Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

I've got a childhood friend who works for the San Antonio Symphony, and moved there less than a year ago. He loves it so far, and bought a 3000 square foot home in the very nice northern part of San Antonio for 260,000 dollars, which, in Seattle might get you a 1000 square foot home in a marginal area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 PM

116 posts, read 397,348 times
Default Mahalo

The information being provided has just been awesome. Thank you.

We realize the two areas are very different, that is why it is difficult to decide between the two areas.

We may not settle in Issaquah, it's just what we're looking at right now in terms of home affordability and schools. Even if we rent, because of our girls, we'll need to determine school districts before renting so that if we decide to buy we would put down roots in the same school district.

The other concern is that in San Antonio there are enrollment caps for schools. So, if we move to a certain area because of the schools, and the school is capped, our child would be assigned to another school, which may not be as good. According to my sister there is no such thing in "Seattle." We are aware of redistricting, but, we hope to stay well within district lines to avoid being "cut-out" of our chosen school district.

Again, thank you for all of the information about both areas. There is no better information than from those people who have lived in the areas being considered.

If anyone else wants to add their 2cents, feel free, all information is welcome!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:21 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mililani Gal View Post
The information being provided has just been awesome. Thank you.

We realize the two areas are very different, that is why it is difficult to decide between the two areas.

We may not settle in Issaquah, it's just what we're looking at right now in terms of home affordability and schools. Even if we rent, because of our girls, we'll need to determine school districts before renting so that if we decide to buy we would put down roots in the same school district.

The other concern is that in San Antonio there are enrollment caps for schools. So, if we move to a certain area because of the schools, and the school is capped, our child would be assigned to another school, which may not be as good. According to my sister there is no such thing in "Seattle." We are aware of redistricting, but, we hope to stay well within district lines to avoid being "cut-out" of our chosen school district.

Again, thank you for all of the information about both areas. There is no better information than from those people who have lived in the areas being considered.

If anyone else wants to add their 2cents, feel free, all information is welcome!
In the Seattle School district, because there is school choice, there is no guarantee you will get into your neighborhood school. You won't get "cut out" of the entire district but you could get cut out of a particular school.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,371 times
We're moving to San Antonio this summer. It's only for a year, so I can revel in the change and adventure of it, but in my mind, there's no better place to be than western Washington on a beautiful summer day. There is a reason it is called the evergreen state, and having all that gorgeous, sparkling water around is pretty much heaven. Having said that though, those summer days take a long time to get to when you're hanging out in the rain and gray of a fall/winter/and often spring day.

Cost of living is pretty ridiculous in Washington (even with the economic downturn, though getting better)...especially in Seattle and surrounding areas (like Issaquah.) South of Seattle has more reasonable prices, but you have to be picky about the area. Maple Valley and some areas near there can be a little more reasonable, but still nice.

Traffic is another concern in WA. It's terrible pretty much anywhere you live, and rush "hour" lasts from about 6 to 9 in the morning and again from 3 to sometimes 7 at night.

My biggest concerns about moving back to TX (grew up near DFW) are the heat and the creepy crawlies. Not looking forward to having to worry about snakes, tarantulas, scorpions and the like again. (We have NO poisonous snakes in western WA, and far fewer other ickies). I froze during my first summer in WA, but have acclimated, and am really afraid the heat of San Antonio (combined with pregnancy) might kill me! Though a friend in Houston did say, "We just live opposite of most places. We hibernate inside during the summers, and then venture out for fun during the mild winters."

Seattle is a very small big town. There is still a lot of culture in the area (but do not expect to get any good mexican food) but primarily there is an asian flare here (probably much more like HI in that respect). Tons of beautiful hikes and other points of interest within a reasonable driving distance. Though you'd have to think that given the immense size of Texas, you'll have tons there, too...just of a different variety.

Seems like a pretty tough choice, honestly. I am biased towards WA, but maybe after a year in San Antonio, it won't be quite as strong! I've heard wonderful things about the city (and have been told repeatedly that if you are moving to TX, that San Antonio is THE place to live!)

It's been a few months since you originally posted, so maybe you've already made your decision. If not, perhaps this info will help a little!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:06 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
There is good Mexican food in Seattle, you just have to look much harder for it than you do in TX!! (Pesos, Oobas, Cactus, Aqua Verde) And the Issaquah School District is terrific and does not have enrollment caps!! That being said, two entirely different cities so visit both...SA in July or August and Seattle in November and see how you like the weather. I loved my 12 years in TX but have also really enjoyed our recent time here. You might consider checking our Maple Valley. The schools there are getting good reviews and it is more affordable than Issaquah. Good luck!

