Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times

Advertisements

I agree with the PP poster - that it DOES depend on what kind of weather you enjoy

I too moved here from Sacramento - but I LOVED the heat all year long, so I've very uncomfortable here in Seattle. Unless it's over 70 degrees I really feel like I'm holed up in my house.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,468 times
Default raised in WA lives in the east misses the rain

I know that it is difficult for many people who were not raised on the Western side of WA state to deal with the cloudy days. For those who were raised there, i miss it. I live on the East coast and yes we get rain, snow, sun and such but I miss the rain. I miss the drizzle, the spitting, the mist, the grey glorious days. I was still outside on those days walking around Lake WA. or taking the kids to Woodland Park Zoo. The sunny days when they came they were amazing. You appreciated them. Now I live in an environment where I have bugs in the late spring till fall. Humidity that does not come in the form of rain. And yes sunshine in the winter with bitter cold temps. But no traffic problems, a decent wage and housing prices that aren't off the charts. Good luck in your decision. I will say you can't beat summers out there. Of course they don't start till after the 4th of July.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 AM

6 posts, read 22,213 times
These posts are so helpful. I understand what "Embraer" is saying. St. Louis is very much like Dallas regarding whether. The summers are unbearable and the winters are unpredictable. The idea that Seattle has 70 degree whether in the summer sounds like heaven. Personally, I love rainy, misty days. Whenever we have a downpour of rain in St. Louis, we run the risk of flooding and power outages. The summers are so hot that going to pick up groceries is a dreaded task. You can have an air conditioned car when you arrive to get gas; by the time you pay and pump, your car is already 90 degrees on the inside, and you might have been away from your car for less than five minutes. For me, damp whether would be a much welcomed relief. Sure, we have all the seasons, but if you blink, you'll miss spring and fall. Thanks for the great posts.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Love the slight overcast in Seattle. The rain is just a plus. I always found it Ironic that end of July into August the city will at times put in water restrictions, Due to drought. But the weather is one of the best parts of Seattle. For people like me who can't stay in the bright sunlight without it bothering our eye's Seattle is a Good place to go. I used to go to P.P.M. when it poured. Otherwise I would just hangout. And go to The Dog House for Lunch.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:41 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I do not miss D.C.'s summers of oppressive swampy heat, humidity and bugs, nor do I miss the cold winters. That is why I love Seattle. Not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter with plenty of green year around.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Well today was the clincher. After getting massive flooding here in NJ the sun is out and its actually HOT!!After months of winter its nice. But it is too warm. Sorry to sound like a cry baby but Im ready for Seattle weather. Its nice, everyone is out walking (which is rare for Jersey) motocyles everywhere but it only means HHH days arent far away! (Hazy, Hot, & Humid)

Old 04-21-2007, 02:43 PM

9 posts, read 27,569 times
I know what you mean, Willys. Here in Texas, last weekend it was really windy, rainy, and the highs were in the 50s. I loved it (not so much the wind)...my dad and I went camping. This weekend, it's just hot and humid and I think it's going to be that way for months now. I expect to be tackled by mosquitoes in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to Seattle!

Old 04-21-2007, 03:16 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I love Seattle weather!

...as long as it's the last two weeks in July and the first two weeks in August.

Coincidentally, I just talked with a friend who lives in MD. She used to come visit me in when I lived in Redmond. She was there usually around Seafair time. When talking on the phone this morning, we were reminiscing about going to the torchlight parade, the hydro races, and various other Seafair attractions. She mentioned that she was considering Seattle for retirement at some point because she loved it there so much. She said, "with weather like that all the time, it's got to be the perfect place! Not hot and humid in the summer like it is here on the east coast." I retorted: "weather like that all the time???!!!" She said: "yeah, it's just like that all year long only a little cooler in the winter, right? ...you know, no snow but a little rain in the winter ...moderate temperatures, right?" I burst out laughing. I asked her how in the world did she get THAT impression. She said that she was under the impression that Seattle never got extreme temperatures and the summers were mild and winters were warm.

The only thing I empasized to her was that she keeps saying that she doesn't like "hot and humid" but how is she going to take "cold and humid" 10 months of the year. We ended our conversation with her saying that, "well, I guess I'll have to take a trip to Seattle in the winter then." I said, "hah! yeah, that might be a good idea before you go and commit yourself to anything!"

Ok, so to keep on topic: I love Seattle's weather!

...in August.

--'rocco

Old 04-21-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAggie07 View Post
I know what you mean, Willys. Here in Texas, last weekend it was really windy, rainy, and the highs were in the 50s. I loved it (not so much the wind)...my dad and I went camping. This weekend, it's just hot and humid and I think it's going to be that way for months now. I expect to be tackled by mosquitoes in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to Seattle!
LOL,, I can relate!!When are you going?

BTW, hows the bug situation in Seattle? Lotta skeeters?

Old 04-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Well rocco, I must admit. Cold and humid does not sound attractive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area