U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,996,946 times
I like Omaha too. Great zoo, good German restaurants, and easy to navigate. But I'm willing to pay the higher price and live in a smaller place in order to live somewhere urban. And if I'm going to do that, I'm going to take advantage of urban living.

I like 2 buck chuck too. Great for pot-roasts. Try it sometime. But if I'm going to get the $200 bottle of wine, I'm going to enjoy it, and put it in my Riedel glasses, not put it in the pot roast.

Sorry if you think I have an "attitude". Funny, since that Southern charm should've worn off on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 PM

6,554 posts, read 6,055,488 times
Looks like you guys have a weather advisory for 2-4" of snow on the way, though it will change off with rain, so who knows how much might actually accumulate.

Get your canned foods, French press coffeemakers, and propane camping stoves now while you still are able to. Power often goes out when ice forms on the lines.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:39 PM

6,554 posts, read 6,055,488 times
I think you're going to see a few power outages this time around, Botev, what with more snow and icy conditions forecast, but I hope not.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:41 PM

327 posts, read 432,692 times
Thanks for the kind words Jennibc, I needed that! This is all getting to me more than I thought. I'm glad you got your tree and Santa presents all set up for your six year old - a white Christmas is magical especially for kids who don't have to worry about chains and hills

Old 12-24-2008, 01:09 AM

2,819 posts, read 4,390,901 times
In my opinion it has been so cold in December because November was 4 degrees above average

Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,459,699 times
Salt, sand....it is all bad for the environment.

Sand on roads worse than salt, environmentalists say | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2008554976_roads24m.html - broken link)

Old 12-24-2008, 08:32 AM

1,562 posts, read 4,173,190 times
From the article: "In a place such as Seattle, where salt is used infrequently, Benbow said he couldn't imagine the concentrations getting high enough to do any harm."

The city needs to review its policies and procedures for next time (whenever that it is). I'm not going to even try to get to slippery downtown this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Sand on roads worse than salt, environmentalists say | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2008554976_roads24m.html - broken link)

Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 AM

204 posts, read 471,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum View Post
That's incorrect. The EPA changed the way they measured fuel economy in 2008 (made it more stringent), and they went back and re-rated every car on fueleconomy.gov using this new methodology. You're comparing a 2WD Galant that is rated 19/25 using the NEW method, to a AWD Galant that is rated 19/25 using the OLD method. You have to click on the "Compare to Official EPA Window Sticker Fuel Economy" link to see what the car was originally rated for. You'll see that your car is rated 17/23 using the new method, which is a lot less than 19/25.

That fact is, all things being equal, AWD lessens fuel economy compared to 2WD. It is indisputable.
I should have looked around better on the fueleconomy site. You clearly have done a little homework on the subject. You've shown that numbers can lie (especially when standards have changed). I DO understand and KNOW that AWD is generally going to be less efficient. It's common knowledge in the mitsubishi/dsm racing circles that we AWD owners suffer more drivetrain loss for the benefit of traction. Sometimes it shows toward the end of the track when the 2WD starts catching up! I figured the difference was just being made up with turbo efficiency. Turns out it was different standards! OF COURSE if all things are equal awd is going to be less economical. Your initial statement is what got me started though, saying that awd is found on larger, less economical vehicles. Anyhooo.. rather than just argue for the sake of it...

Thank you for pointing out the new economy standards. It's always good to learn a little something. Oh, and thank you once again for that very same thing, because now i dont feel so bad about the 18mpg i'm getting. Thanks to your retort, I dug a little deeper and DID find my car on the site. Apparently my initial cursory search was a bit on the weak side as it listed galants of various years on the page. Interestingly, AWDs seem to have close to the same loss vs 2wd as a manual does vs an auto, in some instances.

BTW, i usually drive my geo metro XFi which gets about 42 to the gallon. (so i KNOW about being economical, heh) It would get more, but with my *THREE CYLINDERS of FURY* only pumping out 55bhp, the pedal is on the floor a lot. Gas in the galant vr4 is ridiculous as i haven't re-tuned it for this elevation in the 3 months i've been back. (before this monday i had only driven it some 5 times) Although it was actually getting a little over 30mpg on the freeway on the trip back from Salt Lake... it got worse as i got closer to home.

Back on topic though..

I don't really think Seattle has piles of salt sitting around like they do in Salt Lake City. Do we? If we DO have it.. why? If not.. would it really be worth it to truck it in, in most cases? USUALLY snow only hangs around here on the roads for a couple of days. This weather lately is just ridiculous! The place i work for has closed a couple days already, and will be closing for holidays. This is getting costly for me, and then i have to deal with guzzling gas when i drive the awd to work.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:53 AM

255 posts, read 671,480 times
Seattlerightnow, I love your post!!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:15 PM

145 posts, read 387,019 times
Default re: glass is half full

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post

moove to seattle, he sez
mild temperatures, he sez
dunt even need winter jaket, he sez

time to find new hooman

what a great picture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area