Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:10 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times

Advertisements

Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
No loss.

Seattle is a horrible city. The outer laying cities are much nicer, safer.

Seattle residents sure do like coming here to perform their illegal dumping, yes, thanks for that.
LMAO at biting the hand that feeds you.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
The rest of the state wonders about some of the plans as we watch the bulk of the transportation budget sucked into the Seattle area... with the Alaskan Way, Floating Bridge, numerous Ferry expenditures it is not surprising there is not enough focus to keep I-5 out of flood waters in the middle of the state.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM

43 posts, read 155,227 times
It's somewhat unfortunate that the most vocal pundits in favor of traffic reform established in this area are Republican.

I am not a Republican, but it's one of the few issues I agree with them on at the local level.

However, traffic reform being promoted by the local Republicans doesn't help the cause. Even if it's totally logical, there will be strong opposition simply because Republicans are proposing it.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripateticshutin View Post
It's somewhat unfortunate that the most vocal pundits in favor of traffic reform established in this area are Republican.

I am not a Republican, but it's one of the few issues I agree with them on at the local level.

However, traffic reform being promoted by the local Republicans doesn't help the cause. Even if it's totally logical, there will be strong opposition simply because Republicans are proposing it.
No, wrong. There is strong opposition because most of the republican proposals completely neglect public transportation. Their roads, roads and more roads proposals are DOA because most reasonable people realize that rail transit is the way of the future. Chairman Mao is not going to force you to ride the train with the rest of your comrades....it's simply about giving people choice.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 PM

43 posts, read 155,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
No, wrong. There is strong opposition because most of the republican proposals completely neglect public transportation. Their roads, roads and more roads proposals are DOA because most reasonable people realize that rail transit is the way of the future. Chairman Mao is not going to force you to ride the train with the rest of your comrades....it's simply about giving people choice.
I'm all for light rail -- I will be glad to see that happen (Beyond downtown to SeaTac). I think they project the total expansion project for light rail reaching to North Seattle and Bellevue is supposed to be completed by 2023. But, I'd not be surprised if it either takes longer or doesn't get completed.

Last edited by Peripateticshutin; 01-21-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
most reasonable people realize that rail transit is the way of the future.
Or maybe not... take a look at the poor state of roads and traffic in Portland to see what happens if you throw most of your transportation budget at light rail.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,569 times
Quote:
LMAO at biting the hand that feeds you.
Well, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Seems to me that Seattlites bit the hand that fed them when caucausians first landed at Alki. The Duwamish befriended them and look what happened- their land stolen from them.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,819 times
Quote:
Do you know the completion date for light rail? 20XX, you can guess that last two years, I'm guessing 2030.

There light route plan is terrible, just improve Amtrack for the city to city routes. Then add a real inner city light rail plan. Once you get off the current light plan trains, you are left with the terrible Metro bus system to get to your final destination, 2 hours later.

Its a bad plan. Put out a good plan, then more people would back it.

People voted for this bad plan because they thought it was the only choice.

People do not mind paying car tab taxes IF they spent it on the roads, but they do NOT.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 PM

439 posts, read 1,242,259 times
So when is this whole tunnel thing suppose to be built? I can't believe they went this option. I thought the tunnel was dead a while back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area