And thisgirlkim, nothing against SA but I lived in TX for 12 years...10 in Austin and 2 in Dallas and I think most Texans would tell you Austin is the THE place to live, so I find that an interesting comment that you were told that. Most of my friends in Austin that grew up in SA prefer Austin. I liked going to the Riverwalk and SeaWorld and down to a few Spurs games but you will find SA traffic is also no picnic. Parts of SA out by Bandera esp. can be really pretty in that TX sort of way. You will find the people to be very friendly too. Make sure you get up to Austin for a visit. I'd be interested to see what you think.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
Default My comparison

When comparing these two completely different cities it seems as though SA is well behind SEA in so many ways. The one thing that SA has is a considerably lower cost of living but ONLY if you're buying a house. I have lived in apartments in both Seattle and San Antonio and paid the same rent on NW sides of town. Fewer REAL employment opportunities exist in SA, and you're not going to get paid much because they seem to think it costs less to live here. unfortunately this is not entirely true. If you have young children (2-16) I would suggest against SA. The reason I say this is because I grew up in Portland and Seattle and am blessed to had been exposed to the great amount of diversity that exists in the pacific NW. Interactions with a vast amount of cultures has made me a lot more open minded nd well rounded. In SA it is predominantly Hispanic and majority don't really care to be open to other cultures. I've been told certain things are stupid or dumb and I attribute this to the sad fact that these individuals only know one way of doing things, one culture and are very close minded. I would not want to raise kids in SA. I would suggest Austin over SA for anyone moving to South Texas. If you ride public transportation, forget about SA. The transit system is horrible. In Seattle You can get from the equivalent in distance from San Antonio to Austin in about 4 buses.. Dont even think about that in TX. Buses run once per hour so if you like to park and ride Seattle is your best option. Educational systems seem to be that much better in Seattle as well. Just take a look at graduation statistics for both cities. The weather is the biggest complaint I hear. The truth is, Seattle doesn't even get as much rain as South Texas. Seattle does however, have more cloud cover and drizzle days spread over a longer period of time. Example: Seattle can be cloudy for 120 days of the year and have light drizzle over a good portion of those days, but in SA it will rain that total amount in just one full day. streets flood and close down and it's pretty dramatic. It rains much more in TX but just all at once. Summers arent too enjoyable -whereas Seattle produces lovely summers with no crazy humidity. so if you enjoy ALL the seasons, and mild winters with gorgeous summers and sparkling water beaches everywhere, Seattle is your city over San Antonio. if you MUST move to TX then I would suggest Austin. San Antonio will be a mistake.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 PM

12 posts, read 35,148 times
I currently live in San Antonio. I have also spent a fair amount of time in Austin and far less in Seattle so I will not speak as much to Seattle's merits. San Antonio is a nice city and you could choose far worse as a place to live. Austin is also very nice if you were to consider San Antonio I would also keep Austin in mind.

As many have said, public transportation in San Antonio (And even Austin) does not even begin to compare to Seattle's. You will not want to rely on it in SA.

That said, some people actually prefer driving their own car as opposed to using public transportation and for those people San Antonio has Seattle and Austin trumped. Of course there is traffic like in any large city but there are far more highway in San Antonio which is built on a convenient Loop system which makes it easy to get around. You also do not have to deal with driving on slick roads as often as you would in Seattle. If you don't like driving yourself then I would not recommend you move to San Antonio or Austin. Austin is a great city and I would definitely consider it as well as San Antonio. Driving is also better than Seattle but much worse than in San Antonio.

As far as family friendliness, I would have to disagree with the previous poster. From my experience and from what I have have always heard from other the consensus in the area tends to be that San Antonio is more of a family friendly city than Austin. Austin is a great, cool/hip city especially when you are youger but it is definitely a college town. San Antonio has much more to offer when it comes to taking children. They have a much better Zoo and museum compared to Austin. They also have a Seaworld, Six Flags Fiesta Texas and some Park called Morgan's Wonderland. Although, Austin has much better parks than San Antonio. Its not like Austin is necessarily a bad place to raise a family...just not as family friendly as San Antonio in my opinion. But as the previous poster and my post has shown opinions vary and what I find as family friendly and what Sir_Stockton finds family friendly may be totally different from what you find.

