U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,452,513 times

Advertisements

If it wasn't for its proximity to the Canadian border and Vancouver, I'd say it's isolated. (There's something exciting about driving through the customs booths, flashing a passport, answering some prying questions and watching the signage switch to kms.). The first handful of times I went to Vancouver, I thought "wow...unbelievable." However, once you've been to Vancouver over and over because it's a mere 2 hours from Seattle, Vancouver gets boring, too (it's like a more international version of Seattle, with slightly more dismal weather). So, yeah, the PNW/Seattle area is not like the Northeast or So. Cal. where the options of lots of nearby areas with "critical mass" seem to almost define those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 PM

309 posts, read 674,812 times
Less "isolated" say, than Boise, Idaho or Great Falls, Montana. Certainly "isolated" when you think in terms of the North East coast.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM

124 posts, read 242,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
I don't think you understand what it is to be a world class city. Lets see, what would you consider World class?

NYC is often considered world class, it has homeless.

London has homless.

Paris has homeless.

Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong... They ALL have homeless.

Seattle has the most homless I've seen, if it is worse than that, I would wonder what is wrong, but you know what? World class isnt' defined by how few homeless a city has.
Never been to San Francisco, Austin Texas, or even Portland Maine?

They all have homeless problems that are FAR worse than Seattle. One of the things I like about Seattle is the lack of a homeless problem as compared to San Francisco.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 5,464,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post

They all have homeless problems that are FAR worse than Seattle. One of the things I like about Seattle is the lack of a homeless problem as compared to San Francisco.
I just moved from Seattle to Austin about two months ago and I'd say they are pretty equivalent in terms of homelessness from what I can tell. Where are you getting your numbers?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 PM

309 posts, read 674,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Actually, no.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 PM

2,857 posts, read 3,915,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDonut View Post
Too isolated?
Perfectly isolated, I'd say.

Being tucked away in a corner of the country no one thinks about is part of what appeals to me about Seattle. Out here on the East Coast, you can travel from D.C. to Boston and almost never leave an urban environment. I'd be happy for less of a crush of people for a change.

Got my fingers crossed that my wife and I can make the move to Seattle this year. We're all "peopled out" from being here in the D.C. area.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 3,915,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
If Vancouver is considered one of the top cities in the world, why was it chock full of homeless when I visited? I have visited dozens of major cities in the US and Canada, and never have I seen so much homelessness.
Oh, boy, go to Portland, OR. My wife and I were shocked at how much homelessness there was ... and how aggressive some of the panhandlers were, even right down in the center of the city, in the business district.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 4,389,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If it wasn't for its proximity to the Canadian border and Vancouver, I'd say it's isolated. (There's something exciting about driving through the customs booths, flashing a passport, answering some prying questions and watching the signage switch to kms.). The first handful of times I went to Vancouver, I thought "wow...unbelievable." However, once you've been to Vancouver over and over because it's a mere 2 hours from Seattle, Vancouver gets boring, too (it's like a more international version of Seattle, with slightly more dismal weather). So, yeah, the PNW/Seattle area is not like the Northeast or So. Cal. where the options of lots of nearby areas with "critical mass" seem to almost define those areas.
Thankfully it is not like So. Cal or the Northeast...I don't think I could live here if it was!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:59 PM

576 posts, read 1,289,755 times
Unfortunately, you have either homeless or ghettoes. Pick your poison.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:40 PM

124 posts, read 242,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I just moved from Seattle to Austin about two months ago and I'd say they are pretty equivalent in terms of homelessness from what I can tell. Where are you getting your numbers?
Anecdotal. I travel weekly across the country for my job. Last week I was in Austin. There were homeless people on nearly every on-ramp to 183 that I saw in north Austin the entire time. I live in the Pacific Heights neighborhood of San Francisco. Supposedly one of the richer areas of town. In the park across the street there are 5 or 6 regular homeless people, 2 blocks away on a street corner there are places where 5-10 people normally sleep. Ever been to the civic center area of SF? Last year it was a mess. There are actual tent cities in golden gate park with homeless.

I was in Seattle 2-3 weeks ago and didn't really notice a homeless problem. The entire time I was there I saw maybe 5 or 6 homeless. So, I really don't see the reason for the complaining. A quick google search doesn't seem to turn up any hard numbers on homeless rates by city. The only thing I saw was this:

http://i.usatoday.net/news/graphics/...s_veterans.gif

and it looks like CA and TX are both worse than WA state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area