Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Washington: Seattle, apartment rental, vegetarian food, safe area, cross country moving.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM

854 posts, read 4,140,829 times

Advertisements

WHOA! Allforcats is being down-to-earth and practical. Seriously, you NEED to listen to that advice. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM

187 posts, read 576,750 times
Sounds like you might want to look into the Ballard neighborhood. As close to Market St. and Ballard Ave. as possible would suit you well by your "wants" and "don't wants."

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago.to.seattle View Post
Hello all, been lurking on and off this board lately, and decided to sign up as I am starting to ramp up my long time dream of moving out there (yes, I'm another one of those guys). I'm planning on moving out this summer-ish, and had a few questions for the local experts.

I'd like to know if anyone could give me advice on when/how to get in there from the midwest. I have a few routes compared, but have no data on the mountain/weather part.

Coming from Chicago, what's the easiest route though the mountains? Are there months/paths to take there that are snow+ice free? I can't imagine I'd do well at all if driving a small moving truck up and down mountains with snow on the road. ^_^

Looking for apartments now, 600-800 sq feet studio or one bedroom is all I need. Where's a cool area to live? I'm thinking I'd like to live in a high rise apt downtown if I can afford it at that time, but I'd be cool with a place that has an artistic vibe/scene.

Happy:
Veggie restaurants and farmers markets close by
Cool vibe/stores, low to no chain stores
Lots of stuff to see and shop/live withing walking distance
Hustle and bustle on the street
Anything from the Fremont Troll to Modern Architecture
Coffee shops

Sad:
Having to worry about my safety walking by myself at day/night
Having my car/apt broke into
Suburbia, College Bars with Frat/Sorority scene (those kids are cool, just not my scene)

Thank so much for your time and help! Drinks for your kind assistance when I get there!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM

187 posts, read 576,750 times
Not true. Many of the newer high-rise condos/apartments have 24 hour doorman/concierge service. And as far as price, not even close. You can get into a downtown highrise apartment starting at about 1700'ish - obviously depending on the building. But at that price, don't expect a lot of SF or a high numbered floor. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
High rise downtown? Water view? Doorman? This is not midtown Manhattan, so there are no doormen. For all the rest, I'd recommend planning on $2,500-$3,000 or more rent per month. Plus, of course, monthly charge of a couple of hundred $ or more for parking for your vehicle. So you might want to get more practical about downtown Seattle.

As far as elevators are concerned, generally buildings of at least 3, sometimes 4, floors in the industrialized world have elevators, so you'll get that.

I do not recommend Belltown if you are a woman and young and alone. There is a drug treatment center there and the patients wander around Belltown day and night. Belltown is just at the edge of downtown, and there's no place to do any shopping including groceries.

Queen Anne. Fremont. Ballard. Capitol Hill. First Hill. All those neighborhoods have loads of high-rise to quite-high-rise apartment buildings with the possibility of various views and with resources such as supermarkets, cafes, drug stores, banks, book stores, gyms, trails, etc.

Street musicians are cute, but they play at only a few times of the year, and they certainly wouldn't make up for all the time you'd have to spend schlepping to a real neighborhood for real stores, and then schlepping home the things you buy. I strongly recommend that you consider practicalities blended with imagination.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
Not true. Many of the newer high-rise condos/apartments have 24 hour doorman/concierge service. And as far as price, not even close. You can get into a downtown highrise apartment starting at about 1700'ish - obviously depending on the building. But at that price, don't expect a lot of SF or a high numbered floor. ;-)
Oh too true, I've found quite a few options in the 1400-1800 range just like this downtown with a doorman and all that. Although for what I'm looking for which that is slightly atypical...I'd only need 500-600sq feet or so in a place like that to be happy (maybe 700 or 800 in a lowrise out of downtown). I'm pretty minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
High rise downtown? Water view? Doorman? This is not midtown Manhattan, so there are no doormen. For all the rest, I'd recommend planning on $2,500-$3,000 or more rent per month. Plus, of course, monthly charge of a couple of hundred $ or more for parking for your vehicle. So you might want to get more practical about downtown Seattle.

