here are all from California, none from Seattle. So I think the more Californians the better!
Oh God no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: