Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 PM

13 posts, read 91,529 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Charlotte, NC and I have a choice between Portland and Seattle. I am single , 31, male.
Is there much of a difference between these two places with regards to the weather and social life and recreational activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,627 posts, read 57,639,315 times
Weather VERY similar ~ 250 days of overcast, most with drizzle. 100 days straight of sunshine July 5 - Sept. +/-. Nice long and cool summer nights (daylight till ~10pm)

Seattle - really urban, very spread out, lots of options for 'single life', many smaller eclectic districts and miles of suburbia, plenty of hills throughout town + a seagoing waterfront with piers. Inland waters (no waves) Sailing, sea kayaking, but you need to drive to recreation, and it may be crowded. A city with a pretty landscape and horizon. No state income tax but hefty sales tax. commute can be 1 hr + within metro area. (Commute is murder). Miles and miles of suburbia. Do be aware of the 'Seattle Freeze' (cold to relationships) Your mileage may vary; probably a 2 if Charlotte is an 8. People or more "business", but casual business, not like the SE or East coast (few neckties, fewer suits). Intellect and medical careers are highly valued. People are into 'class', and they are classier.

Seattle = Coffee, & specialty foods. everyone (and I mean EVERYONE walks around squeezing a cardboard cup, like their hands are frozen or something, there are 6 deep coffee lines on every corner)

Portland = Microbrews, & granola; MOST folks spend times frequenting different pubs, non-drinkers may be likely to do tea, tho there are plenty of coffee shops for transplants.
Much more laid back, and much smaller metro area (~1/2 hr max commute in metro area), better mass transit. A few areas of eclectic inner town areas. Waterfront is a BIG river, but not a significant port, the freight is offloaded away from city, and no fishing fleet. Lots of hiking / mtn biking within the city (Largest urban nature preserve). Very pretty setting, not so spectacular horizon, tho Mt Hood is nice for sunrise and sunset. Very nice and plentiful parks. Entertainment and culture adequate. Lots of local universities. Local recreation include Columbia Gorge 20 minutes east (Hiking windsurfing white water, photography). Mt Hood, 1 hr east 'downhill skiing', Mt Adams or Mt St Helens 1.5hrs NE 'crosscountry skiing', very picturesque beach 1 hr west (WAVES / cliffs). People are NOT into class and can be friendly, probably a 4 if Charlotte is an 8. (remember the WHOLE left coast is pretty independent and less than 5% churched, unlike NC (no potlucks or neighborhood picnics, or going to someone house unannounced or uninvited! ~ pretty weird that way)). High class is Birkenstocks and wool socks (it's been rumored the Portland 'babe' index is REALLY low, unless you like yours 'natural') your mileage WILL vary. You need to know where to shop , but generally I would say it will be significantly less appealing if you are in the Babe market (I don't shop for babes,,,). Seattle can be reached via train or car in 3 hrs or $80 flight if you need to find a babe, (tho there should be some closer, it is often cheaper to keep them further away) I personally would keep a SE USA babe if you have that option. (Or a ND farm gal) Boise has a better babe selection that Seattle (unfriendly) or Portland (un-spectacular).
One of the best things about Portland, is most stuff is within 15 min, including the GREAT airport (which is handy after 100 days of drizzle... Sacramento / Reno $49, or San Fran $89(one way))
No Sales tax in Portland, BUT 9% income tax or... you can live in Vancouver, WA (15 min north) and no income tax, as long as you work in WA. If you Work OR live in Oregon you WILL pay income tax. Cost of living probably lower than Seattle, especially housing.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 AM

37 posts, read 136,052 times
Great post there.

I looked at both Seattle and Portland with brief visits.

In the end, I prefer Seattle as it has a bigger city feel. Plus, Seattle women are definitely more attractive than Portland women. That's important for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Weather VERY similar ~ 250 days of overcast, most with drizzle. 100 days straight of sunshine July 5 - Sept. +/-. Nice long and cool summer nights (daylight till ~10pm)

Seattle - really urban, very spread out, lots of options for 'single life', many smaller eclectic districts and miles of suburbia, plenty of hills throughout town + a seagoing waterfront with piers. Inland waters (no waves) Sailing, sea kayaking, but you need to drive to recreation, and it may be crowded. A city with a pretty landscape and horizon. No state income tax but hefty sales tax. commute can be 1 hr + within metro area. (Commute is murder). Miles and miles of suburbia. Do be aware of the 'Seattle Freeze' (cold to relationships) Your mileage may vary; probably a 2 if Charlotte is an 8. People or more "business", but casual business, not like the SE or East coast (few neckties, fewer suits). Intellect and medical careers are highly valued. People are into 'class', and they are classier.

