U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 23,909 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Seattle. I moved to Tampa and lived there for about 2-3 years. I recently came back to Seattle.

Tampa is supposed to be this big bad city. I've been everywhere in Tampa and everywhere in the Tampa suburbs. The amount of crime there I saw I found VERY comfortable. I never feared for my safety anywhere in Tampa. I've never even seen so much as a fight in Tampa.

I come back to Seattle. Within the last 2 weeks I have seen 2 dead bodies laying in the street from shootings. If I had left my house 5 minutes earlier I would have been caught in the actual gunfire. The week before that I was almost stabbed by 4-5 Blood gang bangers. Earlier that same week I was once again almost jumped by 3 Blood bangers. I could not count on my hands and toes how many shootings I have heard or seen in my time here in Seattle. The recap of my dangerous encounters in Seattle and Renton is endless.

So why is Seattle considered to be such a safe place? Through my experience of meeting people from Washington DC, Brooklyn, and The Bronx all of those cities are also very safe. I've also been to all the "bad" parts of Orlando and Miami...

Someone want to clear this up...? Is the police department hiding something? Do people over here just not call the police?

Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,278,013 times
I checked some 2007 stats, and when it comes to violent crime, Tampa's rate is significantly higher than Seattle's. In fact, Seattle is one of the safest large cities for violent crime. Property crime is roughly equal.

Like most cities, Seattle has safe and less safe areas.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:15 PM

23 posts, read 71,601 times
Most Seattle violent crime is in the bottom (south) side of the city. That's just how it is.

The other possibility is that crime stats have been updated much or maybe a lot of violent crime is not reported... Without a doubt it's getting worse.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 PM

236 posts, read 542,641 times
It would have been interesting what the crime stats were for the first half of 2008 in Seattle but Seattle failed to turn in the stats to the FBI . I know Bellevue's violent crime was up 40% (although still pretty low but still a big jump) for the first half of 2008.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,723,760 times
Where in Seattle are you hanging out/living to encounter this behavior on such a regular basis?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 PM

808 posts, read 1,381,078 times
I smell B.S.

Ive lived downtown for 2 1/2 years and never seen/heard a gunshot.

Well...except when that guy got shot in the butt on 3rd and Pine. haha

Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 23,909 times
^yeah, you're not going to see any crime on 3rd and Pine...that's a really busy area, there would be nowhere for a criminal to run/hide.

I used to live in Renton, Tukwila, Skyway...

Rainier Avenue...now that I moved I live on California Avenue.

Also, try going up to Capitol Hill around midnight, up in the 20 streets, you will not want to get out of your car.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 33,379 times
Smile Maybe you're looking for trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1122t35 View Post
So why is Seattle considered to be such a safe place? Through my experience of meeting people from Washington DC, Brooklyn, and The Bronx all of those cities are also very safe. I've also been to all the "bad" parts of Orlando and Miami...

Someone want to clear this up...? Is the police department hiding something? Do people over here just not call the police?
I find it sad that you have experienced this. I think the generalizing that all of Seattle is dangerous. I have lived here all my life and well... I've never had an issue. I'm sure if you talk around, you'll find many people who Love it here and don't have issues.

I think times have changed a bit, but if you are smart you can keep yourself very safe in the Seattle area. There are some areas you don't go after dark, unless you are looking for trouble. I believe the police department is overwhelmed and with the economy being what it is everywhere, people losing their jobs and homes, the anxiousness is higher. People don't fight with fists anymore and this isn't just in Seattle. It's everywhere. I think you should try coming south of Seattle.

Maybe you are "looking" for trouble when you are out and about?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,652,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1122t35 View Post
Through my experience of meeting people from Washington DC, Brooklyn, and The Bronx all of those cities are also very safe.
Brooklyn and Bronx VERY safe? Rivers of blood flowing on Seattle's streets? Bodies lying on the streets, because the police and the local government are busy fighting crime? I probably haven't read and watched news for ages!

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 02-06-2009 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-06-2009, 06:05 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,723,760 times
I've lived in the Rainier Valley for 25 years and never witnessed one act of violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area