Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:27 AM

117 posts, read 333,485 times

Advertisements

I've seen film on tv indicating that Seattle is very bike friendly; is that true, and is it year round. People ride in the rain??

Also, photos of the university there look European -- so beautiful, the buildings are huge and gorgeous. I'm really thinking of going there, or applying there. Any input about the university, and its place in the community would be helpful.

I'm an avid bicyclist, and attended undergrad and my masters program on a bicycle. Here, bicyclists are road kill, people hate them so much!

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,577,747 times
Yes, people ride in the rain, you adapt to it. It's typically not a hard driving rain, more of a light mist, so its easier to deal with then the pouring rain you would see in the southeast, midwest, east coast, etc...Anyway, the rain stereotype is fairly accurate from November through April, but the rest of the year you are more likely to see either overcast or partly sunny/mostly sunny weather, but not as much rain.

The UW is a monolithic presence in the community, and for the most part is highly regarded by most who live here. Its one of the few major universities that is seamlessly integrated into the urban fabric of a bustling metropolis.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,866,965 times
Bicycles are very welcomed here. 99 percent of drivers give you respect and space. There are many bike lanes, bike trails and bike-friendly roads. I commute 8 months out of the year (don't ride November - February; just a bit cold and damp for my tastes). On my 12 mile ride from Seattle to Bellevue, I'm on 'bikes only' paths for 7 miles. I 'have to' ride along Lake Washington, seeing eagles and herons. Then across the lake on the I90 path where I 'have to' look at Mt. Rainier to my right, Mt. Baker to my left (on clear days of course). Mercer Island is all bike path, then up a hill in Bellevue (where cars are fairly nice) to my office. I think it has to be one of the prettiest bike commutes anywhere.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,246,543 times
Don't get the wrong idea, some do ride all year but most don't ride in bad weather. Right now the number of riders on the bike lane from Bellevue across Mercer Island into Seattle is probably 10% of what you'll see in the Summer.

The UW is good for a large public school but still has all the problems you'll find in any government bureaucracy. Dealing with the UW administrators and teachers can be maddening sometimes, my sons were glad when that part of their lives was over.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 PM

64 posts, read 248,200 times
I stopped riding in October. I started riding to the commuter train station last summer. I'll pick it back up probably in March or April. Even down here, where "it's all cows and chickens and farms", people for the most part are very bike friendly. I loved my morning bike commute 'cause Mt. Rainier just popped right out and said mornin' to me almost every day.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,654,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Yes, people ride in the rain, you adapt to it. .
This is statement is not all correct.

I was an avid bike rider, I have hardly gotten on my bike in years (and it shows)

There is a constant drizzle and low cold chill in the air, that makes riding my bike not pleasurable anymore. My hands freeze and turn pink and my face gets frozen.

I still ride in July and August, and sometimes part take in the May Ride to Work month, ut not last May as the tempuratures were still 40 degrees-ish, and it was a wet May.

I also don't ride anymore because of the hills. I don't ride my bike to be challenged by numerous roadblocks such as hills, I rode for long distances (30 miles + commute) with only slight inclines. This has really turned me off to riding, and it's a really big headache if I have my kid on a seat in the back trying to truck up a hill. No thank you.

But yes, this is a very bike friendly town, and it retro-fitted for great riding.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,511,725 times
If you get the right gear, you can cycle year around. Whether it is enjoyable or not is all dependent on how much you love to ride. But rain or shine people are out. I live right off of Lake Sammamish and I see lots of cyclists each and every day. The paths around the city are extensive and the riding just outside of Redmond and Sammamish into Fall City and Carnation is absolutely spectacular in terms of terrain and scenery. I also enjoy just hopping on the path at Marymoor Park and riding up to Kenmore and back. The fact that I could take a bike path all the way to Puget Sound from there is exciting. Seattle is very bike friendly...I used to live and ride in Austin a lot...lots of cyclists there too...but the drivers do not treat them nearly as well as they do around here.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,577,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
This is statement is not all correct.

I was an avid bike rider, I have hardly gotten on my bike in years (and it shows)

There is a constant drizzle and low cold chill in the air, that makes riding my bike not pleasurable anymore. My hands freeze and turn pink and my face gets frozen.

I still ride in July and August, and sometimes part take in the May Ride to Work month, ut not last May as the tempuratures were still 40 degrees-ish, and it was a wet May.

I also don't ride anymore because of the hills. I don't ride my bike to be challenged by numerous roadblocks such as hills, I rode for long distances (30 miles + commute) with only slight inclines. This has really turned me off to riding, and it's a really big headache if I have my kid on a seat in the back trying to truck up a hill. No thank you.

But yes, this is a very bike friendly town, and it retro-fitted for great riding.
OK CityGirl you need to start qualifying most of your posts with the huge caveat that you have pretty much the most extreme reaction to our weather that is humanly possible. I hopped on my bike last night and it was pretty dang cold, but I quickly warmed up from the exertion. Not everyone has such an extreme intolerance to the coolness (40 degrees is not that cold) and rain as you do. And by "not everyone" I mean almost no one. I mean seriously, you have admitted that you keep your thermostat at home on 80 freakin degrees. That is not normal.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 PM

117 posts, read 333,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
If you get the right gear, you can cycle year around. Whether it is enjoyable or not is all dependent on how much you love to ride. But rain or shine people are out. I live right off of Lake Sammamish and I see lots of cyclists each and every day. The paths around the city are extensive and the riding just outside of Redmond and Sammamish into Fall City and Carnation is absolutely spectacular in terms of terrain and scenery. I also enjoy just hopping on the path at Marymoor Park and riding up to Kenmore and back. The fact that I could take a bike path all the way to Puget Sound from there is exciting. Seattle is very bike friendly...I used to live and ride in Austin a lot...lots of cyclists there too...but the drivers do not treat them nearly as well as they do around here.
Well, I do have the right gear (I think); I have a long, down jacket and vest, and a rainproof backpack. Down is against my principles really, but I have one anyway.

I haven't been on a bike for a while because of the dangers around here. I like mountain bikes. Any recommendations?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,246,543 times
I'm too lazy to clean and dry my bike after every ride so I have two mountain bikes, a nice one for good weather and a thrift store one for the other days.

There are too many variables to be able to recommend a particular brand & model. There are several good bike shops around here and it shouldn't be too hard to find something you like and can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area