Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 15,016 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I really like Seattle and have been there for a few months last year and enjoyed myself. I understand the job market is bad in every part of the world, so I am not pushing to find a job overseas and am happy working in Singapore.

However, I would like to work in Seattle eventually. Can anyone link me to companies in Seattle who have given out visas in the past? My highest qualification is only a diploma, so I wouldn't mind getting less pay and a small time position. Even if there are no companies willing to sponsor at the moment, I do hope they consider me in their future openings, even for contract jobs for me as well. Or are there any recruit agencies that deal with helping non locals find a job?

I have a diploma in Information Technology, so anything web related is my cup of tea. I do hope someone can help me or point me to the right places. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
autumnstar15, I would definitely look fast. The new administration is likely going to limit or place restrictions on the number of H1B visas given to foreign workers, especially when companies like Microsoft are laying off people. The argument is, why hire foreign workers when there are equally trained American workers facing the axe?

To answer your question though, I'm sure there are areas in Singapore where agencies will try to hook you up with a job? Also, why leave Singapore? Seattle by comparison is dirty, cost of living high, inept government, cloudy 7 months out of the year, traffic is totally out of whack, locals and most transplants have no idea how to handle any type of weather worse than total sunshine, and has by comparison poor public transit.

No sir. How about you hook me up with a job in Aerospace in Singapore?

Old 02-07-2009, 12:54 AM

H1B isn't applicable to diploma holders right? It's only for degree I suppose? I only have about 2 and a half years of experience working in IT. I am looking more for J-1 actually. I was lol-ing at your comment about the weather. I wouldn't mind trying it since I am young but maybe I will eventually settle in Singapore.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:16 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

Activities covered by the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa programs include:
  • Au-pair and nanny
  • Summer camp counselors and staff
  • Post-graduate students
  • Government visitors
  • Medical students coming to the United States as residents or interns
  • Foreign scholars sponsored by universities as temporary faculty
  • Business and Industrial trainees
  • Activities that are part of an exchange program approved by the U.S. Department of State
This doesn't actually look at all like a visa that sponsors foreign workers, particularly IT. Looks more like an scholar/academic type exchange.

And right now living in Singapore may be a better bet than the US anyway.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Emigrating to the USA isn't all peaches and cream. The H1B restrictions are definitely getting tighter and they apply to everyone - from uneducated to highly trained.

Also you might want to consider staying in Singapore for the time being, at least until the economy revives. If you get contracted to do web development for an American firm and t hey pay you in USD, then that's awesome for you if you are still in Singapore.

In the meantime, build up a portfolio, make some show off websites (even if there isn't any real content) and bolster your resume. There's LOTS of well qualified web development firms and individuals here in the USA ... your competition will be stiff.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 AM

60 posts, read 406,657 times
I am Singaporean, born and bred. Were it not for Singapore's terribly-demanding education system, I would never have left Singapore. I'm married to an American and so when it was time for our son to start school, naturally, we decided to move to the States so he would at least have an enjoyable childhood.

Seattle is good for the experience but you will sorely miss Singapore's fantastic food (which doesn't cost an arm and a leg) and her warm, down-to-earth people. People here hold back a lot/are much more reserved. If you're prepared for that, then it's worth a shot.

The place is beautiful though and the milder winters here mean tropical folk like us don't really suffer during the colder seasons. I also find Americans in general a lot more polite and well-bred than Singaporeans, which is something I would absolutely miss were we to ever move back to Singapore (after son has finished school here)...we're still undecided on that for now, though I have fallen in love with many things in America since I arrived here more than a year ago.

The long and short of it all...they are both wonderful places which I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life in (if my Singapore family were here too, Seattle would win hands down).

Old 03-23-2009, 01:25 AM

60 posts, read 406,657 times
Ooops! Just realised I wasn't even answering your question! I do apologise for veering sooo much off topic! I just got excited when I saw a post from a fellow Singaporean and merrily typed my own reply.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 AM

msservos, that's ok! I guess now you know, my main aim is more of finding something there. I not pushing for it right now though, so I'm just working in SG now. I wish there was an easier way sometimes but I'll most probably just try and study in Seattle and hopefully after another 4-5 years it will be easier to get a job and settle down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: