Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 PM

161 posts, read 560,030 times

Advertisements

I am really sick of Comcast. Ive tried the Dish Network and hated it even more. I'm told that Viacom will be coming into the area,but in the mean time who is Comcast's competitor? Can anyone tell me? I want to watch my shows,but why is cable so expensive. Somebody tell me!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 PM

48 posts, read 267,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
I am really sick of Comcast. Ive tried the Dish Network and hated it even more. I'm told that Viacom will be coming into the area,but in the mean time who is Comcast's competitor? Can anyone tell me? I want to watch my shows,but why is cable so expensive. Somebody tell me!!!!
Viacom owns a bunch of cable channels (MTV, BET, etc), they do not provide cable service.

I believe you're thinking of Verizon FIOS, which is a new fiber optic network that provides television, phone & internet service. They're slowly rolling out the service in the Puget Sound area. ww.verizon.com/fiostv (broken link)

Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Get Qwest DSL inernet (or use your own provider....we had Broasdstripe and they >SUCK<.)
Get laptop with HDMI. Slap HDMI on big screen TV. Watch internet TV.
It's what I did...actually, it's what I did for my wife, since we don't have Japanese channels available where we live....and I don't watch TV , anyways. Well, let's see. I watched TV last.....december. Sometime. I think.
Jnetwork, I think it was called.

Yeah, computer TV is a pain to boot up and load the page or download your show. So is freaking Comcast. But you know what? To get Japanese TV in my apartments would've cost me more and been more of a hassle than just using the PC. (Get a dish/have it installed/get a package/get a japanese package/maybe service just as crappy as Broadstripe.) And *bonus* she's got a 40 inch computer monitor now. Actually, I *did* try and get Dish and they forgot to schedule my install....so I told them to take a long walk off of a short pier. It just put a bad taste in my mouth. (If they can't schedule an install, what happens if my TV service dies?)

You can also get TV from your VGA out, but it will be lower resolution. And you may have to set your desktop to 800 X 600 or something low like that. (My big screen has a VGA in.)

http://sewelldirect.com/PC-to-TV-Con...roduct=SW-4262

Here's an article with screen shots and an explanation.

Last edited by 70Ford; 03-11-2009 at 11:55 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
Just curious - what did you hate about Dish Network? I haven't tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
I am really sick of Comcast. Ive tried the Dish Network and hated it even more.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
What do you like to watch? Most TV shows can be seen on the internet using sites like hulu.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 PM

161 posts, read 560,030 times
I like Heros, BSG and HGTV. I also watch a few shows on BBC America. I bought the Dish network because for the past 15 years I have been watching a British soap. I know is cheesy,but I love it. After pbs stopped airing it,the only way you could watch it was through the DISH network. I had a hard time getting the channel that I paid an extra 10 bucks to see AND my receiver was registered to a man in Tenn ( I live in Seattle) and they never took his name off it. Strange....

Anyways I was so upset,I cancelled DISH,but I told my EE group that I would no longer be on the forum b/c I was having all of these problems getting the show. Thankfully someone piped up and told me they had a ring and so now the shows come to my house b/c someone is kind enough ( and more of a fan than I am) to tape them and send them out to everyone so I can watch them at my leisure...awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area