As far as elevators are concerned, generally buildings of at least 3, sometimes 4, floors in the industrialized world have elevators, so you'll get that.

I do not recommend Belltown if you are a woman and young and alone. There is a drug treatment center there and the patients wander around Belltown day and night. Belltown is just at the edge of downtown, and there's no place to do any shopping including groceries.

Queen Anne. Fremont. Ballard. Capitol Hill. First Hill. All those neighborhoods have loads of high-rise to quite-high-rise apartment buildings with the possibility of various views and with resources such as supermarkets, cafes, drug stores, banks, book stores, gyms, trails, etc.

Street musicians are cute, but they play at only a few times of the year, and they certainly wouldn't make up for all the time you'd have to spend schlepping to a real neighborhood for real stores, and then schlepping home the things you buy. I strongly recommend that you consider practicalities blended with imagination.
Whoa, I'm not nutty on this, there are definitely doorman, rooftop gardens, and all that jazz.....for much cheaper too if you are on your own. I'll agree though on the price if I had family or tons of stuff and needed something 1 or 2 bedroom....boy those are pricey, that' would be 36k a year in rent at 3k! eeeeeek!

I didn't know your area had elevators on your three story buildings! We are a bit industrialized in Chicago, but even a lot of the expensive apts and condos still have you walk up three flights (with 12' ceilings on all floors). The tenants in my friends buildings, and me in my building...we get plenty of stair climbing exercise every day. I must say I will TOTALLY love getting an elevator if I'm forced to find something 3/4 stories or less. That is wonderful news.

I'm really digging the news that Fremont/Ballard have some high rises. I haven't come across those yet, but I'll have to start that search now. It seems like those two areas are where I'd feel most comfortable after reading all the info you, Heiwos, and a couple others wrote about. I want something vibrant, artistic, and interesting....and downtown sounds like it is clearly not. Plus, it sounds just too dangerous at night around Pikes Market where I was thinking of going....wild story Heiwos.

Thanks you so much everyone! Seriously, I've gone from looking downtown to looking at only Fremont or Ballard, and feel I've become as acquainted as I can get on a forum. Time to get to the next step and get out there in person.

If anyone is thirsty, drinks are on me when I settle in! ^_^

Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,846 times
Oh yeah, chicago.to.seattle, I forgot to mention that Frasier's view was taken a couple blocks from where I lived on Queen Anne, around Kerry Park.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 PM

129 posts, read 494,019 times
what about wallingford?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago.to.seattle View Post
Oh too true, I've found quite a few options in the 1400-1800 range just like this downtown with a doorman and all that. Although for what I'm looking for which that is slightly atypical...I'd only need 500-600sq feet or so in a place like that to be happy (maybe 700 or 800 in a lowrise out of downtown). I'm pretty minimal.

Whoa, I'm not nutty on this, there are definitely doorman, rooftop gardens, and all that jazz.....for much cheaper too if you are on your own. I'll agree though on the price if I had family or tons of stuff and needed something 1 or 2 bedroom....boy those are pricey, that' would be 36k a year in rent at 3k! eeeeeek!

I didn't know your area had elevators on your three story buildings! We are a bit industrialized in Chicago, but even a lot of the expensive apts and condos still have you walk up three flights (with 12' ceilings on all floors). The tenants in my friends buildings, and me in my building...we get plenty of stair climbing exercise every day. I must say I will TOTALLY love getting an elevator if I'm forced to find something 3/4 stories or less. That is wonderful news.

I'm really digging the news that Fremont/Ballard have some high rises. I haven't come across those yet, but I'll have to start that search now. It seems like those two areas are where I'd feel most comfortable after reading all the info you, Heiwos, and a couple others wrote about. I want something vibrant, artistic, and interesting....and downtown sounds like it is clearly not. Plus, it sounds just too dangerous at night around Pikes Market where I was thinking of going....wild story Heiwos.

Thanks you so much everyone! Seriously, I've gone from looking downtown to looking at only Fremont or Ballard, and feel I've become as acquainted as I can get on a forum. Time to get to the next step and get out there in person.

If anyone is thirsty, drinks are on me when I settle in! ^_^
I wouldn't say Fremont and Ballard have highrises....mid-rises at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area