Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 PM

28 posts, read 152,620 times

Advertisements

How much gross annual salary do I need to support myself in Seattle assuming that I will rent a studio apartment in a safe area someplace with a lively social scene and close to all amenities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
How "close" do you want to be to the amenities -- walking, bus ride, or driving distance? And what does "all" amenities include?

For you, what constitutes "lively social scene"? Singles bars? Jazz clubx? Museusms? Participatory sports? Churches?

A necessary yearly salary will depend entirely on how much you wish to spend on the lively social scene, clothes, transportation especially car, and eating out. What are your parameters?

A studio in a safe area (all of western Washington is safe) of Seattle or close suburbs will run $700 per month and up, mostly up. Plus electricity, cable, internet, phone if landline, garage parking... The closer to all that lively social scene and "all" amenities, the higher the rent.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM

Are there a lot of vacancies in Seattle? I have my own car. I'm living very simply on the east coast right now - mostly fast food and other than going to church, no social life. All that needs to change when I get to Seattle. Lively social scene to me means downtown with people my age - mid 30's. Living near the Pacific Ocean would be great.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:35 PM

145 posts, read 645,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofparadise View Post
How much gross annual salary do I need to support myself in Seattle assuming that I will rent a studio apartment in a safe area someplace with a lively social scene and close to all amenities?

It all depends on your income to debt ratio, but assuming you want to scrape by and don't have much monthly debts (eg car, credit cards, etc), then I'd say $20/hr or $3200/mth or $38000 annual gross is the minimum to get by.

apartments.com is your friend....

Old 12-28-2008, 05:38 PM

128 posts, read 362,574 times
It use to be that "success was earning your age." In this new economy, I think success is spending ~10% LESS than your age.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 PM

How about if I want to buy a one bedroom condo? How much down payment would I be looking at and how much in monthly payments? This is assuming that I don't have much to put down as a down payment. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
How about if I want to buy a one bedroom condo? How much down payment would I be looking at and how much in monthly payments? This is assuming that I don't have much to put down as a down payment. Thanks.

Are you jerking us around or what? Your down payment will be based on so many things that nobody could possibly tell you. You may not even need one. bankrate.com has mortgage calculators. craigslist.com and seattletimes.com have realestate listings.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:13 PM

I haven't bought a place before, ok? I was just asking for a generalization, e.g. 10%.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I haven't bought a place before, ok? I was just asking for a generalization, e.g. 10%.

It depends on your income. If you mortgage a $100,000 property but only make $1000 a year, then you will need around $99,999 down payment. See, ti's not really possible to tell you. Generally 3+% is needed.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 PM

OK, thanks. I am assuming that I will make at least as much as is needed for one person to survive without credit card debt and without car payments. 3+% sounds workable for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area