U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 PM

8,335 posts, read 14,866,684 times

Advertisements

We got off I-10 onto 99 instead of I-5 because I'd heard that I-5 in that area goes many miles without rest stops or services, etc, where 99 has more restaurants, hotels, towns, etc...Redding was supposed to snow, so we didn't go that far north...
From 99 around Modesto we took Rt 132 to I-5 South for a couple of miles onto I-580 which we followed until it became 101. That was very easy...
Parts of 101 were actually a little bit snowy in Northern CA where it's away from the coast, but it goes through some great towns like Geyserville and Hopland and Eureka...
From Lincoln City, I can't remember the name of the route, but signs for Portland are well marked. It was about a two hour ride to Portland, and was kind of a curvy slow road but was very pretty and not snowy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:01 PM

263 posts, read 709,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
We got off I-10 onto 99 instead of I-5 because I'd heard that I-5 in that area goes many miles without rest stops or services, etc, where 99 has more restaurants, hotels, towns, etc...Redding was supposed to snow, so we didn't go that far north...
From 99 around Modesto we took Rt 132 to I-5 South for a couple of miles onto I-580 which we followed until it became 101. That was very easy...
Parts of 101 were actually a little bit snowy in Northern CA where it's away from the coast, but it goes through some great towns like Geyserville and Hopland and Eureka...
From Lincoln City, I can't remember the name of the route, but signs for Portland are well marked. It was about a two hour ride to Portland, and was kind of a curvy slow road but was very pretty and not snowy.
a little bit snowy like, oh , that's nice to see, or a little bit like you need snow chains and/or possibly a casket (like drivng near medford area)? i just want to get there in one piece by trying to avoid medford, oregon & mt shasta, cali.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 PM

8,335 posts, read 14,866,684 times
No, it was a little bit snowy like " It's nice to see. It better not stick."...And it didn't, and we got out of there and closer to the coast...101 isn't always on the coast, so you might encounter a little bit of snow, but not likely to need chains. We bought chains and hoped that we wouldn't need to use them. We didn't.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:45 AM

22 posts, read 44,372 times
Default We leave Wed. morning!

Hi everyone, I was just rereading everyone's responses and advice one more time before we leave from Orlando to Seattle- thanks again to all who posted with tips and advice! Just incase your curious as to what we finally decided to do:

Taking a 5x8 trailer, hitched to my corolla

here's our trip:

Orlando to Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge to SanAntonio
San An to El Paso
El Paso to Flagstaff (2 days at the Grand Canyon if weather allows!)
Flagstaff to Las Vegas (slot machine fun for the night )
Vegas to San Fran (2 days here to sight see)
San Fran to Crescent City (checking out the Redwood NP here!)
Crescent City to Newport, OR (101 from crescent city all the way up the coast + OP)
Newport to Lake Stevens (trip ends here at my friends place)

We are excited....and still a bit nervous about this huge move, but mostly excited. We really want to enjoy the drive and feel carefree for those 10-13 days because once we arrive in Seattle it's going to be all about jobs jobs jobs and apts apts apts as well as adjusting to your cool weather (it's going to be 84 here today in Otown) and throwing our flip flops in the closet until August

Toodles~
Laura
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area