U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:25 AM

3 posts, read 11,574 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are planning on moving in a month because my husband got transferred to Bellevue. We currently live in Orange County, Ca and have two young kids-5 & 3. I was wondering about Kenmore. My husband found on a nice house in Kenmore but I don't know much about the city. Is it an okay area? I have read a lot about Kirkland, Redmond and Bellevue but I haven't heard much about Kenmore. Is it pretty far away from things? I am looking forward to slowing our life down a little but at same time I don't want to feel isolated. I have two active children. I have also read in previous posts that Totem Lake is a questionable area. Is that where I would be shopping? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any recommedations for preschools would be wonderful too. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 AM

8,301 posts, read 14,693,547 times
Kenmore is fine. It's a little more industrial than Bellevue or Redmond or Kirkland, but it's also on the lake, and has a huge state park, St. Edwards...It's a little less fancy than some parts of Bellevue or Redmond or Kirkland but it's not unsafe and the school district, Northshore, is considered pretty good. I like Kenmore. It has it's own shopping, and there's plenty more in nearby Bothell or south in Seattle. Totem Lake is not that close, and even Totem Lake is not dangerous.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,204,636 times
If you lived in Kenmore, you'd probably go over to Alderwood mall in Lynwood. Or maybe Northgate.

Last edited by seattlenextyear; 02-23-2009 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 PM

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure it was a safe city and it wasn't too isolated from things. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM

16 posts, read 31,012 times
I live a few minutes from Kenmore, in Bothell, and you might take a peek at that area as well. Kenmore is an area that is "up and coming" and has a great location, whereas Bothell has a bit more small town feeling and also offers good access to Bellevue. Hopefully you are planning to take a trip out here before you make the big move. I have sold real estate all over the eastside and north end for 20 years and I think you will be happy with almost any of the areas within commuting distance to Bellevue. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM

857 posts, read 2,598,780 times
One thing to be aware of is that 405 has terrible traffic. If you're looking on a map and seeing that Bellevue is just a little bit away down the interstate, look again. At rush hour, 405 is often at a standstill.

If he doesn't work a regular shift though, it's not generally a problem.

I know a lady that lives there and she absolutely loves it. She's always bragging about how great it is to live there.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,489,628 times
Kenmore is fine, and safe. There's just one concern. If your husband is going to be working in Bellevue, his commute from Kenmore could take a big chunk out of his life five days a week.

If you're looking at maps, you're probably thinking he can drive to 405 and take 405 south to Bellevue. No. 405 is a parking lot during commuting hours, with cars going at 5 miles an hour, or slower, from 6:30-7AM to 9AM and 3:30PM to 6:00-6:30PM. Not desirable if your husband actually wants to have a family life. He could easily spend two hours or more per day commuting.

You might want to consider Redmond, the northern area of Kirkland, the northern area of Bellevue or south of NE 8th Street in Bellevue. Anything to stay away from driving on 405.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,204,636 times
If you do end up around Kenmore or Bothell, he might consider the possibility of commuting to Bellevue by bus. The Sound Transit bus runs along 405 and gets to HOV it. It might save time to drive to a Park and Ride and take the bus, if the end stop is near his workplace.

Sound Transit: 532, 535 Everett - Bellevue Express Route Map (http://www.soundtransit.org/x10344.xml - broken link)

Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 4,226,741 times
As someone who grew up in Orange County, I recommend Issaquah (where I currently live). It has newer areas that have an Orange County feel, but a quaint old town area. It's super family friendly, with great schools!

Traffic on I-90 is nothing compared to traffic on the 405 up here. The 405 up here is worse than the 405 down there, or at least as bad.

V. =)

Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 PM

Thank you for your advice. How is the school district there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area