Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Zek Zek started this thread

2 posts, read 3,940 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating this May and planning to move out to Seattle(from New Jersey, with a B.S. in Comp Sci), but I don't have a job lined up. I doubt I'll be able to fly out for an interview before then so I'm hoping to line up as many as possible for after I arrive. I can stay without a job for a little while, but the sooner I find something the better obviously. A couple questions about making this work:

1. Is it too soon to start sending out applications? I'm not sure if it's reasonable to be applying now when I still can't interview for 2+ months.

2. How likely am I to be passed up for having an out-of-state address? I'll mention in the cover letter that I'm planning to move to Seattle, but should I also find a Seattle mailing address to put on my resume even though they can see I'm still in school in NJ?

3. If I don't have luck getting interviews in advance, how reliably could I find something with a temp agency over there while I look? I'd like to get a grasp on the worst case scenario before taking the plunge.

Or any other pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 PM

15 posts, read 75,808 times
Here's my 2cents. I am moving to Seattle as well in June. I was hoping to transfer with my current company. I did do a trip to check out potential neighborhoods, the nightlife and met with a manager in seattle's district for my company. Didn't look too promising. But, I did network with other companys. Didn't fill out any apps, but it's good to just get your name out there. So, start looking at companies online that interest you, call them and if at all possible try to get the manager/head person to speak with. Tell them your situation, ASK about the job market your interested in. Just so you'll get an Idea. And hey, who knows it's only 3mo away......... there might not be an opening today, but things to change and it'll be nice to have your name in their thoughts. Any, that's how I'm taking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area