Austin does has a great live music scene. As mentioned, their parks are better as well as better outdoor activities and lakes than San Antonio. The lake access comes in handy because as you must be aware now it gets HOT in both towns. Seriously, it averages in the 90s for June and come July and August it will hit the 100s fairly often. It is not horribly humid but I do consider it mildly humid. Now, if you do not go out much it may not be too bad. I mean you will typically go from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned office, school or business of some sort. However, if you like outdoor activities you may find them to be sort of miserable to do in the summer.

Personally, I am getting fed up with the heat around here...especially after this last summer. That being said, many Notherners move down here feeling they would rather deal with the heat than a few months of snow and ice. The winters are very mild in South Texas and you do not get the traditional 4 seasons which I think kind of sucks.

As others have mentioned we also have some big bugs around here. That never bothered me but I guess I got used to the size of the things. People from the North East often freak the first time they see a South Texas cockroach. Things are BIG.

The economy is doing fairly well around here though there will be far more tech and aviation sector jobs in the Seattle area. If owning a home is a goal of yours then you may find San Antonio or Austin a better fit than Seattle. Of course after purchasing a house in San Antonio myself I am starting to feel that home ownership is kind of overrated. I could rent a home for close to the same amount and not have to deal with the high property taxes nor worry about the upkeep.

The Seattle area is definitely prettier to look at when it is not overcast and dreary. The hill country area of South Texas is also very pretty in its own way and you can sample it in far north San Antonio and Austin has a bit more of it on its west side. You are very far from snow sport activities down here if you like that. I have to spend a bit to get to Colorado a few times a season. In Seattle you can go every weekend if you want (In winter..not sure about spring/summer).

Though I live in San Antonio now I actually prefer Austin but then again I am a single male with no children. I also like outdoor activities; especially snowboarding which makes this area kind of a pain. Since I work in the tech sector I have actually been considering moving to the Seattle area myself. The only thing holding me back besides the house that I bought is my fear of the cost of living and being unsure how well I will tolerate the dreary winter months. I think the proximity to ski resorts will make it worth it for me though.

I do wish you good luck in making your decision but honestly, unless you are very picky about things I doubt you would go wrong with either one of these cities should you moved there.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM

157 posts, read 218,294 times
I agree with almost all of what kendsley said. I used to live in San Antonio, in the Stone Oak area. Kind of close-ish to Six flags and the U. of San Antonio.

I am also very familiar with the Issaquah/Bellevue/Kirkland area, having moved to Seattle from SA.

Like previous posters have stated, Seattle and San Antonio are two opposite places so it depends on your priorities. I would give the edge in education to the Bellevue/Kirkland area over the schools in SA. Just my opinion.

Cost of living? Edge goes to San Antonio easily. But note less pay you're likely to recieve going to SA.

Things to do? For night life, edge goes to SA. For exploration/outdoorsy things, I would give the edge to WA. Note I'd be biased here because I love hiking.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Central TX isn't nearly as humid as Houston. It's like going to Seattle and then saying you couldn't live anywhere in Washington State.
Let's be clear. To most who are accustomed to Western WA weather, Houston is simply unlivable. San Antonio, while less humid, hardly so. The heat is oppressive.

Now these folks are used to warm weather having lived in HI. I suggest that the biggest transition will be the lack of water and the "less than scenic" dusty topography that is S.A.

Just my humble opinion.

If you must go to Texas and be near S.A., move to Austin. At least that's a decent city in a pretty area anyway.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:33 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Let's be clear. To most who are accustomed to Western WA weather, Houston is simply unlivable. San Antonio, while less humid, hardly so. The heat is oppressive.

Now these folks are used to warm weather having lived in HI. I suggest that the biggest transition will be the lack of water and the "less than scenic" dusty topography that is S.A.

Just my humble opinion.

If you must go to Texas and be near S.A., move to Austin. At least that's a decent city in a pretty area anyway.
Did you read Topaz's almost three year old post (mine is almost three years old as well) She lived in Western WA for 10 years, she prefers Houston.

I am not sure why you think SA is dusty. Have you ever been there? Sure it's hot, but I've acclimated fine to the heat here and I spent 18 years in Seattle. And according to this siteModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed SA and Seattle have the same annual relative humidity. I've spent time in both SA and Houston in the summer and Houston feels much more humid than SA.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area