U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM

42 posts, read 114,053 times

Advertisements

King County has the largest amount of a Jews in the state, but I'm just wondering if there really is a lot. I'm Jewish, and I don't have a problem with being around other people with different religions, but I don't want to be the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,348,650 times
I don't believe so. Found some info on-line there is about 40,000, out of a city population of 600,000. Most live in the northend.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,346,451 times
There are some areas with a high percentage of Jewish people. Mercer Island used to have around 20% but that may have changed.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,552,811 times
We don't have a large Jewish community in just one place. There's no Orchard St. or Upper East Side here. We do have a comparatively large percentage of population living on Mercer Island. We also have disaspora in Kirkland, Bellevue, Renton, Beacon Hill (a neighborhood of Seattle), most of the islands, and just about everywhere else in western Washington. We're very scattered. If I were looking for the highest concentration by population, I'd Google Jewish temples in ______ (fill in city name) and make a list. My hunch is that Mercer Island would top the list.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM

8,327 posts, read 14,840,373 times
My best guess is that Jews in the Seattle area are mostly found on Mercer Island, Seward Park, Ravenna and Bellevue. Lenny Bruce had a joke about Jews and locations, something to the effect of " A Jew from Montana isn't really a Jew, but a Puerto Rican form New York is a Jew."
The Seattle area doesn't have a Jewish flavor, and good pastrami and good bagels are hard to find, but Jews are out there. I think there are about 10 synagogues in the Seattle area, and they range from Orthodox to Modern orthodox to Hasidic to Conservative to Reform to Jewish Renewal to a Gay and Lesbian temple.
I grew up in New Jersey, where my fellow Jews tend to be loud. In Seattle they're mellower and maybe a little paler from the lack of sunshine.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,552,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I grew up in New Jersey, where my fellow Jews tend to be loud. In Seattle they're mellower and maybe a little paler from the lack of sunshine.
I grew up in New York City, where my fellow Jews tended to be very loud. In the Seattle area they're mellower and gentler and sweeter, yes sweeter. Every bit as argumentative and discussion-loving and just plain talkative, but always to a point. Talking makes the heart grow fonder...

Paler... everyone's paler here already!!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 PM

46 posts, read 165,322 times
There is definitely a Jewish presence in King County! I know many Jews in Seward Park, Mercer Island and Bellevue. Mercer Island is known locally as being home to a lot of Jews, I've heard at least a quarter of the population is Jewish, but that sort of information can be hard to find. There's a Jewish high school there too. Bellevue has a lot of Jews, there's a couple temples and the Jewish day school. I'm from Bellevue and I would say about a quarter of the white folks I went to school with were Jewish. The Jews in Western Washington are probably not as "diverse" as the ones you may encounter on the East Coast, like some other posters said they are "mellower", definitely "paler" and given the neighborhoods they live in in large numbers, wealthier too. I would also say there is something very "northwest" about their overall attitudes too, maybe that's justme. Some of the coolest people I meet are Jews, there a great part of our demographics here.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 23,752 times
I moved to Olympia WA with husband and children. I am an east coast Jewish woman. There are very few Jews in Olympia. We are looking to find housing in Seattle to be with other people who are Jewish and other ethnicities. I consider myself to be a 'cultural Jewish person and not religious. Olympia is stifling and I find it overtly anti-semetic. We have been here almost 3 years and after getting back from the east coast I am determined to get out of here! I also need info on good public schools ( middle and high school).

Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 23,752 times
Great info! Has anyone had the experience in Olympia that I am talking about? We have no whole foodsmand our co-op decided 3 weeks after someone wrote "Die Jew" in spray paintbat at a very small Temple to ban all products from Isreal. that is only one of the issues. My daughter has 800 kids in her middle school and not one Jewish kid in her grade. Events are held on Yom Kippur! And the drivers......I know, that is just the Northwest. And, where is the sense of humor? None. I offend people by mistake and I feel like an alien! What is considered North Seattle? I will definitely look in Mercer Island. My husband works 4 days in Lacey and will commute some time and get a small studio here. Is traffic bad on Mercer Island? BTW, thank you all so much already!!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 AM

8,327 posts, read 14,840,373 times
Amybloom4,
Traffic isn't too bad on Mercer Island, it's only a ten minute drive to Bellevue or Seattle. It just happens to be an expensive area. It does have a Jewish presence, and used to have the nickname " Moishe Island".
But you might be happier in those neighborhoods in North Seattle that have Jews, like Ravenna, Wedgwood, etc. NE 65th St in Ravenna has a Judaica shop and a bagel bakery, Wedgwood has a Reform and a Conservative temple.
Mercer Island has great schools, Wedgwood/Ravenna have very good schools but are part of the Seattle school district, which, in general, isn't so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area