Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does Seattle have a subway system? If not, what is the reason why the state and local governments have not invested in such a rail system given the large population in the Seattle region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 PM

187 posts, read 576,638 times
Seattle does not have a subway system. It does however, have a fairly decent bus system. Light rail from the airport to downtown will be finished early 2009 (just around the corner) and the people voted to extend the streetcar line to various neighborhoods. The city council just decided yesterday to extend it to First Hill/Capitol Hill, extending the existing line to the U Disctrict, and a Fremont via Westlake line (to the zoo, I believe.)

I am not an engineer by any means, but I'm not sure a subway system could work in this region due to geologic reasons. (??)

Old 12-09-2008, 05:31 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Seattle is built on glacial till and we are in a seismically active area. I think I remember that combination makes a subway impractical (but don't hold me to that, I took Geology of the PNW over 20 years ago!) Most of the growth has taken place in the last two decades and I don't think in the early eighties the powers that be had any idea the level of growth that was in store for this city. For us to have an operating subway system TODAY they would have had to have started it back then.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,017 times
local govt is doing a 100 year impact study first its in its third year. 97 more to go.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
Hmmmm. I know the San Francisco-Oakland Bay area has the BART system and there are underground stations all over. In fact, I think SF is far more prone to earthquakes than Seattle.

I think just about every other major city along the Pacific coast has some kind of rapid rail transit system.

I know there was a tunnel construction project under consideration to replace sections of the Alaskan Viaduct. So I think tunneling in Seattle is geologically possible.

As the population in the Seattle metro region continues to expand, government officials at the local and state level have to come up with a radical solution to move people around. Perhaps, King County/Seattle can get some seed funding for a rapid rail system thanks to the President Obama federal infrastructure spending plan. The state government should kick in money so the rail system can be expanded to the east side as well.

It just astounds me that a large city such as Seattle has no vision with its transportation system. Buses and more cars on the roads are not the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Seattle is built on glacial till and we are in a seismically active area. I think I remember that combination makes a subway impractical (but don't hold me to that, I took Geology of the PNW over 20 years ago!) Most of the growth has taken place in the last two decades and I don't think in the early eighties the powers that be had any idea the level of growth that was in store for this city. For us to have an operating subway system TODAY they would have had to have started it back then.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Hmmmm. I know the San Francisco-Oakland Bay area has the BART system and there are underground stations all over. In fact, I think SF is far more prone to earthquakes than Seattle.
It is the COMBINATION of the seismic activity and glacial till. As far as I know San Francisco is not built upon glacial till. Again, I *think* I remember this from a UW geology class years ago but I could be mistaken. Additionally San Francisco has been densely populated for many many decades. Seattle just the last two.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
A small part of the Light Rail system is underground. Most is above ground - mainly because of cost considerations rather than because of any technical/geological considerations. The trains and track are undergoing testing now on part of the system and it's currently scheduled to begin service next year.

Sound Transit: Link Light Rail Projects

Ken

Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
A small part of the Light Rail system is underground. Most is above ground - mainly because of cost considerations rather than because of any technical/geological considerations. The trains and track are undergoing testing now on part of the system and it's currently scheduled to begin service next year.

Sound Transit: Link Light Rail Projects

Ken
But don't technical/geological considerations factor into the cost?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:29 AM

203 posts, read 720,372 times
I just heard on the radio today that it's been approved to extend to UW and they've got bids to drill out a tunnel under I5. Apparently the bids have come in well under what they were projected to. Good news considering our state's current financial woes.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
But don't technical/geological considerations factor into the cost?
I'm sure they do, but the fact is a tunnel is pretty much always going to cost more than a ground-level system - even without any geological issues. The geological issues CAN be overcome - after all, PART of the system IS underground - just not very much of it. Where possible, it has been built above ground to save money.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area