U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 AM

204 posts, read 483,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofparadise View Post
How long did it take you to find work in your field in Seattle? Were you looking for work from out of state? Did you have to fly in for any interviews or were phone interviews enough?

I work in the IT field, with 4 solid years of experience and i didn't want to take less than $20 an hour, so that limited my job search a little bit. I came back to washington from utah around september 25th. I had started putting myself out there (on the job market here) pretty seriously in mid July and had a few phone interviews, which got me some in person interviews as soon as i got here. After dealing with a few slave traders (staffing agencies), having a few interviews (many not quite panning out) i took a 2 week long vista migration project which fit my salary requirements the first part of november. Meanwhile i'd had interviews which went well and 3 or 4 places were keeping in touch, letting me know i was "in the running" for a position. I secured my current position while i was doing the vista migration, so they actually had to wait a couple of days for me to start here in mid november.

So to answer your question.. it took me about 6 weeks to get a job, even though it was only one little project to get me by and put some money in my pocket. I had a FT job in mid november.. making it two months before i had a permanent one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:28 AM

66 posts, read 105,223 times
I graduated in May 08 with a degree in computer engineering in Orlando, FL. I've been on the job hunt since before then and still haven't had a bite. Looks like most of the companies where I live are looking for people with experience or you need to know someone to get in. That being said, there are many more jobs I am coming up with on my search in Seattle and it sounds like a fabulous place to live.

I started looking at the end of December, but it seems its so hard to break into a career. You need experience to get a job but you also need to get a job to get experience. For an entry level engineer it is really tough.

I'm hoping to find a company that will hire me and move me out there but there are plans in place to move out there regardless. Hopefully by then with a Seattle address some companies would be more interested. This is just a horrible time to be looking

Old 01-03-2009, 10:27 AM

263 posts, read 703,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstie View Post
I graduated in May 08 with a degree in computer engineering in Orlando, FL. I've been on the job hunt since before then and still haven't had a bite. Looks like most of the companies where I live are looking for people with experience or you need to know someone to get in. That being said, there are many more jobs I am coming up with on my search in Seattle and it sounds like a fabulous place to live.

I started looking at the end of December, but it seems its so hard to break into a career. You need experience to get a job but you also need to get a job to get experience. For an entry level engineer it is really tough.

I'm hoping to find a company that will hire me and move me out there but there are plans in place to move out there regardless. Hopefully by then with a Seattle address some companies would be more interested. This is just a horrible time to be looking

Seattle is an awesome place for a CE/CS major, but right now the economy is pretty much tough everywhere. Let me tell you from my experience companies hire less during Nov-Jan, at least non-retail jobs.

Also, a lot of times companies have jobs available, but they don't post then on job boards. If I were you I'd go to real company websites and submit a resume. This will you get you in their database and possibly when a position comes up your name will too when a recruiter pulls some resumes from their DB.

I had a guy in Houston earlier this year call me for a position I submitted my resume for. He asked me when I could be there and I told 'em I'm still in AZ. He was like, why did you apply for a job here when you are there?! In his words "companies rarely hire someone from out of state anymore (cost prohibitive) unless they can't find the talent locally". Similar situation happend to me regarding a job in DC as well. My wife, however, will find out next week if she has a job in Seattle that she never even went in person to interview for. So, my advice is that to not get your hopes up too high (or at least be prepared to wait a considerable amount of time) when trying to find a job in another state, especially when you don't have any job experience. You'll have to take the plundge eventually and just move to WA, but it will be wise to wait until the economy straightens up unless you have people support in WA. Look for paid intern jobs as well....

Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,981,761 times
Well I'm moving from the east coast as a LPN and still going to get my RN. I hope Seattle offers something to the medical field that I would be able to use. Over here on the east is like a medical utopia but I'm sick of it here. I have not found as much as I would over here. I still have a year or so to move i guess.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 AM

66 posts, read 105,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
Seattle is an awesome place for a CE/CS major, but right now the economy is pretty much tough everywhere. Let me tell you from my experience companies hire less during Nov-Jan, at least non-retail jobs.

Also, a lot of times companies have jobs available, but they don't post then on job boards. If I were you I'd go to real company websites and submit a resume. This will you get you in their database and possibly when a position comes up your name will too when a recruiter pulls some resumes from their DB.

I had a guy in Houston earlier this year call me for a position I submitted my resume for. He asked me when I could be there and I told 'em I'm still in AZ. He was like, why did you apply for a job here when you are there?! In his words "companies rarely hire someone from out of state anymore (cost prohibitive) unless they can't find the talent locally". Similar situation happend to me regarding a job in DC as well. My wife, however, will find out next week if she has a job in Seattle that she never even went in person to interview for. So, my advice is that to not get your hopes up too high (or at least be prepared to wait a considerable amount of time) when trying to find a job in another state, especially when you don't have any job experience. You'll have to take the plundge eventually and just move to WA, but it will be wise to wait until the economy straightens up unless you have people support in WA. Look for paid intern jobs as well....
I wanted to thank you for replying to this. It is an interesting time to be searching for a job and I only wish I had landed one here for experience. However we are prepared to take the plunge and move to Seattle on our own so that's good news I guess. I have a fellow classmate who graduates this spring who is being hired to move and work at MS straight out of school as a PM and they are paying for her relocation. Its rare but I have proof it does happen! I think I will try the next few months to have that kind of opportunity but in the meantime I shall keep looking. A fresh new year with new budgets and new projects despite a sad economy should still hold some opportunity.

Do you have any advice for finding the tech companies local to Seattle? For big places that I know of like MS and Boeing I have applied directly to their websites but I was wondering if there is any kind of local directory listing. I am open to paid internships, too, its just hard to find them! I've been searching on monster, career builder, dice, usajobs, seattle times, just would like to narrow down a few more companies directly. Where I am at in Florida we have a "tech corridor" and websites that list all the companies so you can track down each one and apply directly.

I've also signed up for the head hunting agencies and have applied to probably 25 jobs already which is about 24 more than in my area.

If all else fails my husband has been applying to some places to and makes a decent salary. Even if he doesn't get hired we can still move and rent on his job now, and when I get hired look into getting a house. I think by the time we make arrangements to come out there the job market will be much more ripe. Right now Florida has been leading with the highest rate of unemployment so the fact I've found several jobs to apply to in Seattle compared to virtually no new ones here has been a really beacon of hope.

Thanks again for the tips, it is reassuring to know we have a very realistic view on how to move out there. I just hope a company will be willing to foot the bill first In the meantime, time to save up/sell off old stuff!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM

307 posts, read 789,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Well I'm moving from the east coast as a LPN and still going to get my RN. I hope Seattle offers something to the medical field that I would be able to use. Over here on the east is like a medical utopia but I'm sick of it here. I have not found as much as I would over here. I still have a year or so to move i guess.
My experience---I moved here 3 years ago and have 25plus years experience in all areas mostly critical care. I started out working for an agency as no one responded to my application---funny, lots of jobs. Never have I had a problem. Working at a agency, I found a great job. Go figure---might be a place to start. Best of luck---think their is alot of human resources red tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area