Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 AM

8 posts, read 21,076 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm so enthused to have found this forum! Everyone seems to be so helpful and I've encountered lots of info I can use on our move. My family and I are moving back to the states after having lived in France for a bit. My daughter has attended french schools here and I am happy to have located 2 french-english schools in the area.

I am looking to enroll her in the French American School of Puget sound, the one on Mercer Island. Besides Bellvue, (which seems to be a very expensive area) can anyone please help us with some names of safe, affordable neighborhoods within the area? We are a family of four, looking for at least a 3 bedroom house or apt to rent. Have been doing alot of research by internet, but you can only get so much from maps- advice would help. Not looking to drive more than 20-30 min for the morning and afternoon commute to school. Thanks alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Safe, affordable areas within 20-30 minutes of Mercer Island.....Well, with a child at French School, do public schools matter? If you have another child, will he/she attend school?

If public schools are not a huge priority, then a few areas worth considering:

Newcastle( it's own city)
Parts of Renton ( Kennydale and others)
Upper Rainier Beach in Seattle ( on the hill overlooking the lake is nicer than the area right by the lake)
Lakeridge, and Bryn Mawr in the area between Rainier Beach and Renton.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,265,955 times
I don't think the rents on Mercer Island are much higher that other Eastside neighborhoods. There are a few neighborhoods that don't have views and they are pretty reasonable.

If you decide to rent off-island you'll have to deal with I-90 traffic four times a day. Even if Mercer Island rent was higher you would be saving time and wear and tear on your car by renting on Mercer Island.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,097,058 times
Here's a head start on finding rentals. It's the combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers all around the areas you're interested in and mentioned above. Click on a location name in the little map to drill down to smaller areas and neighborhoods:
NWapartments: Seattle apartment rentals, house rental listings, rental classifieds and other property rentals in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and other Washington areas, cities and neighborhoods

More resources:
Seattle Weekly (also covers a wider area than just "Seattle"):
Seattle Classifieds - Seattle Weekly
Craigslist:
craigslist: seattle-tacoma classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 AM

8 posts, read 21,076 times
yes, good point about saving on the commute! Now I have some starting points to look into. Its an exciting, but daunting task to pick up and move to somewhere you've never been.

Last edited by PINKIESO8; 01-06-2009 at 03:10 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,097,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKIESO8 View Post
Its an exciting, but daunting task to pick up and move to somewhere you've never been.
Yes, and exhilirating! Life is calling each of you to expand as the universe expands. Wow, you are in for such a wonderful, enriching adventure! I wish you joy

Have you read this thread?
living on Mercer Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area