Seattle = Coffee, & specialty foods. everyone (and I mean EVERYONE walks around squeezing a cardboard cup, like their hands are frozen or something, there are 6 deep coffee lines on every corner)

Portland = Microbrews, & granola; MOST folks spend times frequenting different pubs, non-drinkers may be likely to do tea, tho there are plenty of coffee shops for transplants.
Much more laid back, and much smaller metro area (~1/2 hr max commute in metro area), better mass transit. A few areas of eclectic inner town areas. Waterfront is a BIG river, but not a significant port, the freight is offloaded away from city, and no fishing fleet. Lots of hiking / mtn biking within the city (Largest urban nature preserve). Very pretty setting, not so spectacular horizon, tho Mt Hood is nice for sunrise and sunset. Very nice and plentiful parks. Entertainment and culture adequate. Lots of local universities. Local recreation include Columbia Gorge 20 minutes east (Hiking windsurfing white water, photography). Mt Hood, 1 hr east 'downhill skiing', Mt Adams or Mt St Helens 1.5hrs NE 'crosscountry skiing', very picturesque beach 1 hr west (WAVES / cliffs). People are NOT into class and can be friendly, probably a 4 if Charlotte is an 8. (remember the WHOLE left coast is pretty independent and less than 5% churched, unlike NC (no potlucks or neighborhood picnics, or going to someone house unannounced or uninvited! ~ pretty weird that way)). High class is Birkenstocks and wool socks (it's been rumored the Portland 'babe' index is REALLY low, unless you like yours 'natural') your mileage WILL vary. You need to know where to shop , but generally I would say it will be significantly less appealing if you are in the Babe market (I don't shop for babes,,,). Seattle can be reached via train or car in 3 hrs or $80 flight if you need to find a babe, (tho there should be some closer, it is often cheaper to keep them further away) I personally would keep a SE USA babe if you have that option. (Or a ND farm gal) Boise has a better babe selection that Seattle (unfriendly) or Portland (un-spectacular).
One of the best things about Portland, is most stuff is within 15 min, including the GREAT airport (which is handy after 100 days of drizzle... Sacramento / Reno $49, or San Fran $89(one way))
No Sales tax in Portland, BUT 9% income tax or... you can live in Vancouver, WA (15 min north) and no income tax, as long as you work in WA. If you Work OR live in Oregon you WILL pay income tax. Cost of living probably lower than Seattle, especially housing.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 AM

13 posts, read 91,529 times
Thanks janb, for that very informative reply!

I just read that Seattle freeze article and it sounds a lot like southern hospitality!

I've been to Portland once and I found people to be way friendlier than Charlotte. Besides, I am liberal and don't often share viewpoints with people here. I haven't been to Seattle yet.

I think by virtue of being bigger, I think Seattle would be a better choice for me ( More babes!)

I know that traffic is worse in the metro area, but do they have neighborhoods in Seattle that are convenient in that they are in 30 min driving distance to downtown, have gym nearby, shopping, etc.(like they do over here)?

Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 AM

918 posts, read 1,690,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivac20 View Post
Thanks janb, for that very informative reply!

I just read that Seattle freeze article and it sounds a lot like southern hospitality!

I've been to Portland once and I found people to be way friendlier than Charlotte. Besides, I am liberal and don't often share viewpoints with people here. I haven't been to Seattle yet.

I think by virtue of being bigger, I think Seattle would be a better choice for me ( More babes!)

I know that traffic is worse in the metro area, but do they have neighborhoods in Seattle that are convenient in that they are in 30 min driving distance to downtown, have gym nearby, shopping, etc.(like they do over here)?
If you do what I did when I moved here, you'll never have to worry about traffic. I wok in downtown and live in a neighborhood that's walking distance right outside downtown. So the answer to your question is yes, they do have a lot of livable neighborhoods here very close to downtown - and either a walk or a short bus ride will get you to everywhere you need to be. I still keep a car, but it's mostly for the weekends

Old 01-30-2009, 09:42 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,693,191 times
don't move to ocean shores in washington state unless u like cold and foggy weather my uncle has lived in at least 7 diferent places in washinton state .he now resides in ritchland that would be south east washington over the cascades. he likes it a lot better there no fog a lot of rolling hills its close to the scablands and the columbia river and is within a 80 mille drive to mount rainier mout st helens hood adamsso if u like mountains that would be a good spot to live plus if u want to drive to origon u would be closer to the boarder. google it up

Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,583,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
(no potlucks or neighborhood picnics, or going to someone house unannounced or uninvited! ~ pretty weird that way))
Having not lived in the southern U.S., is it considered normal there to just show up at someone's house without at least calling ahead of time? That seems bizarre to me. What if you get there and no one is home?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:56 PM

252 posts, read 957,797 times

Seattle is probably a bit grayer and gets a bit more rain than Portland, being right on the water. Portland is about 5-10 degrees warmer in the summer and has fewer cloudy summer days. Still, they're roughly the same climates.

