U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,369,077 times

Advertisements

I watched a travel series called Stephen Fry in America, and in the last part where he goes to Seattle, it was mentioned the city has a high suicide rate.

1. Is it true statistically (per capita)?
2. If so, what are the reasons?

Thanks.

Edit: I apologize. I found there's already a thread on the subject:
Is it true that Seattle has a high suicide rate?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM

1,170 posts, read 4,860,263 times
What was the consensus in the thread you found?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,804,985 times
I do not know true statistics - but I will tell you I had never been clinically depressed in my life til I lived here. And yes, I had suicidal thoughts. I sought help and feel better - but am still moving.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 AM

263 posts, read 1,006,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I do not know true statistics - but I will tell you I had never been clinically depressed in my life til I lived here. And yes, I had suicidal thoughts. I sought help and feel better - but am still moving.

Where are you moving to if you don't mind me asking?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,085,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm glad you're feeling better and hopefully your new destination will make things even brighter. But why do you say "til I lived here"? What is it about Seattle that's so depressing? I know that economy is depressing everywhere and not just in one particular region. I know that Colorado -- where I'm right now -- is one of the worst states in the nation for suicide rates regardless of economic status quo. I remember a newspaper talking about this several months ago.

Is it the weather -- the constant drizzly and sunless winter months? I remember suffering severely from the SAD syndrome when I moved from CA to Boston many years ago. The Seasonally Affected Disorder syndrome was so bad in MA that I finally had to pack things up and move to Tucson, AZ where there's constant sun. What a difference it made!! So, obviously with the prospect of moving to Seattle, this issue does come up for me... Would I have the same syndrome back in my life....?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM

263 posts, read 1,006,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I watched a travel series called Stephen Fry in America, and in the last part where he goes to Seattle, it was mentioned the city has a high suicide rate.

1. Is it true statistically (per capita)?
2. If so, what are the reasons?

Thanks.

Edit: I apologize. I found there's already a thread on the subject:
Is it true that Seattle has a high suicide rate?

A co-worker of mine that lived in Tacoma for 10+ years went on and on about this the other day saying it's the 'suicide capital of the world'. I always thought Las Vegas would hold that title! ;-) quick google search:
The Suicide Capital Of America, They Come To Las Vegas Not To Gamble But To Kill Themselves - CBS News

When I did live there I had a co-worker (native of WA)ask to be moved to the window because he gets 'really depressed in the winter'. I thought the winter was awesome, buy hey, I was only there for one winter and half of one at that.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM

1,992 posts, read 6,202,342 times
The concensus was that it is essentially an urban myth. The statistics do not bear out that Seattle has a high rate of suicide.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 AM

1,992 posts, read 6,202,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
I'm glad you're feeling better and hopefully your new destination will make things even brighter. But why do you say "til I lived here"? What is it about Seattle that's so depressing? I know that economy is depressing everywhere and not just in one particular region. I know that Colorado -- where I'm right now -- is one of the worst states in the nation for suicide rates regardless of economic status quo. I remember a newspaper talking about this several months ago.

Is it the weather -- the constant drizzly and sunless winter months? I remember suffering severely from the SAD syndrome when I moved from CA to Boston many years ago. The Seasonally Affected Disorder syndrome was so bad in MA that I finally had to pack things up and move to Tucson, AZ where there's constant sun. What a difference it made!! So, obviously with the prospect of moving to Seattle, this issue does come up for me... Would I have the same syndrome back in my life....?
If you got SAD in Boston, you would not last in Seattle.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,085,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
If you got SAD in Boston, you would not last in Seattle.
Yea, that's what I thought. For those susceptible to SAD yet tied firmly down to the Seattle area must have some sort of a solution that works for them? Perhaps a bunch of light panels that are made for folks with SAD. I know I've seen these somewhere....

From my experience, too, being married and having very happy kids did make a huge difference. When I was suffering from SAD in Boston, I was a lonely bachelor. I don't have any pets except aquarium fish, but I heard that having dogs and cats does make a difference, too. So there's some degree of dealing with long, cloudy and drizzly season. The question is how effective the solutions are. That -- I wouldn't know until having lived there for awhile.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:05 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,804,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
From my experience, too, being married and having very happy kids did make a huge difference. When I was suffering from SAD in Boston, I was a lonely bachelor.
I'm from California born & raised. I'm moving back to California, no matter the cost.

And yes, I was diagnosed with S.A.D. - they put me on 5HTP, vitman D supplements and light therapy

PS: I'm married with kids, and I love my family with my whole soul....but I loved being single and a bachlorette better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area