Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
We haven't had a sunny or even partly cloudy day in more than a week, and it's honestly starting to put me on edge.
I've been loving it!! Seriously!

I concur that the downtown Seattle area seems to get more sun than the Eastside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times
It is interesting how subjective it is. I'll think, at the end of the day, Wow! What a beautiful day! A light breeze, blue skies, love the angle of the sun, great day. For several days in a row. Then one day my husband will come home and grumble about the awful weather this week. I'm thinking, what? Huh? Were we in the same city? But if he saw one minute of overcast it was "all cloudy", and if drizzled for twenty minutes (even if it then cleared up and the sun shone for hours), it was "another rainy week". And he believes it, too -- he's surprised if I try to say that it was actually really nice most of the day.

Nobody here can agree on weather the "official" reports are right, it seems, either. You'd think it would be relatively easy to objectively determine if it was "25% cloudy" or "75% cloudy", but apparently it's not....

Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Jenlion - LOL - Kind of like that ad they used to run on PBS Kids when my boys were toddlers "It's all how you look at it".

Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 PM

16 posts, read 40,187 times
If a person gets depressed easily the winters are not for you here. We have alot of cloudy rainy days. The summers are short and on the cool side but comfty.

I used to love it here but after 20 yrs. and getting up in age I prefer to live where there is more sunshine and warmth. Can't sell though in this economy
so will have to wait it out. Went to Vegas for a visit and I felt good. No soreness in my bones and I felt alive and happy with all the sunshine.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
It is interesting how subjective it is. I'll think, at the end of the day, Wow! What a beautiful day! A light breeze, blue skies, love the angle of the sun, great day. For several days in a row. Then one day my husband will come home and grumble about the awful weather this week. I'm thinking, what? Huh? Were we in the same city? But if he saw one minute of overcast it was "all cloudy", and if drizzled for twenty minutes (even if it then cleared up and the sun shone for hours), it was "another rainy week". And he believes it, too -- he's surprised if I try to say that it was actually really nice most of the day.

Nobody here can agree on weather the "official" reports are right, it seems, either. You'd think it would be relatively easy to objectively determine if it was "25% cloudy" or "75% cloudy", but apparently it's not....
When I say a day is cloudy, it is cloudy. On Saturday, I saw maybe 20 minutes of sun the whole day, because of a "sun break". 20 minutes of sun out of a 12+ hour day does not a sunny day make.

I don't get how anyone could find this pleasant, because I'm really losing it here.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 PM

I know what you mean tada. There is not much sun shining lately and forecast is rain for the whole week and maybe more. What can I say? This is the Seattle weather system. I hope one day to move to Vegas but will have to put up with the cloudy days for a long while I believe.

I read somewhere that a person needs 10 to 15 min. of sun 3 days a week to get the full vitamin D that the body needs. Good luck Seattlites!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyat60 View Post
Good luck Seattlites!
Good luck indeed...

Supposedly even if it is sunny, it's not the right wavelength at this time of year at this latitude. High latitudes suck.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Yea that's true. A sunny day when it's so cold out isn't my cup of tea. Well, there's only 3 months or so till July when it should be a bit warmer.Ha!

Even that time of year it has been known to be chilly.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:39 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
When I say a day is cloudy, it is cloudy. On Saturday, I saw maybe 20 minutes of sun the whole day, because of a "sun break". 20 minutes of sun out of a 12+ hour day does not a sunny day make.

I don't get how anyone could find this pleasant, because I'm really losing it here.
But.. but....

Wait a minute, Tada, as a student, maybe you sleep in late. ALL Saturday morning was bright and sunny! I have an almost-two-year-old that rarely sleeps past 7am. So, we saw the bright and sunny morning through noon. It started to cloud up about then.

You missed almost five hours of bright sunshine, I swear.

You should maybe take up photography. You'll love the low-level light then. It's the "golden hour" everywhere else... just before sunset where it lights everything up golden. Here, you get that "golden hour" for several hours of the day. It's beautiful.

But I did get my husband a sunlamp....

Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
But.. but....

Wait a minute, Tada, as a student, maybe you sleep in late. ALL Saturday morning was bright and sunny! I have an almost-two-year-old that rarely sleeps past 7am. So, we saw the bright and sunny morning through noon. It started to cloud up about then.

You missed almost five hours of bright sunshine, I swear.

You should maybe take up photography. You'll love the low-level light then. It's the "golden hour" everywhere else... just before sunset where it lights everything up golden. Here, you get that "golden hour" for several hours of the day. It's beautiful.

But I did get my husband a sunlamp....
More like a recent graduate, with no job (Big surprise. People with experience are having a hard time finding a job. What hope do I have?). So yeah, there's no real obligation to get up early for me. The fact that we have had so many cloudy days recently just tells me "bleh, don't get up, keep sleeping" and I end up sleeping until about 11 am.

Also, during summer, it's very easy to fall into this pattern when the mornings are cloudy and the afternoons/evenings are sunny.

Last edited by tada; 03-24-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area