Seattle is definitely a bit more urban than Portland (though "really urban" is probably a stretch; Seattle proper has fewer than 600,000 residents). People in Seattle do tend to be more economically ambitious than Portlanders, though there are lots of professionals and hipster barristas alike in both places.

Seattle = Coffee, & specialty foods. everyone (and I mean EVERYONE walks around squeezing a cardboard cup, like their hands are frozen or something, there are 6 deep coffee lines on every corner)Portland = Microbrews, & granola; MOST folks spend times frequenting different pubs, non-drinkers may be likely to do tea, tho there are plenty of coffee shops for transplants.

I think this distinction is overblown. Portland is home to the premiere coffee roaster on the west coast (Stumptown), and the coffee scene is huge in Portland. Obviously Starbucks is based in Seattle, but most people who are really into coffee don't drink Starbucks anyway. Likewise there are plenty of good microbrew and tea options in Seattle. Portland's restaurant scene is really hot right now and has a lot of interesting new places opening all the time (well beyond granola). Both Oregon and Washington have good wineries as well, though Oregon's wine country is closer to Portland, while Washington's is quite far east of the Cascades. Pinot noir (OR) v. cabernet sauvignon (WA).

Much more laid back, and much smaller metro area (~1/2 hr max commute in metro area), better mass transit. A few areas of eclectic inner town areas. Waterfront is a BIG river, but not a significant port, the freight is offloaded away from city, and no fishing fleet. Lots of hiking / mtn biking within the city (Largest urban nature preserve). Very pretty setting, not so spectacular horizon, tho Mt Hood is nice for sunrise and sunset. Very nice and plentiful parks. Entertainment and culture adequate. Lots of local universities. Local recreation include Columbia Gorge 20 minutes east (Hiking windsurfing white water, photography). Mt Hood, 1 hr east 'downhill skiing', Mt Adams or Mt St Helens 1.5hrs NE 'crosscountry skiing', very picturesque beach 1 hr west (WAVES / cliffs). People are NOT into class and can be friendly, probably a 4 if Charlotte is an 8. (remember the WHOLE left coast is pretty independent and less than 5% churched, unlike NC (no potlucks or neighborhood picnics, or going to someone house unannounced or uninvited! ~ pretty weird that way)).

1/2 hour maximum commute in Portland is sadly no longer true, though it's still better than Seattle. If you live in central Portland, it's very easy to get by without a car, because it's compact and the mass transit is solid. Both cities are quite liberal and secular, the suburbs less so (but still more than NC).

High class is Birkenstocks and wool socks (it's been rumored the Portland 'babe' index is REALLY low, unless you like yours 'natural') your mileage WILL vary. You need to know where to shop , but generally I would say it will be significantly less appealing if you are in the Babe market (I don't shop for babes,,,).

I think Portlanders and Seattleites are equally frumpy in their dress. People in both cities often dress as though they are about to go hiking, when they are not in fact about to go hiking. It's an aspirational thing or something, but it's not the best look. The main rival look to REI-chic in both places is more of a hipster look. Lots of good live music and local bands in both places.

Anyway, definitely visit both places and see what you think.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,022,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Seattle - really urban, very spread out, lots of options for 'single life', many smaller eclectic districts and miles of suburbia, plenty of hills throughout town + a seagoing waterfront with piers. Inland waters (no waves) Sailing, sea kayaking, but you need to drive to recreation, and it may be crowded. A city with a pretty landscape and horizon. No state income tax but hefty sales tax. commute can be 1 hr + within metro area. (Commute is murder). Miles and miles of suburbia.
The miles and miles of suburbia is interesting, as I hear so many mixed messages. But looking at google maps, it certainly looks like that, and driving on I-5 which seems to go on forever, certainly adds to that.

My last time in Portland, I drove up to Aloha, which certainly gave me that miles and miles of suburbia feel as well though.

I am a bit curious to hear more about the suburbia element of both cities...

Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,583,753 times
The suburbs of Seattle are considerably more affluent and are more extensive. Both cities have growth boundaries in effect, but King County enacted the GMA (growth management act) after significant sprawl was already a problem (however its not comparable to sprawl like you would find in the southwest and southeast). Portland is not immune to sprawl either (see: Vancouver, WA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area